Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

proximity issues

OP jamesd1085

7th February 2014, 10:50 PM   |  #21  
Senior Member
South Florida
Thanks Meter: 154
 
285 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2010
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshm.1219

Lol neither am I, disagreements dont have to be fights. But if it works on one type of software but not on the other, wouldn't you say software has something to do with it?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Just to be clear. I was having the proximity issue on CM11, so I went back to TW (thinking it was a CM11 bug). I then realized I was having issue with TW. The key difference under TW is that I was able to turn on the screen with the side power button (so at least I could use the phone). I then came across the dirty proximity thing via a Google search, "initially scoffed at it", then tried it. It worked, the proximity sensor was working like new under TW. I then went back to CM11 and confirmed it worked there, and posted my result. Since then, many have tried from the CM11 post and it helped them out. This morning I found this thread and thought I would share.

All the rest of this CM11 vs TW noise is not adding to the dialogue. It appears Samsung has a design flaw and that many of us are getting dirt under the glass (covering the proximity sensor). So load whatever firmware you like, but if you have a dirty proximity sensor then just follow my post and see if cleaning it helps out.

Nuff said.... I'm out.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blulite For This Useful Post: [ View ]
7th February 2014, 10:58 PM   |  #22  
joshm.1219's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Philadelphia
Thanks Meter: 1,495
 
3,445 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2013
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by blulite

Just to be clear. I was having the proximity issue on CM11, so I went back to TW (thinking it was a CM11 bug). I then realized I was having issue with TW. The key difference under TW is that I was able to turn on the screen with the side power button (so at least I could use the phone). I then came across the dirty proximity thing via a Google search, "initially scoffed at it", then tried it. It worked, the proximity sensor was working like new under TW. I then went back to CM11 and confirmed it worked there, and posted my result. Since then, many have tried from the CM11 post and it helped them out. This morning I found this thread and thought I would share.

All the rest of this CM11 vs TW noise is not adding to the dialogue. It appears Samsung has a design flaw and that many of us are getting dirt under the glass (covering the proximity sensor). So load whatever firmware you like, but if you have a dirty proximity sensor then just follow my post and see if cleaning it helps out.

Nuff said.... I'm out.

After clarifying things with spotmark I agree with what you're saying.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
8th February 2014, 12:25 AM   |  #23  
OP Senior Member
Flag Newark
Thanks Meter: 155
 
426 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2012
More
Soooooo...yeah...took my S4 apart just for shiz and gigs...what matter of filth is this...it was covered...thanks to those who suggested it...wonder what kind of settings tw uses that it works...and I also wonder what kind of filthy conditions Samsung is buildIng our devices in for that much nasty to be inside...echhhh
23rd February 2014, 12:07 PM   |  #24  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 8
 
10 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2011
I had issues with the proximity sensor on HD 10.2 with Kt kernel, I don't recall which version. Yet it always worked fine when I used the TW kernel. Seems to be software related. My friend's phone had the same issue, flashed a different ROM and used the stock kernel and no more issues.
23rd February 2014, 02:41 PM   |  #25  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 6
 
25 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2011
I removed the back to my s4 and then pulled the prox sensor off, It had a large piece of black something in front worked great ever since i remove it.
24th February 2014, 03:38 AM   |  #26  
saul1991's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 117
 
1,063 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2011
im having the same issue in cm but i doubt its the proximity sensor screen is black and phone will not wake up even if i press the home button.
24th February 2014, 01:17 PM   |  #27  
Senior Member
South Florida
Thanks Meter: 154
 
285 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2010
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by saul1991

im having the same issue in cm but i doubt its the proximity sensor screen is black and phone will not wake up even if i press the home button.

That's exactly how my phone was acting. It was very frustrating as I couldn't "wake the phone" to use the phone keypad. I tried home, power, volume, and nothing would wake it up. Clean the sensor and you won't believe your eyes........ I'm pretty sure it will be fixed.
29th April 2014, 12:05 AM   |  #28  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
7 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by blulite

That's exactly how my phone was acting. It was very frustrating as I couldn't "wake the phone" to use the phone keypad. I tried home, power, volume, and nothing would wake it up. Clean the sensor and you won't believe your eyes........ I'm pretty sure it will be fixed.

I'm on stock unrooted and compressed air to the earpiece did help. I too thought it might have been a software issue. I would try that solution first before messing about the software.
4th May 2014, 06:24 PM   |  #29  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 38
 
320 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2011
Compressed air didn't work for me, I had to manually recalibrate the threshold settings for the sensor outlined in a big post here somewhere. After I did that it worked instantly, and now I can actually see when debris gets on the sensor because the threshold numbers change actively in the *#0#* or whatever that menu system is. When I blow into the earpiece I can see the numbers set again to what I calibrated and it works fine.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes