HTC Amaze vs HTC One XL Photo quality

OP souleater11

28th April 2014, 10:21 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 31

546 posts
hello everyone,
Since the Amaze have 2 camera flash leds, does it mean it takes quality photos compare to Htc One XL (US variant)?

Sent from my SGH-T959 using xda app-developers app
28th April 2014, 11:34 PM   |  #2  
Flag San Pedro
Thanks Meter: 118

301 posts
More
amaze xl camera
Here are specs for Amaze One XL camera:

8 megapixel camera with auto focus, smart LED flash, and BSI sensor (for better low-light captures)
F2.0 aperture and 28mm lens
1080p HD video recording
Dedicated imaging chip
Capture a photo in the midst of recording HD video
Auto flash smartly determined by distance from your subject
Single LED flash
Video stabilization feature removes annoying, shaky motion
High quality slow motion video capture and playback
Simultaneous video-photo capture.
It uses a BSI sensor whose manufacturer I did not learn.

Here are specs for Amaze 4G camera:

8mp auto-focus, dual-LED flash, BSI sensor
F2.2 and 28mm lens
No slo-mo
No smart flash
2 LED flash
No simultaneous video-photo capture

Even not knowing who makes the BSI sensor in the One XL, and even though it is single instead of dual LED flash, I would probably prefer to have the camera of the One XL in my Amaze.
The Amaze had the "Best" camera on a smartphone at the time, and the One XL has the same pixel-count besides another similar set of features, but improves physically with the F2.0 aperture alone.
Considering that it lets in more light, has slo-mo and the ability to capture photos while videoing, I would prefer to have that camera in my Amaze. I was VERY pleased with Amaze ability, and would probably be even more pleased with XL ability. Lack of one LED for flash, and the possibility that it is a newer-gen sensor is a gamble I'd take. But XL doesn't support the 1700 band that most of T-mo's network needs for 4G.
We don't know the LED spec or the sensor specs, thus don't know what difference 1 or 2 LED's will make. I personally would prefer the newer camera, EXCEPT, I would not want to switch from the 8mp I currently have to the 4mp of the HTC One unless camera samples showed it to be in all cases remarkably superior.
You can google around for camera samples, and decide suits you.
Last edited by pbergonzi; 1st May 2014 at 08:37 AM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pbergonzi For This Useful Post: [ View ]
30th April 2014, 06:25 PM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 8

32 posts
The sensor in the Amaze identifies itself as a Samsung product S5K3H2YX. I believe it is the same sensor that was used in the Galaxy SII and HTC One X with better glass than the SII had. It is not a Sony Exmor-R sensor as far as I know.
Last edited by sam_conrad; 30th April 2014 at 06:30 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to sam_conrad For This Useful Post: [ View ]
30th April 2014, 07:35 PM   |  #4  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 31

546 posts
Thanks for detailed response guys, this thread could be also a comparsion between HTC Amaze and HTC One S (Htc Amaze successor with amoled screen)

Sent from my SGH-T959 using XDA Free mobile app
1st May 2014, 08:33 AM   |  #5  
Flag San Pedro

301 posts
More
cmos
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_conrad

The sensor in the Amaze identifies itself as a Samsung product S5K3H2YX. I believe it is the same sensor that was used in the Galaxy SII and HTC One X with better glass than the SII had. It is not a Sony Exmor-R sensor as far as I know.

Thank you for clarifying. How did you learn that about your phone..., how can I learn that about mine?
I apologize for the misinformation--I corrected the post.
3rd May 2014, 02:43 AM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 8

32 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbergonzi

Thank you for clarifying. How did you learn that about your phone..., how can I learn that about mine?
I apologize for the misinformation--I corrected the post.

It's in the official HTC Ruby ICS source code.
The only drivers included are for MT9D015 (front 2MP sensor) and S5K3H2YX (read 8MP sensor).
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sam_conrad For This Useful Post: [ View ]
3rd May 2014, 04:50 PM   |  #7  
Flag San Pedro

301 posts
More
Samsung camera.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_conrad

It's in the official HTC Ruby ICS source code.
The only drivers included are for MT9D015 (front 2MP sensor) and S5K3H2YX (read 8MP sensor).

Thanks again. I bought the phone thinking it had Sony! Been bragging about it for 2 years. Oops. Fantastic camera, regardless.
Maybe Sony gets there CMOS's from Samsung too. J.K.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread