App Review: Calculating Your Android Calculator Options

Sure, everyone has a default Calculator and its something that you dont think about … more

MultiROM Once Again Available for the Galaxy S4

Multiboot, or the ability to select betweenmultiple operating systems on a single device at … more

Build an Impractical But Awesome Lego Mindstorm Dock

The vast majority of what we cover here on the XDA-Developers News Portal relates to … more

MultiROM Makes its Way Over to the HTC One (M8)

While browsing our forum, you will undoubtedly find more than a few enticing ROMs available … more

XCOM finally available on the app store...

25th April 2014, 09:21 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Hertfordshire (Herts)
Thanks Meter: 66

294 posts
... but not compatible with this device. I've been wanting it for so long. I have it for my iphone, but the screen is too small to comfortably play it.

Shame
26th April 2014, 01:39 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 9

45 posts
Bought and enjoying it immensely, identical to the pc/console, if anything it may even be better. If anyone wants to support games development for android, get xcom asap.
27th April 2014, 07:47 AM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member

294 posts
You got it for your note 8?? It's saying not available for any of my devices

Sent from my iPhone
27th April 2014, 08:07 AM   |  #4  
Flag Dawson Creek
Thanks Meter: 6

33 posts
Donate to Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertsjoatmon

You got it for your note 8?? It's saying not available for any of my devices

Sent from my iPhone

If I had to guess, he probably used market helper, made the Play Store think he's on a Nexus 7 or Nexus 10 or something, and got it that way.
28th April 2014, 01:36 PM   |  #5  
OP Senior Member

294 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArobeeTV

If I had to guess, he probably used market helper, made the Play Store think he's on a Nexus 7 or Nexus 10 or something, and got it that way.

apparently its available for my ancient asus transformer tf101 but not my note 8. I'll give that market helper a try.
2nd May 2014, 02:48 PM   |  #6  
Flag Calgary
Thanks Meter: 28

68 posts
More
I bought it on my note 2 and transferred it to my note 8 and it works flawlessly. Fantastic game!

Sent from my GT-N7105 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to drezman For This Useful Post: [ View ]
2nd May 2014, 02:51 PM   |  #7  
OP Senior Member

294 posts
Is that easy to do? Says I can install it on my old Asia transformer. Would run poorly on that thiugh

Sent from my iPhone
2nd May 2014, 08:20 PM   |  #8  
Flag Calgary
Thanks Meter: 28

68 posts
More
It's pretty easy. I made a backup of the app with titanium backup, copied all the files that start with "com.tt2kgames." from the titanium backup folder on my note 2 to the titanium backup folder on my note 8, restored the app with titanium backup on my note 8, and then copied the "com.tt2kgames.xcomeu" folder and its contents from /sdcard/Android/obb on my note 2 to the same location on my note 8. Hit the xcom icon and stated blasting et's.

Sent from my GT-N5100 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
3rd May 2014, 11:19 PM   |  #9  
Flag Chicago
Thanks Meter: 100

137 posts
More
Pretty slick installation tricks. That's mucho annoying when games / apps "aren't available" on a certain device via the Play Store, but work completely fine once sideloaded. This was the case with Real Boxing; I saw it on the Play Store at one point on my Note 8, then I think it went on sale so I bought and installed it on my phone, but when I got around to putting it on my tablet, versions 1.x - 1.y where "incompatible", then once it hit 1.z it showed up for the Note 8 again.

Anyways, I wanted to check out XCOM on the big screen (bought it on my Note 3), so but I had the Playstore incompatibility and a lack of storage space on my tablet for the pretty-heavy obb file. I use the hell out of FolderMount to leverage space on my 64 GB external sd, so I first planned to send the game's TB from my Note 3 to the 8, import it, then mount the obb file on the extSD. No luck, not enough storage for the restore. So then I tried this: made an empty folder in sdcard0/Android/obb called com.tt2kgames.xcomeu, used FolderMount to mount that folder on extSD via the built-in file browser, made sure that folder was mounted, copied the game's apk and obb file onto my handy new 32 gig OTG flash drive (I got the Transcend one on Amazon... it's like half an in long and has a regular USB connection on one side and a micro usb with a cap on the other), installed the apk on the Note 8, then copied the obb file into the symlinked / mounted folder on the external micro sd, crossed my fingers, lost my grip on my tablet and dropped it, picked it up with a normal grip and launched the game... and it worked!

It plays pretty well on the Note 8 compared to the 3, just takes about 4x longer to load. I've never played this game on a different platform, or this type of gaming in general, but it's pretty fun. Definitely pretty impressive and no buyer's-remorse for dropping $10 on it. Probably would feel differently if I wasn't successful installing it on both of my devices though.

The Following User Says Thank You to jazzmachine For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread