Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,782,554 Members 36,094 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Error: Device not Detected - Rooted Dell Streak 7

Tip us?

HackAttack37
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Prompt [Q] Error: Device not Detected - Rooted Dell Streak 7

Okay, basically I used Teamwin and superuser to root my Dell Streak 7 with this tutorial:
watch?v=u302zKspk2E
^put the YouTube url before this, apparently I have to make 10 posts before posting links (THANKS A LOT)
It worked, but now I have a serious problem. When I open the command prompt and everything, I type adb devices and there's no problem, the device is detected and all is good. But after typing
adb shell
$su
#
when I type:
#adb devices
Error: device not found

I'm trying to make /system writable long enough to add my own files in, but I can't do that without superuser mode!
Anyone have a problem like this?
Specs: Windows 8 64-bit on a Dell Streak 7 [Teamwin + Superuser]

es0tericcha0s
Old
Thanks Meter 504

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by HackAttack37 View Post
Okay, basically I used Teamwin and superuser to root my Dell Streak 7 with this tutorial:
watch?v=u302zKspk2E
^put the YouTube url before this, apparently I have to make 10 posts before posting links (THANKS A LOT)
It worked, but now I have a serious problem. When I open the command prompt and everything, I type adb devices and there's no problem, the device is detected and all is good. But after typing
adb shell
$su
#
when I type:
#adb devices
Error: device not found

I'm trying to make /system writable long enough to add my own files in, but I can't do that without superuser mode!
Anyone have a problem like this?
Specs: Windows 8 64-bit on a Dell Streak 7 [Teamwin + Superuser]
It detects your device in adb. When you are in adb shell, that is the same as running a Terminal app on the phone. It's not going to see an adb device because it IS the device. Just skip the adb devices while in shell and continue.
Need some help, advice, something fixed? Hit me up on Hangouts @ es0tericcha0s
Now offering unlocking services - including many Sprint phone unlocks! PM for details!

HTC Droid Eris / Motorola Droid / Samsung Galaxy S Fascinate / Motorola Droid X / LG G2x / HTC Evo 3D (x2) / Samsung Epic 4G Touch (Sprint S2) / HTC Amaze / Samsung Galaxy S3 (International) / Samsung Galaxy Note 2 / Nexus 4 / HTC One / Samsung Galaxy S4 / Sony Xperia ZL / Nexus 5 / OnePlus One (64 GB)

HackAttack37
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by es0tericcha0s View Post
It detects your device in adb. When you are in adb shell, that is the same as running a Terminal app on the phone. It's not going to see an adb device because it IS the device. Just skip the adb devices while in shell and continue.
Okay, so just typing "sysrw" should work for making the system writable once in adb shell su?

es0tericcha0s
Old
Thanks Meter 504

DONATE TO ME
Have to mount the system with this command in adb shell:

mount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock6 /system

What exactly are you trying to do? Seems like it might be easier with a file explorer that has root access. With that you can mount the system, copy stuff in, change the permissions and reboot. Works for a lot of things on most devices, but depends on the ultimate goal.
Now offering unlocking services - including many Sprint phone unlocks! PM for details!

HTC Droid Eris / Motorola Droid / Samsung Galaxy S Fascinate / Motorola Droid X / LG G2x / HTC Evo 3D (x2) / Samsung Epic 4G Touch (Sprint S2) / HTC Amaze / Samsung Galaxy S3 (International) / Samsung Galaxy Note 2 / Nexus 4 / HTC One / Samsung Galaxy S4 / Sony Xperia ZL / Nexus 5 / OnePlus One (64 GB)

Lgrootnoob
Old
Thanks Meter 104

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by HackAttack37 View Post
Okay, so just typing "sysrw" should work for making the system writable once in adb shell su?
mind the guy above. When you are at the # prompt. You use this code to remount /system, (you should have busybox installed).
Code:
busybox mount -o remount,rw /system
No need to download the whole android sdk or put adb in your path anymore!
Just extract my tool and run the adbClientLaunch script.
To get started go here >
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...ight=adbclient
My name is Jacob Lane but I prefer to go by Lgrootnoob. (You may also know me as Faelo the music producer)

What have I created? See here:

adbClient
Lg Lucid 2 root and other random contributions to the forums here

es0tericcha0s
Old
Thanks Meter 504

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lgrootnoob View Post
mind the guy above. When you are at the # prompt. You use this code to remount /system, (you should have busybox installed).
Code:
busybox mount -o remount,rw /system
The command I posted is specifically for the Dell Streak 7 from their forums. The generic one might work, but I always find specific answers to be best.

Lgrootnoob
Old
Thanks Meter 104

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by es0tericcha0s View Post
The command I posted is specifically for the Dell Streak 7 from their forums. The generic one might work, but I always find specific answers to be best.
Alright, fair enough.
No need to download the whole android sdk or put adb in your path anymore!
Just extract my tool and run the adbClientLaunch script.
To get started go here >
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...ight=adbclient
My name is Jacob Lane but I prefer to go by Lgrootnoob. (You may also know me as Faelo the music producer)

What have I created? See here:

adbClient
Lg Lucid 2 root and other random contributions to the forums here