Sony SmartEyeglass SDK Developer Preview Released

A little over a month ago in Tokyo, Japan, Sony unveiled its new SmartEyeglasstechnology. … more

XDA and Leaseweb: Server Trial/Moto 360 Contest (Winners!)

About a month ago, we held a contest along with XDA’s host, Leaseweb, to … more

Updated Android Lollipop Preview Images – XDA TV

The Android Lollipop Preview Images are now available! That and much more news is … more

Get a Complete Set of Logs with Andy Log

The importance of proper logging is undeniable. No, we’re not talking about lumberjack work. … more

Button remapper

OP BJSerpas

2nd May 2014, 10:22 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 5

90 posts
Is there any way for me to remap the hardware keys on the S5? There's a really old app that does this floating around the forum, but it doesn't work for us on the S5. I tried editing a few system files too, but that didn't work either. Having the menu button replaced with the multitasking view is driving me crazy - I know I can long tap it for the menu function, but I'm just so used to having the menu button there. There's a few other things I'd like to do as well, like change GNow to come up when I double tap home, multitasking to come up when I long tap home, and change the multitasking button back to the menu button like it should be. Most importantly, I would also like to get rid of the 3 dot menu button that shows in most of the apps (like Chrome for example).

Any takers?
3rd May 2014, 01:00 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 0

13 posts
More
Supposedly the Xposed Additions will do most, if not all of what you need.
i'm actually trying to do this myself right now. you need to install XposedBridge first for the Additions to work.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/xposed/modules/mod-xposed-additions-t2294274
3rd May 2014, 02:35 AM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 58

317 posts
I use Xposed with Gravitybox, works great.
3rd May 2014, 08:25 AM   |  #4  
OP Member

90 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 21cdb

I use Xposed with Gravitybox, works great.

Thanks, I'll take a look at GravityBox. On a side note, does anyone know of a possible alternative without using Xposed? Xposed is great, but in my experience, it makes the system just a bit more bogged down. It's not a serious impact, no, but I have had some stability and battery problems in the past. I'll probably go with GravityBox for now, but any other alternatives would be great

Thanks for the help though!

So.... I tried GravityBox, but unfortunately the hardware key options are very limited. I still couldn't get the regular menu button functionality back, as I only had long-press and double-tap options. Hopefully someone will come along soon and restore the menu button, because I can't be the only one who wants to see it back...
Last edited by BJSerpas; 3rd May 2014 at 12:02 PM.
3rd May 2014, 02:56 PM   |  #5  
Flag Singapore
Thanks Meter: 85

1,038 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJSerpas

Thanks, I'll take a look at GravityBox. On a side note, does anyone know of a possible alternative without using Xposed? Xposed is great, but in my experience, it makes the system just a bit more bogged down. It's not a serious impact, no, but I have had some stability and battery problems in the past. I'll probably go with GravityBox for now, but any other alternatives would be great

Thanks for the help though!

So.... I tried GravityBox, but unfortunately the hardware key options are very limited. I still couldn't get the regular menu button functionality back, as I only had long-press and double-tap options. Hopefully someone will come along soon and restore the menu button, because I can't be the only one who wants to see it back...

Hmm.. I didn't have any issues changing the recent button to work like a menu key.
I think you're missing something here...
The Following User Says Thank You to MasK For This Useful Post: [ View ]
4th May 2014, 04:04 AM   |  #6  
OP Member

90 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasK

Hmm.. I didn't have any issues changing the recent button to work like a menu key.
I think you're missing something here...

Oh wow. I can't believe I missed that. I assumed it was using the menu key and the recents key interchangeably, so I didn't scroll down to see the recents option.

Silly me

All that's left to do now is to get rid of this pesky menu in Chrome and other apps..
Last edited by BJSerpas; 4th May 2014 at 04:10 AM.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread