Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,730,051 Members 53,807 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Why can't I use my Verizon device with Ting?

Tip us?

jsaxton86
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Why can't I use my Verizon device with Ting?

Hi,

I currently have an unlocked, out-of-contract Verizon Galaxy Nexus, and I'm considering switching to Ting, a MVNO that uses Sprint's network. However, Ting says this isn't supported, and I was hoping someone here could help me understand why.

As I understand it, both Sprint and Verizon use CDMA, so I already have the hardware I need to communicate with Sprint's network. However, the ESN on my phone is not currently whitelisted on the Sprint network, therefore it won't work.

Ting has a bring your own device program. If your phone is on their whitelist, and it is Sprint branded, you can use it with their network. So I guess what I'm struggling to understand is why Sprint branded phones will work, but non-Sprint branded phones will not.

Is the fundamental issue simply here that Sprint refuses to whitelist my ESN because it is a Verizon phone? Or is there a technical reason why I can't use my Verizon Galaxy Nexus with Sprint? Is there anything I can do get my existing phone to work with Ting?

Thanks,
John

gareth7yo
Old
Thanks Meter 0

DONATE TO ME
there's pseudo-technical reason, and it boils down to the big V is a stupid way, the reason is that Verizon uses a weird (read: f***ed up) way of authenticating devices on their "CDMA" network, Verizon uses WCDMA/CDMA2000 style authentication even for the 4g towers, and the hybrid AAA/HA keys they use were developed by them for use only on their network, this is why, primarily, that sprint phones are incompatible on verizon and vis-versa (Also, anecdotaly why Verizon 4G phones are a pain to put on Verizon MVNOs though with the GNex it is possible, I have mine on page plus using Sprint's CDMA radio firmware, and YES everything, even 3G data works fine, and no, no ESN swap was needed). Basically it's a ploy to keep Verizon phones, well, on Verizon..