Browse Your Files with Ease using MK Explorer

Google has made quite an effort in perfecting the powerful and multi-faceted OS that we know as … more

How to Fix the Nexus Available Storage Bug – XDA TV

Is your Nexus device only showing half of the available storage as it should? Many … more

Don’t Forget About Birthdays with Birthday Reminder

A person’s birthday is, without a doubt,one of the most important days in his … more

Don’t Fear Flashing with I Don’t Want You!

The XDA message boards are full of various modifications, with many of these helping … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Chromecast not seen on network since 16664 update

OP troycarpenter

2nd May 2014, 01:33 AM   |  #11  
OP Senior Member
Flag Atlanta
Thanks Meter: 99

435 posts
Using a bonjour browser, I can see the entry for the Chromecast :

Quote:

_googlecast._tcp.local.
Bedroom.local.:8009
/192.168.254.193

st = 0
ve = 02
md = Chromecast
ic = /setup/icon.png
id = [a very long number]
fn = Bedroom
ca = 5

I'm running the browser that sees that from a Samsung tablet, which is also running the Chromecast setup app that says it can't find the Chromecast.

EDIT: I've tried the factory default recovery method a number of times now. I see the bonjour record go away, then come back after the setup app says I'm ready to cast. All apps can see the Chromecast at that time, then after 3 to 5 minutes, they no longer see the Chromecast. I don't see any difference in the bonjour record when it working from when it's not working.
Last edited by troycarpenter; 2nd May 2014 at 02:01 AM.
2nd May 2014, 04:18 AM   |  #12  
Thanks Meter: 327

1,907 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by troycarpenter

Using a bonjour browser, I can see the entry for the Chromecast :
I'm running the browser that sees that from a Samsung tablet, which is also running the Chromecast setup app that says it can't find the Chromecast.

Just a longshot....But do you have any security software that could be blocking some Apps from communicating with the Network?

It sounds an awful lot like what happens when an AntiVirus Application Monitor has denied access.
2nd May 2014, 05:20 AM   |  #13  
OP Senior Member
Flag Atlanta

435 posts
Hmm, No, I don't think so.

But I found something interesting. My laptop CAN see the Chromecast, and I can cast Chrome tabs just fine. So far it's only the Android devices that can't see the Chromecast (and at the same time the laptop can). I'm looking for my iPad (I don't use it enough to keep track of it as close as I should) to see if it sees the Chromecast or not.
2nd May 2014, 06:23 AM   |  #14  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 883

2,250 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Hmm, No, I don't think so.

But I found something interesting. My laptop CAN see the Chromecast, and I can cast Chrome tabs just fine. So far it's only the Android devices that can't see the Chromecast (and at the same time the laptop can).

That's really odd. Your network has only the ASUS router for wireless, no repeaters or extenders?

-= this post enhanced with bonus mobile typos =-
2nd May 2014, 03:56 PM   |  #15  
OP Senior Member
Flag Atlanta

435 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhiga

That's really odd. Your network has only the ASUS router for wireless, no repeaters or extenders?

-= this post enhanced with bonus mobile typos =-

I do have an extender (not a wireless repeater) in place, but it didn't make any difference before the latest Chromecast update. My next step is to try removing the extender, but I don't know if the Chromecast will see the signal coming from the other side of the house (the reason the extender was put in to begin with).
2nd May 2014, 06:16 PM   |  #16  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 883

2,250 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:

I do have an extender (not a wireless repeater) in place, but it didn't make any difference before the latest Chromecast update. My next step is to try removing the extender, but I don't know if the Chromecast will see the signal coming from the other side of the house (the reason the extender was put in to begin with).

It's quite possible that the update changed something about the WiFi connection that your network simply does not like. People have noted similar "introduced issues" with HDMI before. Definitely submit a report with them if you haven't already, and request that updates NOT be forced to avoid issues like this. Being able to dismiss, postpone or even roll back an update would prevent this type of thing.

If it's not the build, I'm not sure what else it might be, unless your router has somehow quarantined your other Android devices on another band or SSID somehow.
4th May 2014, 04:24 AM   |  #17  
OP Senior Member
Flag Atlanta

435 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhiga

It's quite possible that the update changed something about the WiFi connection that your network simply does not like. People have noted similar "introduced issues" with HDMI before. Definitely submit a report with them if you haven't already, and request that updates NOT be forced to avoid issues like this. Being able to dismiss, postpone or even roll back an update would prevent this type of thing.

If it's not the build, I'm not sure what else it might be, unless your router has somehow quarantined your other Android devices on another band or SSID somehow.

Looks like I switched off TKIP and just went AES on that network at some time. I went back and turned on AES+TKIP and now the Chromecast shows up on my mobile devices again. I'll keep an eye out in case that theory doesn't hold out.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread