Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,736,222 Members 44,641 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

The truth about battery saver apps, cleaners, etc

Tip us?

mikekoz
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default The truth about battery saver apps, cleaners, etc

The last week or so since I got my HTC One Max, I have been slowly configuring it and setting it up to my tastes. On my previous phone, an HTC Rezound, I used an app called Clean Master to manage the phones ram, and Battery Doctor to extend its battery life. I tried an application called Battery Guru on my Max, but it actually drained the battery faster while the phone was not doing anything. After uninstalling it, my battery life seems to have shot upwards. I have not re-installed Battery Doctor. I have read the following things about these battery saver apps over the last few days:

1. Some say the applications are not needed and you should not use them, especially if they include a task manager. The logic was that Android was designed to have multiple apps in memory all the time, and closing them, then opening them again from scratch, uses up the battery.
2.Others have said just the opposite. They claim the applications greatly increase battery life. If you read the reviews on the Android Market about these two applications, that seems to be the case.

Both of these applications I have used get rave reviews from the many folks that have used them. Is the benefit they are seeing just imagined? Do the applications actually work? Is it also possible that they work for some and not others, since there are a lot of models of Android devices out there?

Jiggity Janx
Old
Thanks Meter 329
Most things that are ram "cleaners" are just giving you a slight point in time speed boost. Your ram will fill up again (as it should). Most so called battery doctors cripple your phone to extend battery life (think extreme power saver on the Max). What you want is something that blocks the applications that you do have running from performing activities in the background that you dont need at that moment ( think facebook looking for your location even when not using it just so it will know it faster when you open the app).

I use a combo of firewall to block most apps from using the internet (radio takes a lot of battery) and greenify which hibernates the app while keeping it in ram so it brings me into the app where I was before.
2 Verizon G3 io-rooted stock 2 Verizon One MAX rumrunner.us s-off Note 8.0 & 3 2 OG Nexus 7 w/ CM11
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jiggity Janx For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

pekji
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikekoz View Post
The last week or so since I got my HTC One Max, I have been slowly configuring it and setting it up to my tastes. On my previous phone, an HTC Rezound, I used an app called Clean Master to manage the phones ram, and Battery Doctor to extend its battery life. I tried an application called Battery Guru on my Max, but it actually drained the battery faster while the phone was not doing anything. After uninstalling it, my battery life seems to have shot upwards. I have not re-installed Battery Doctor. I have read the following things about these battery saver apps over the last few days:

1. Some say the applications are not needed and you should not use them, especially if they include a task manager. The logic was that Android was designed to have multiple apps in memory all the time, and closing them, then opening them again from scratch, uses up the battery.
2.Others have said just the opposite. They claim the applications greatly increase battery life. If you read the reviews on the Android Market about these two applications, that seems to be the case.

Both of these applications I have used get rave reviews from the many folks that have used them. Is the benefit they are seeing just imagined? Do the applications actually work? Is it also possible that they work for some and not others, since there are a lot of models of Android devices out there?
Try greenify

Sent from my HTC One max using xda app-developers app

cstrife999
Old
Thanks Meter 223
Free ram is idle ram. Having a lot of ram usage isnt a bad thing... Don't know how many people think the opposite. Now if it gets too high then yea its an issue when opening new apps but this issue died with gingerbread in all reality. Some would argue task managers even died with froyo.

Sent from my HTC0P3P7 using xda app-developers app

mikekoz
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Thanks everybody! I have installed Greenify, and removed Battery Doctor and Clean Sweep, and my phone is running great! I like it so much, I have put Greenify on my other Android tablets. No more battery saving apps or task managers for me!!

SwordOfWar
Old
Thanks Meter 29
The trick is to properly manage the apps that you use.

The problem with task killers is that some apps that you kill will simply "respawn" themselves automatically in the background. Killing apps that do this just means your phone is constantly closing/opening the app again and again which is worse than not killing it in the first place. You will just have to experiment and check which apps respawn after killing them and avoid having the task killer auto-kill those apps, or uninstall those apps.

You also have battery saver apps that try to manage turning certain features on/off like WiFi, GPS and Blutooth. The most efficient way of managing this is to manually disable those features when you don't need them. Having an app do this for you means that app now has to be running all the time to manage those other features, which itself will ironically increase battery usage.

Avoiding as many apps as possible that need to constantly run in the background to perform it's function. These mostly include instant messenger apps or other apps that regularly check the internet for updates in the background. Either avoid them or if possible increase the delay between how often the app checks for updates/info. The Greenify app will allow you to "suspend/pause/freeze" specific apps when they are not currently on your screen. This keeps them from performing any activity in the background, and will help save battery if used on apps that would normally be doing tasks in the background. The downside is that if that app is suppose to be doing something while in the background, it won't be doing that anymore...like checking for updates, chat messages etc...

Keep screen brightness on automatic, so you don't waste power on a bright screen when in a darker environment.

These should be more than enough tips to help you better manage your battery.
The Following User Says Thank You to SwordOfWar For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]