Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,780,303 Members 42,356 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] App storage and PIT file remapping on S4?

Tip us?

corvus.corax
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 188
Default [Q] App storage and PIT file remapping on S4?

Hi all. I am thinking of moving from my S2 to an S4. Before I do, I want to be sure there is enough space for my apps. I have around 140 apps. At one point, I was getting messages from the S2 saying I was running out of storage space for them. Thanks the the great folks on the XDA S2 forum, I learned how to remap the PIT file and expand my app storage from 2gb to 4gb via Odin and some a custom PIT file one of the members made. So before I take the plunge on the S4, I have a couple of questions: 1) will the stock 2gb be enough for all my apps, plus new ones - in other words, does it handle apps differently than the S2, and 2) if not, are there larger PIT files available for the S4 and instructions here on how to flash them?

Fevves
Old
(Last edited by Fevves; 30th April 2014 at 07:10 PM.)
Thanks Meter 86
236 user installed aps and I still have around 4.3 gb free... on top of that, I have 205 system aps (cleaned bloatware too)... I have performed 4Gb pit repartition on my old S2, but on S4 with 16GB internal storage I don't need pit repartition anymore if such exists (default S4 storage management is doing the job just fine).

Edit: S4 does not have 2GB of internal storage, but 16GB total - around 12-13GB user free if I recall well, it has 2GB of RAM though.

Hope this helps.
Actual phone:
SGS4 i9505 Stock 4.2.2 rooted
Domination moded thanks to Vertumus
Xposed moded thanks to Rovo89
Wanam Xposed moded thanks to wanam
Manually debloated by removing 508mb of system apks
tbc

Old (& now sold) phone
SGS2 on Ice Cream Sandwich ROM:

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fevves For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

corvus.corax
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fevves View Post
236 user installed aps and I still have around 4.3 gb free... on top of that, I have 205 system aps (cleaned bloatware too)... I have performed 4Gb pit repartition on my old S2, but on S4 with 16GB internal storage I don't need pit repartition anymore if such exists (default S4 storage management is doing the job just fine).

Edit: S4 does not have 2GB of internal storage, but 16GB total - around 12-13GB user free if I recall well, it has 2GB of RAM though.

Hope this helps.
That's the kind of answer I was looking for.
It seems, then, that the S4 is organized better than the S2.

Fevves
Old
Thanks Meter 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by corvus.corax View Post
That's the kind of answer I was looking for.
It seems, then, that the S4 is organized better than the S2.
Sure it is, S2 was having an old partition system and a way to handle things which was limiting the user. It's all gone for better afterwards and S4 is no exception from this benefit Just flood yours with apps/games, do occasional trimming and you're good. 16GB version can handle great quantities of apps/games.

Edit: I pulled some backups for few other apps, and I'm still having much internal space left.

Have fun!
Actual phone:
SGS4 i9505 Stock 4.2.2 rooted
Domination moded thanks to Vertumus
Xposed moded thanks to Rovo89
Wanam Xposed moded thanks to wanam
Manually debloated by removing 508mb of system apks
tbc

Old (& now sold) phone
SGS2 on Ice Cream Sandwich ROM: