5,814,939 Members 46,234 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] AT&T (G900A) - Did I screw up by buying this one?

Tip us?

ACiD0N
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0

DONATE TO ME
Phone [Q] AT&T (G900A) - Did I screw up by buying this one?

I can't seem to find any legitimate way to root my G900A from AT&T.

I was with Sprint with my S4, and never had an issue. I made the switch to AT&T before buying the S5.. Was that mistake?

In all the threads I've combed through here there is one common, glaring, issue.. The G900A is not included in the supported devices.

Am I missing something obvious or am I screwed? Or am I just looking too soon?
Already gave the S4 to my daughter.

Thanks for any information or insight.

SandeepEmekar
Old
(Last edited by SandeepEmekar; 29th April 2014 at 10:34 AM.) Reason: Forgot to paste the link :D
Thanks Meter 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACiD0N View Post

I was with Sprint with my S4, and never had an issue. I made the switch to AT&T before buying the S5.. Was that mistake?

In all the threads I've combed through here there is one common, glaring, issue.. The G900A is not included in the supported devices.

Here is a universal root method.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2717061

Try to talk with a recovery developer to check your partition table.
(Other variant may have matching partition table with your variant)

I guess, @PlayfulGod can help you with it.

PlayfulGod
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 2,840

DONATE TO ME
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandeepEmekar View Post
Here is a universal root method.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2717061

Try to talk with a recovery developer to check your partition table.
(Other variant may have matching partition table with your variant)

I guess, @PlayfulGod can help you with it.
I'm sure eventually a root method will come about for that model. Unfortunately tho, the vzw & att models have a locked bootloader and most likely locked down with knox as well and currently no way to boot custom recoveries or kernels.

Personal device(s): LG G Flex & G Watch

Projects: LG Flex CM11, LG G Watch

My sites: PlayfulDroidz Wiki & Unleashed PrePaids & TechyGeeky

My Apps: PlayfulGod@Google Play
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PlayfulGod For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Aou
Old
Thanks Meter 449

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayfulGod View Post
I'm sure eventually a root method will come about for that model. Unfortunately tho, the vzw & att models have a locked bootloader and most likely locked down with knox as well and currently no way to boot custom recoveries or kernels.
@PlayfulGod is absolutely right. Even if an exploit is found for the AT&T or Verizon models, it is unlikely that you'll ever have full root access - thanks to the combination of locked bootloaders, KNOX, and SELinux.

Check your contract - most carriers have a 14-day "buyer's remorse" period in which you can return your handset. You might be faced with a $35-$50 "restocking fee", but depending on how desperate you are for custom ROMs and/or Recovery, it may be worth it to you. Please note that your carrier may try everything they can to stop you from leaving (in terms of talking you out of it). Your contact with AT&T should also have a "back-out" period of 30 days (unless that's changed recently).

Couple other notes:
1) That's the primary reason I switched from AT&T to TMO when I jumped from the S4 to the S5 - I was sick of locked bootloaders. Otherwise, I really just like TMO a lot more as a company, including some of their political standpoints.
2) I've heard of several people now buying TMO S5's and taking them over to AT&T. It's a lot of money up front, but might be worth it to you.

Good luck.
Current device: T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S5 (SM-G900T)
Current ROM: Stock, rooted
Current mood:
If my advice has helped you, please let me know by hitting the "THANKS" button! I also accept donations of beer or pizza.
The Following User Says Thank You to Aou For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ACiD0N
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0

DONATE TO ME
Default Thanks guys

Thank you for the informative replies. They confirmed what I had already gathered, piece by piece, in a decent comprehensive manner so I appreciate it.

Unfortunately, this time around we gamed the system a bit and went in on this as a 'group' for the services and phones. As far as I can tell, as an individual, I don't have any options of returning the unit in favor of moving to another provider.
Besides that, I finally have good service where I live. I am in the middle of a city but my actual home was in a crap spot with Sprint. After doing research we found that we'd all have great service with AT&T. If the trade-off is no root, so be it I suppose. (Though I have heard that T-Mo has the same service in the same areas due to using the same connectivity)

The knox deal doesn't concern me so much.. This may be a bit cocky (and a little stupid), but I have yet to have to replace a galaxy since they started putting them out *knock on wood*. But it sounds like that's only one issue in a sea of others.

Long-winded story short, Thanks guys. I am much more informed on my situation than before.

BJSerpas
Old
(Last edited by BJSerpas; 4th May 2014 at 06:16 AM.)
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:

I expressly bought a G900W8 model because of the locked bootloader issue with AT&T. I've come from Verizon on the S4, and I wasn't doing the whole locked thing again - it was annoying and I just wasn't going to have it. What I did was buy an S5 from AT&T on a $25/month installment plan, turn around and sold it on Swappa for full price, and bought an unlocked W8 model the same day. I payed virtually nothing except shipping, I get a nice unlocked phone ready for AOSP when it comes out, and I didn't have to pay the ridiculous $650 price for what would be essentially a developer unlocked phone.

If your phone is still new and you think you could sell it and get mint condition pricing on it, do your research on the G900T model. That's TMobile's phone, but it has an unlocked bootloader, can be rooted/flashed/whatever you like, and if I remember correctly (please someone correct me if I'm wrong), it works on all the bands that AT&T does and will be virtually the same as far as mobile data goes. If you already have your service activated on your current AT&T phone, you can literally just swap the SIM card out and you shouldn't have any issues after that. There might be a little caveat as far as having an AT&T SIM in a Tmo phone, but as far as I've read on the forum, this is very easy to get past; you may very well not have any problems whatsoever.

You could look for the W8 model, which wouldn't have any carrier branding on it, but those were hard to come by for me on Swappa, and the unlocked listing the main page gives you is for a phone that doesn't support 4G.

So like I said, if you think you could sell it, and you find a good listing on Swappa for an unlocked phone, I say go for it. Having an unlocked bootloader is going to put your device in a good place as far as updates go, and once developers start pushing out polished custom ROMs, you'll be happy to use your device for longer than the year's use that is generally expected.