Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,812,110 Members 42,577 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] SIM Unlock SGH M919 Outside US which was never activated on Tmobile Network

Tip us?

gargyagotra
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] SIM Unlock SGH M919 Outside US which was never activated on Tmobile Network

Hello All,

I got a t-mobile s4 from USA which was paid in full and never activated on any network in USA. I am now trying to use an Airtel Sim Card in India and it shows that its SIM Unlocked. On contacting the T-Mobile support they are saying that they cant provide an unlock code because the device was never activated on their network.

I am stuck because all websites providing unlock codes work on the same precondition that the device was earlier activated in a T-Mobile network. I am also not able to get into service mode and apply the sim unlocking fix as suggested in few posts.

Please provide help and suggest me the options. I am not afraid to shell some more bucks to make it work but i need assurity that the method would work.

Is there a way that i can try which doesnt require t-mobile network at all???

My android version is 4.4.2 and device has been rooted now.

jmjoyas
Old
Thanks Meter 160
To use service mode to unlock, you need to flash MDL modem first. After unlocking, you should be able to flash the latest modem back retaining the lock.
Have you checked if the region lock away app works?
This thread has some info http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2654058

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to jmjoyas For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

gargyagotra
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmjoyas View Post
To use service mode to unlock, you need to flash MDL modem first. After unlocking, you should be able to flash the latest modem back retaining the lock.
Have you checked if the region lock away app works?
This thread has some info http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2654058

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Regionlockaway apps doesnt work...I am outside USA having no access to the T-Mobile network and was wondering whether the steps suggested by you will allow me to unlock the device from service mode despite having no cellular service?

jmjoyas
Old
Thanks Meter 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by gargyagotra View Post
Regionlockaway apps doesnt work...I am outside USA having no access to the T-Mobile network and was wondering whether the steps suggested by you will allow me to unlock the device from service mode despite having no cellular service?
As far as I know, the service mode unlock disables the carrier check and doesnt require cellular service.

Also, the S4s are also region locked. They get region unlocked when activated and used on the carrier network. So, your phone requires both the sim and region unlock.
The Following User Says Thank You to jmjoyas For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

gargyagotra
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
As far as I know, the service mode unlock disables the carrier check and doesnt require cellular service.

Also, the S4s are also region locked. They get region unlocked when activated and used on the carrier network. So, your phone requires both the sim and region unlock.
Thanks for your response. I am a newbie so just confirming the steps that i need to take to unlock the device:-

a) SInce i am on 4.4.2 with baseband as M919UVUF9B4 i would need to downgrade it to 4.2 stock version using the link you have recommended above.

b) Once i am on the 4.2 version i can then flash MDL modem to sim unlock

c) Then use region lock away tool to region unlock.

d) Upgrade it again to 4.4.2 and use my device freely.

Let me know if i got it right

jmjoyas
Old
Thanks Meter 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by gargyagotra View Post
Thanks for your response. I am a newbie so just confirming the steps that i need to take to unlock the device:-

a) SInce i am on 4.4.2 with baseband as M919UVUF9B4 i would need to downgrade it to 4.2 stock version using the link you have recommended above.

b) Once i am on the 4.2 version i can then flash MDL modem to sim unlock

c) Then use region lock away tool to region unlock.

d) Upgrade it again to 4.4.2 and use my device freely.

Let me know if i got it right
For the service menu to work, all you need is the MDL modem. You do not need to downgrade everything. You should be able to find a way to flash the modem alone.

gargyagotra
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
For the service menu to work, all you need is the MDL modem. You do not need to downgrade everything. You should be able to find a way to flash the modem alone.
Thanks for confirming. However, i am unable to find any thread tutorial which talks about flashing NB4 modem back to MDL on NB4 bootloader. Most of the threads talk about flashing modems which are prior to 4.3 and doesnt serve my purpose as in am on the latest bootloader.

Please help in providing any thread link or steps to perform the flashing.

Thanks Again!