Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,806,815 Members 40,510 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

OTA

Tip us?
 
naveediftikhar
Old
#1  
naveediftikhar's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 51
Posts: 396
Join Date: Jul 2011
Default OTA

hello guys...m new to m8 as i just received mine yesterday...as of today its rooted..unlocked and s-off with supercid..but what i need to know is, will ota updates work in this current condition?...or do i need to flash the latest firmware in ruu form...and will flashing wipe my device?
why do all the dirty work..when dev's can cook it for u
 
jaythenut
Old
#2  
jaythenut's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 1,503
Posts: 5,131
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by naveediftikhar View Post
hello guys...m new to m8 as i just received mine yesterday...as of today its rooted..unlocked and s-off with supercid..but what i need to know is, will ota updates work in this current condition?...or do i need to flash the latest firmware in ruu form...and will flashing wipe my device?
I think as long as you don't have a custom rom on it should be OK
But not %100 on that
 
d1v
Old
#3  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 22
Join Date: May 2010
Has anyone posted a flashable zip version of the OTA for the unlocked/dev version?
 
EddyOS
Old
#4  
EddyOS's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3,046
Posts: 13,301
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Liverpool, Merseyside
You need to have a 100% stock system (bar root), including the stock recovery and kernel, to flash an OTA as it requires the stock build to be able to upgrade it. Root files are additional so aren't checked, although you'll probably have to re-root the phone once the OTA is complete
OnePlus One A0001 (Sandstone Grey) 64GB
ROM: CyanogenMod 11S (XNPH33R) | Bootloader: Stock | Recovery: Stock | Radio: Stock | Kernel: Stock

Google Nexus 5 D821 (Black) 32GB
ROM: Android 4.4.4 (KTU84P) | Bootloader: HHZ11K | Recovery: Stock | Radio: 2.0.50.1.16 | Kernel: Stock

If you have a question, great - but DO NOT PM ME WITH IT!!! | [GUIDE] Return your EU M8 to 100% Stock (S-OFF Required) | [GUIDE] Return your OPO to 100% Stock
The Following User Says Thank You to EddyOS For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
naveediftikhar
Old
#5  
naveediftikhar's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 51
Posts: 396
Join Date: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddyOS View Post
You need to have a 100% stock system (bar root), including the stock recovery and kernel, to flash an OTA as it requires the stock build to be able to upgrade it. Root files are additional so aren't checked, although you'll probably have to re-root the phone once the OTA is complete
I have got a 100% stock phone apart from soff and unlocked bootloader...but kindly tell me that using the ruu updates avaiable here in some threads work? As they are of 45mb while the ota update is off 119mb..does that mean to get a full update feel ill have to flash a latest update custom rom with this ruu update?..ive been using nexus 4 before this so kindly excuse the complicated querries !

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using xda premium
why do all the dirty work..when dev's can cook it for u
 
EddyOS
Old
#6  
EddyOS's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3,046
Posts: 13,301
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Liverpool, Merseyside
Quote:
Originally Posted by naveediftikhar View Post
I have got a 100% stock phone apart from soff and unlocked bootloader...but kindly tell me that using the ruu updates avaiable here in some threads work? As they are of 45mb while the ota update is off 119mb..does that mean to get a full update feel ill have to flash a latest update custom rom with this ruu update?..ive been using nexus 4 before this so kindly excuse the complicated querries !

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using xda premium
If you're just S-OFF/unlocked but otherwise 100% stock the OTA will be fine. There are no RUUs available yet bar the Sprint Harman Karmon one - hopefully more will arrive eventually
OnePlus One A0001 (Sandstone Grey) 64GB
ROM: CyanogenMod 11S (XNPH33R) | Bootloader: Stock | Recovery: Stock | Radio: Stock | Kernel: Stock

Google Nexus 5 D821 (Black) 32GB
ROM: Android 4.4.4 (KTU84P) | Bootloader: HHZ11K | Recovery: Stock | Radio: 2.0.50.1.16 | Kernel: Stock

If you have a question, great - but DO NOT PM ME WITH IT!!! | [GUIDE] Return your EU M8 to 100% Stock (S-OFF Required) | [GUIDE] Return your OPO to 100% Stock
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes