Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,778,633 Members 37,534 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Block all apps & SystemUI to free up RAM for WinXP Emulator

Tip us?
 
aarongillion63
Old
(Last edited by aarongillion63; 28th April 2014 at 03:33 PM.)
#1  
aarongillion63's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 108
Posts: 231
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Grand Rapids MI

 
DONATE TO ME
Prompt Block all apps & SystemUI to free up RAM for WinXP Emulator

My goal: to almost, practically multi-boot my tablet with Windows, using Bochs emulator. Bochs emulator is an Android app, so I still must have Android booted, but any apps, including SystemUI, are *not* needed (until I restart my tablet, plan on using Tasker to handle renaming apk's to bak's and vice versa.

I have a Dell Venue Andoid tablet w/ Intel, runs WinXP pretty well (emulator), and I would like to disable all apps from running while using my emulator. This is to clear up RAM and provide better speeds, along with not having other Android app interruptions/notifications/push services, including Google.

Note: Please don't suggest RAM cleaners... I'm literally turning off all apps including launcher and systemui.

I'm posting a thread because I'm specifically wondering if SystemUI is required to complete the boot process in Android 4.3 Jellybean. I feel that the process "Android System" should be everything I need to just launch my app at boot_completed. SystemUI, however, uses over 100MB in present RAM providing for the status bar, notifications, softkeys, and that crap. You'd be surprised what's actually running on your RAM. Android App Manager is biased and doesn't display system or Google apps. I used this app to actually figure it all out, worked great.

You guys, creating custom ROMs and such, should know about the composition of the boot process, and what affects it. So I'm asking you guys.

I already tried Boot Managers to block the boot_completed intents, even the Xposed ones, but it didn't actually free up RAM, nor did they allow me to block Google apps (such as Play Store, Youtube, they all run on present RAM--crazy).

Will renaming SystemUI.apk to .bak brick my tablet. BTW, Dell Venue tabs have unlocked bootloaders.

Thanks,
 
dicks93277
Old
#2  
Member
Thanks Meter 4
Posts: 97
Join Date: Feb 2014
Did you give greenify a try?

Is not a task killer, it runs in background, usually uses about 10mb or less, to prevent the app you "blocked" to start.
I think it might be the best solution...

Sorry for my bad English...
Sent from my HTC Desire 200 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
 
zelendel
Old
#3  
zelendel's Avatar
Moderator Committee - The Dark Knight
Thanks Meter 10982
Posts: 14,375
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Watching from the Shadows

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by aarongillion63 View Post
My goal: to almost, practically multi-boot my tablet with Windows, using Bochs emulator. Bochs emulator is an Android app, so I still must have Android booted, but any apps, including SystemUI, are *not* needed (until I restart my tablet, plan on using Tasker to handle renaming apk's to bak's and vice versa.

I have a Dell Venue Andoid tablet w/ Intel, runs WinXP pretty well (emulator), and I would like to disable all apps from running while using my emulator. This is to clear up RAM and provide better speeds, along with not having other Android app interruptions/notifications/push services, including Google.

Note: Please don't suggest RAM cleaners... I'm literally turning off all apps including launcher and systemui.

I'm posting a thread because I'm specifically wondering if SystemUI is required to complete the boot process in Android 4.3 Jellybean. I feel that the process "Android System" should be everything I need to just launch my app at boot_completed. SystemUI, however, uses over 100MB in present RAM providing for the status bar, notifications, softkeys, and that crap. You'd be surprised what's actually running on your RAM. Android App Manager is biased and doesn't display system or Google apps. I used this app to actually figure it all out, worked great.

You guys, creating custom ROMs and such, should know about the composition of the boot process, and what affects it. So I'm asking you guys.

I already tried Boot Managers to block the boot_completed intents, even the Xposed ones, but it didn't actually free up RAM, nor did they allow me to block Google apps (such as Play Store, Youtube, they all run on present RAM--crazy).

Will renaming SystemUI.apk to .bak brick my tablet. BTW, Dell Venue tabs have unlocked bootloaders.

Thanks,
It won't brick it but it won't boot either.

Bat cave One





If hard work pays off then easy work is worthless
SearchFu
Never Ask someone to do something your not willing to at least try to do yourself.
"Gotham is the work of a madman"- NunHugger Current Nexus 5-12 Nightly


 
dicks93277
Old
#4  
Member
Thanks Meter 4
Posts: 97
Join Date: Feb 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelendel View Post
It won't brick it but it won't boot either.

Bat cave One
Won't boot=can't use=brick

lol

Sorry for my bad English...
Sent from my HTC Desire 200 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
 
zelendel
Old
#5  
zelendel's Avatar
Moderator Committee - The Dark Knight
Thanks Meter 10982
Posts: 14,375
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Watching from the Shadows

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by dicks93277 View Post
Won't boot=can't use=brick

lol

Sorry for my bad English...
Sent from my HTC Desire 200 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
A brick is a device with no way to recover it and might as well as throw it out. What your talking about is a boot loop and this can happen when you mess around with this game like this. Get used to using adb

Bat cave One





If hard work pays off then easy work is worthless
SearchFu
Never Ask someone to do something your not willing to at least try to do yourself.
"Gotham is the work of a madman"- NunHugger Current Nexus 5-12 Nightly


 
aarongillion63
Old
#6  
aarongillion63's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 108
Posts: 231
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Grand Rapids MI

 
DONATE TO ME
Yeah guys I'll be using adb alright.. I'll also look at greenify, but I don't want -more- services running in the background. I'll be looking out for a cracked-digi version of my tablet to test on as there aren't custom recovories available for it yet (rough waters). I'll also post back my results for all to see.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using XDA Free mobile app
Tags
bochs, boot, emulator, ram, systemui
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes