Speed Up Deodexing with JoelDroid Batch Deodexer

Android 5.0 Lollipop brings many under-the-hood changes like changing the default compiler … more

Top 5 Apps for 2014 + Top Xposed Mod of 2014 – XDA TV

Its that time of year where you look back and remember the things that happened … more

NVIDIA SHIELD Tablet Gets Android 5.0.1, OTA Available

The NVIDIA SHIELD Tablet is the latest Android-powered device released by famed GPU … more

FXP Team Delivers Lollipop to Various Xperia Devices!

From all of us here at XDA-Developers, we’d like to wish you Happy Holidays! If … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] Is it possible to create an RUU from the phone?

OP kman79

21st April 2014, 05:27 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Houston
Thanks Meter: 29

211 posts
More
Disclaimer, I'm not a developer, just doing some searching to find a safety net before I try converting to full GPE using this: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2708589

After reading the thread, some have been able to flash back to Sense ROM, but others have had trouble. As of date, there's no sure way to get back to a Sense ROM until an RUU is released for the Sense ROM by HTC

So I did a little bit of searching and found this: https://sites.google.com/site/htcthu...g-a-system-ruu

Obviously, the guide was written for the HTC Thunderbolt and not the HTC One M8

Again, I'm not a developer. I'm just curious if it is possible to create an RUU from a bootable Phone and use that to get back to a Sense ROM after a GPE Conversion.

I was wondering if one of the many developers on this forums can take a look at it and share some knowledge?
21st April 2014, 06:17 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 1,024

3,728 posts
I've never heard of that before. An RUU isn't special though, it's essentially just an image of the partitions and the flashing tools wrapped in an installer (and then cryptographically signed by HTC).

I did
fastboot boot recovery.zip
and took a backup of the stock partitions before fastboot flash whatever. I don't know how well it worked because I haven't tried to restore it, but it should be good to go.
21st April 2014, 12:07 PM   |  #3  
Recognized Contributor / Themer
Thanks Meter: 8,877

14,422 posts
Donate to Me
Check here for some info. A nandroid backup is almost the same as a ruu. It just does not contain the firmware/bootloader info. And it doesn't come with an automated installer.

Your backup should work fine indeed Ben.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2701376
21st April 2014, 01:46 PM   |  #4  
OP Senior Member
Flag Houston
Thanks Meter: 29

211 posts
More
I appreciate the replies.

From what I read in the thread for the full GPE conversion, the issues is when you covert to GPE, the system partition gets changed (it gets smaller). The system partition size for a Sense Nandroid backup is larger and when you try to restore from a nandroid backup, it fails.

So I was hoping there was a way to build an RUU from my current phone that would restore needed System partition size for the Sense ROM.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
4th May 2014, 08:20 AM   |  #5  
Flag Melbourne
Thanks Meter: 34

52 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kman79

I appreciate the replies.

From what I read in the thread for the full GPE conversion, the issues is when you covert to GPE, the system partition gets changed (it gets smaller). The system partition size for a Sense Nandroid backup is larger and when you try to restore from a nandroid backup, it fails.

So I was hoping there was a way to build an RUU from my current phone that would restore needed System partition size for the Sense ROM.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

You can do it. I did for my Aussie htc_039 phone.
You need s-off.
Before you flash the GE ruu created by GrafixNYC open it in 7 zip and take note of the images it has. You can dump these images as they are on your phone using dd and create another ruu like the GE one but with your dumped partitions. I found a spreadsheet created by SneakyGhost that has the partition maps. Be careful but yes it's doeable.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
4th May 2014, 04:41 PM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 217

594 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kman79

Disclaimer, I'm not a developer, just doing some searching to find a safety net before I try converting to full GPE using this: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2708589

After reading the thread, some have been able to flash back to Sense ROM, but others have had trouble. As of date, there's no sure way to get back to a Sense ROM until an RUU is released for the Sense ROM by HTC

So I did a little bit of searching and found this: https://sites.google.com/site/htcthu...g-a-system-ruu

Obviously, the guide was written for the HTC Thunderbolt and not the HTC One M8

Again, I'm not a developer. I'm just curious if it is possible to create an RUU from a bootable Phone and use that to get back to a Sense ROM after a GPE Conversion.

I was wondering if one of the many developers on this forums can take a look at it and share some knowledge?

You can convert back pretty easy, but if you are asking this question anyway, why not just flash a gpe rom. Its the same thing. Your not missing out on anything except ota updates which they are released probably faster than you would have received it on your device anyway.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread