Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,733,098 Members 46,987 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Gear and 'Sleep as Android'

Tip us?

BuLLitz
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default Gear and 'Sleep as Android'

This is a generic question to Galaxy Gear users...

I have an app on my phone called 'Sleep as Android' that measures my sleep. It currently integrates with Pebble for better accuracy than laying your phone near you while you sleep.
A user posed a question to the developer of 'Sleep as Android' about developing the app to work with Galaxy Gear.
The response from the developer was that perhaps 'Sleep as Android' could be side loaded onto Galaxy Gear directly.

Has anyone here used 'Sleep as Android'?
Has anyone attempted to load this app directly to their Galaxy Gear?
Does it even sound doable???

I am not really interested in a Pebble watch. Pebble has poor reviews and does not appear to be even remotely appealing to me.
On the other hand, Galaxy Gear is something that I could see my self wearing and using.

h00rj
Old
(Last edited by h00rj; 30th April 2014 at 03:17 PM.)
Thanks Meter 35

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuLLitz View Post
This is a generic question to Galaxy Gear users...

I have an app on my phone called 'Sleep as Android' that measures my sleep. It currently integrates with Pebble for better accuracy than laying your phone near you while you sleep.
A user posed a question to the developer of 'Sleep as Android' about developing the app to work with Galaxy Gear.
The response from the developer was that perhaps 'Sleep as Android' could be side loaded onto Galaxy Gear directly.

Has anyone here used 'Sleep as Android'?
Has anyone attempted to load this app directly to their Galaxy Gear?
Does it even sound doable???

I am not really interested in a Pebble watch. Pebble has poor reviews and does not appear to be even remotely appealing to me.
On the other hand, Galaxy Gear is something that I could see my self wearing and using.

I went ahead and gave it a try just for you!

I wasn't able to install it directly on the gear via the play store. Some error, so I side-loaded it by installing it on my phone first and using titanium backup's "send latest backup" feature. (you'll need titanium on your Gear as well to restore the backup)

Opens right up and appears to be running smoothly. Maybe I'll give it a go for some sleep tracking. Got a 14 day trial.

Oh, I'm using NULL_ ROM.

I guess you could side-load it using one of the other methods if you don't want to flash. (I've no clue about that stuff, however)

--update
The user interface is kinda tight on the tiny screen, but I haven't had any problems clicking on anything yet!
The Following User Says Thank You to h00rj For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

BuLLitz
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by h00rj View Post
I went ahead and gave it a try just for you!

I wasn't able to install it directly on the gear via the play store. Some error, so I side-loaded it by installing it on my phone first and using titanium backup's "send latest backup" feature. (you'll need titanium on your Gear as well to restore the backup)

Opens right up and appears to be running smoothly. Maybe I'll give it a go for some sleep tracking. Got a 14 day trial.

Oh, I'm using NULL_ ROM.

I guess you could side-load it using one of the other methods if you don't want to flash. (I've no clue about that stuff, however)

--update
The user interface is kinda tight on the tiny screen, but I haven't had any problems clicking on anything yet!
Dude, you are awesome(x2!).
If you use it during sleep, let me know how it does....
Am sure the sleeping/noise(snoring) graphs and stuff may be hard to read on such a small screen though.
There is an add-on to upload to cloud. I guess I could use THAT to see the graph details, etc..

lazer9
Old
Thanks Meter 415

DONATE TO ME
Yea, I would be curious how this works myself. I suppose since the Gear has motion sensor, it should work for tracking sleep. The only concern I would have is battery drain. I know the app even warns of that and when I used to use this on my old Droid Razr Maxx, I would have it connected to the wall and stretched to the bed whilst on charge. Can't really do that with the goofy arse cradle system the gear has and still wear it.
Verizon Galaxy S4 w/ Safestrap Recovery v3.72 & ★[ROM][JULY 4] Hyperdrive RLS17.1 KitKat `._ ║Hyperdrive Tweaks ║ Ultimate Customization ║ On-the-Fly Theming ★ w/ NC2 Bootloader -On Stock Side!...

Gear w/ Tizen NE9-Rooted

Asus Transformer TF300T : ★★★[TF300 KitKat 4.4.4][CROMBi-kk][F2FS | DATA2SD | ROM2SD | CM11 ][JULY 16]★★★

h00rj
Old
Thanks Meter 35

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazer9 View Post
Yea, I would be curious how this works myself. I suppose since the Gear has motion sensor, it should work for tracking sleep. The only concern I would have is battery drain. I know the app even warns of that and when I used to use this on my old Droid Razr Maxx, I would have it connected to the wall and stretched to the bed whilst on charge. Can't really do that with the goofy arse cradle system the gear has and still wear it.
Since it's meant to be ran on a phone laying next to you, you could just leave it cradled up next to you. I couldn't sleep with a watch on, anyway. End up rolling over and smacking my wife with it or something... Speaking of that, I wonder if it accommodates for two people in the same bed. Haven't really had a chance to play with it.

lazer9
Old
Thanks Meter 415

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by h00rj View Post
Since it's meant to be ran on a phone laying next to you, you could just leave it cradled up next to you. I couldn't sleep with a watch on, anyway. End up rolling over and smacking my wife with it or something... Speaking of that, I wonder if it accommodates for two people in the same bed. Haven't really had a chance to play with it.
Lol! True, didn't think of that.
Verizon Galaxy S4 w/ Safestrap Recovery v3.72 & ★[ROM][JULY 4] Hyperdrive RLS17.1 KitKat `._ ║Hyperdrive Tweaks ║ Ultimate Customization ║ On-the-Fly Theming ★ w/ NC2 Bootloader -On Stock Side!...

Gear w/ Tizen NE9-Rooted

Asus Transformer TF300T : ★★★[TF300 KitKat 4.4.4][CROMBi-kk][F2FS | DATA2SD | ROM2SD | CM11 ][JULY 16]★★★

ronfurro
Old
(Last edited by ronfurro; 4th May 2014 at 10:38 AM.)
Thanks Meter 31

http://m.shutterstock.com/images/131314172/full

Sent from my SM-V7000 using Tapatalk