Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Safe guarding 4.3(jellybean), stoping the shield from updating?

OP Edwii

3rd May 2014, 05:04 PM   |  #11  
Thanks Meter: 54

250 posts
Well I'm glad that I checked out XDA before I purchased a shield. I was looking for emulators, some android gaming, and for sure PC streaming since I have a powerful rig. I'll wait until Nvidia gets this stuff sorted. I planned to root and unlock so I'm not too worried about the external storage issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
3rd May 2014, 05:54 PM   |  #12  
Thanks Meter: 326

3,289 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDeviant

"A better emulator"

That just isn't really the problem though, these same emulators were perfect before.

If you have them both, please try Castlevania Aria of Sorrow on GBA.emu
It's unplayable on 4.4, but perfect on later android versions, even with 0 frameskip and hq2x rendering. Now on the other hand, the My Boy! emulator seems to work nearly as well on both android versions and I played through Tomba with FPse partly with 4.3, and finishing it on 4.4, I noticed very little difference. So not all emulators have taken a hit, but it's there even in the system.. and don't get me started on battery life.

Basically I'm kinda agreeing with you. But, there is some issue either with Android 4.4, or whatever Nvidia did.

A little more on Topic. Ever since I disabled the notification from Google Services, and deleted the update from the cache partition, It hasn't downloaded again! It's been 2 days since I did that, and It's had plenty of times to download an OTA. (reboots, sleep with wifi on, etc.) It might download if you go to the update settings, so watch out.

Unless you are a gamer/emulator fan, you probably will not notice as much, but we do. Smooth with 4.2 to stuttery with 4.4 is not an option IMO, so 4.4 is not happening- unless there is an update to fix it

People refer to Retroarch, but compared to the other dedicated emulators, it does not have the same level of features (nor perform as good with some). Also, the lack of individual system defined directories for the different roms is a major pain.
Last edited by rushless; 3rd May 2014 at 05:56 PM.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread