Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,771,386 Members 51,873 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Button remapper

Tip us?

BJSerpas
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Default Button remapper

Is there any way for me to remap the hardware keys on the S5? There's a really old app that does this floating around the forum, but it doesn't work for us on the S5. I tried editing a few system files too, but that didn't work either. Having the menu button replaced with the multitasking view is driving me crazy - I know I can long tap it for the menu function, but I'm just so used to having the menu button there. There's a few other things I'd like to do as well, like change GNow to come up when I double tap home, multitasking to come up when I long tap home, and change the multitasking button back to the menu button like it should be. Most importantly, I would also like to get rid of the 3 dot menu button that shows in most of the apps (like Chrome for example).

Any takers?

nikkitaw
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Supposedly the Xposed Additions will do most, if not all of what you need.
i'm actually trying to do this myself right now. you need to install XposedBridge first for the Additions to work.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/xposed/modules/mod-xposed-additions-t2294274

21cdb
Old
Thanks Meter 57
I use Xposed with Gravitybox, works great.

BJSerpas
Old
(Last edited by BJSerpas; 3rd May 2014 at 12:02 PM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by 21cdb View Post
I use Xposed with Gravitybox, works great.
Thanks, I'll take a look at GravityBox. On a side note, does anyone know of a possible alternative without using Xposed? Xposed is great, but in my experience, it makes the system just a bit more bogged down. It's not a serious impact, no, but I have had some stability and battery problems in the past. I'll probably go with GravityBox for now, but any other alternatives would be great

Thanks for the help though!

So.... I tried GravityBox, but unfortunately the hardware key options are very limited. I still couldn't get the regular menu button functionality back, as I only had long-press and double-tap options. Hopefully someone will come along soon and restore the menu button, because I can't be the only one who wants to see it back...

MasK
Old
Thanks Meter 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJSerpas View Post
Thanks, I'll take a look at GravityBox. On a side note, does anyone know of a possible alternative without using Xposed? Xposed is great, but in my experience, it makes the system just a bit more bogged down. It's not a serious impact, no, but I have had some stability and battery problems in the past. I'll probably go with GravityBox for now, but any other alternatives would be great

Thanks for the help though!

So.... I tried GravityBox, but unfortunately the hardware key options are very limited. I still couldn't get the regular menu button functionality back, as I only had long-press and double-tap options. Hopefully someone will come along soon and restore the menu button, because I can't be the only one who wants to see it back...
Hmm.. I didn't have any issues changing the recent button to work like a menu key.
I think you're missing something here...

Visit my blog: www.imraneo.com

Palm m100 | Cassiopeia E-125 | iPaq hp2210 | OČ XphoneII | OČ XDAII Mini | OČ XDA Atom | HP rw6828 | HTC P3300 | HTC Touch Cruise | HTC Touch Diamond | HTC Touch Diamond2 | HTC HD2 |
Samsung Galaxy S | Samsung Galaxy S2 | Galaxy Nexus | HTC Oneˣ | Samsung Galaxy S3 LTE | Sony Xperia Z | Samsung Galaxy S4 | LG G2 D802 | Sony Xperia Z2 | Samsung Galaxy S5 | LG G3 D855
The Following User Says Thank You to MasK For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

BJSerpas
Old
(Last edited by BJSerpas; 4th May 2014 at 04:10 AM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasK View Post
Hmm.. I didn't have any issues changing the recent button to work like a menu key.
I think you're missing something here...
Oh wow. I can't believe I missed that. I assumed it was using the menu key and the recents key interchangeably, so I didn't scroll down to see the recents option.

Silly me

All that's left to do now is to get rid of this pesky menu in Chrome and other apps..