Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,772,214 Members 43,475 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Upgrading from 4.2 to 4.4

Tip us?
 
callysta
Old
#1  
callysta's Avatar
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 6
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: California
Default [Q] Upgrading from 4.2 to 4.4

My Google powers are wearing out, so I figure I will ask directly.

I am currently rooted, running the stock ROM on my L720. The android version is 4.2.2 and the build is JDQ39.L720VPUAMDL. I want to upgrade to 4.4, but I want to either keep it rooted or be able to reroot the phone.

Currently I can turn on my Hotspot with no additional app. I want to be able to continue using my phone as a HS. This is essential. A functionality my phone doesn't have is the ability to move apps to SD.

Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated. (And I'm sure this question is asked a thousand times a day, but google and search are failing me ) Thank you so much!
 
daniel4653
Old
#2  
daniel4653's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 2621
Posts: 8,183
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Southern California
Odin NAE tar, root, flash hotspot mod. Done.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 05:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:44 PM ----------

Also this will give you Knox. If you don't want Knox there is a thread to keep your older bootlaoder

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk


 
Team Kernelizers: Making the best out of your phone
The Following User Says Thank You to daniel4653 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
callysta
Old
#3  
callysta's Avatar
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 6
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel4653 View Post
Odin NAE tar, root, flash hotspot mod. Done.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 05:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:44 PM ----------

Also this will give you Knox. If you don't want Knox there is a thread to keep your older bootlaoder

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
Is this like Sprint's android version of herpes?

I admit that I am a bit confused. Do I need to unroot my phone before I do this? I hate asking for help, but I really don't want to screw up my hotspot
The Following User Says Thank You to callysta For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
daniel4653
Old
#4  
daniel4653's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 2621
Posts: 8,183
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Southern California
Quote:
Originally Posted by callysta View Post
Is this like Sprint's android version of herpes?

I admit that I am a bit confused. Do I need to unroot my phone before I do this? I hate asking for help, but I really don't want to screw up my hotspot
Hahah it can be compared to that , although I swear I wouldn't know. :P

To understand Knox, Google it and read up on it. Its just a Samsung warranty /security thing. Most of us don't care having it or tripping the Knox flag.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 07:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:00 PM ----------

You don't need to unroot to Odin a tar file.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 07:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:02 PM ----------

If you decide you don't want Knox, this would be the thread you want. Follow the directions correctly and you should be up and running. http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2277480

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 08:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:43 PM ----------

And here is the thread for hotspot mod for NAE odex and deodex.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2653666
Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk


 
Team Kernelizers: Making the best out of your phone
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to daniel4653 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
callysta
Old
#5  
callysta's Avatar
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 6
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel4653 View Post
Hahah it can be compared to that , although I swear I wouldn't know. :P

To understand Knox, Google it and read up on it. Its just a Samsung warranty /security thing. Most of us don't care having it or tripping the Knox flag.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 07:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:00 PM ----------

You don't need to unroot to Odin a tar file.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 07:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:02 PM ----------

If you decide you don't want Knox, this would be the thread you want. Follow the directions correctly and you should be up and running. http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2277480

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 08:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:43 PM ----------

And here is the thread for hotspot mod for NAE odex and deodex.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2653666
Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
Wish me luck! I will have to do this during recess tomorrow! I'm a little nervous about bricking my phone
 
daniel4653
Old
#6  
daniel4653's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 2621
Posts: 8,183
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Southern California
Quote:
Originally Posted by callysta View Post
Wish me luck! I will have to do this during recess tomorrow! I'm a little nervous about bricking my phone
How did it go? :P

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk


 
Team Kernelizers: Making the best out of your phone
 
w7excursion
Old
#7  
w7excursion's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 150
Posts: 576
Join Date: Nov 2007
Not good he can't use his phone to login lol jk
Nandroid - drank

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes