Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,734,239 Members 50,574 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Is it possible to create an RUU from the phone?

Tip us?

kman79
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 25
Default [Q] Is it possible to create an RUU from the phone?

Disclaimer, I'm not a developer, just doing some searching to find a safety net before I try converting to full GPE using this: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2708589

After reading the thread, some have been able to flash back to Sense ROM, but others have had trouble. As of date, there's no sure way to get back to a Sense ROM until an RUU is released for the Sense ROM by HTC

So I did a little bit of searching and found this: https://sites.google.com/site/htcthu...g-a-system-ruu

Obviously, the guide was written for the HTC Thunderbolt and not the HTC One M8

Again, I'm not a developer. I'm just curious if it is possible to create an RUU from a bootable Phone and use that to get back to a Sense ROM after a GPE Conversion.

I was wondering if one of the many developers on this forums can take a look at it and share some knowledge?

AT&T Galaxy S4 FOR SALE!

BenPope
Old
Thanks Meter 871
I've never heard of that before. An RUU isn't special though, it's essentially just an image of the partitions and the flashing tools wrapped in an installer (and then cryptographically signed by HTC).

I did
fastboot boot recovery.zip
and took a backup of the stock partitions before fastboot flash whatever. I don't know how well it worked because I haven't tried to restore it, but it should be good to go.

Mr Hofs
Old
Recognized Contributor / Themer
Thanks Meter 8159

DONATE TO ME
Check here for some info. A nandroid backup is almost the same as a ruu. It just does not contain the firmware/bootloader info. And it doesn't come with an automated installer.

Your backup should work fine indeed Ben.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2701376

kman79
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 25
I appreciate the replies.

From what I read in the thread for the full GPE conversion, the issues is when you covert to GPE, the system partition gets changed (it gets smaller). The system partition size for a Sense Nandroid backup is larger and when you try to restore from a nandroid backup, it fails.

So I was hoping there was a way to build an RUU from my current phone that would restore needed System partition size for the Sense ROM.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

AT&T Galaxy S4 FOR SALE!

alasdair.grant
Old
Thanks Meter 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by kman79 View Post
I appreciate the replies.

From what I read in the thread for the full GPE conversion, the issues is when you covert to GPE, the system partition gets changed (it gets smaller). The system partition size for a Sense Nandroid backup is larger and when you try to restore from a nandroid backup, it fails.

So I was hoping there was a way to build an RUU from my current phone that would restore needed System partition size for the Sense ROM.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
You can do it. I did for my Aussie htc_039 phone.
You need s-off.
Before you flash the GE ruu created by GrafixNYC open it in 7 zip and take note of the images it has. You can dump these images as they are on your phone using dd and create another ruu like the GE one but with your dumped partitions. I found a spreadsheet created by SneakyGhost that has the partition maps. Be careful but yes it's doeable.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

an0ther
Old
Thanks Meter 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by kman79 View Post
Disclaimer, I'm not a developer, just doing some searching to find a safety net before I try converting to full GPE using this: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2708589

After reading the thread, some have been able to flash back to Sense ROM, but others have had trouble. As of date, there's no sure way to get back to a Sense ROM until an RUU is released for the Sense ROM by HTC

So I did a little bit of searching and found this: https://sites.google.com/site/htcthu...g-a-system-ruu

Obviously, the guide was written for the HTC Thunderbolt and not the HTC One M8

Again, I'm not a developer. I'm just curious if it is possible to create an RUU from a bootable Phone and use that to get back to a Sense ROM after a GPE Conversion.

I was wondering if one of the many developers on this forums can take a look at it and share some knowledge?
You can convert back pretty easy, but if you are asking this question anyway, why not just flash a gpe rom. Its the same thing. Your not missing out on anything except ota updates which they are released probably faster than you would have received it on your device anyway.