8 MP Superior Auto vs 15 MP Superior Auto

Search This thread

Mano1982

May 17, 2010
Oslo
Hi everyone,

As i have rooted my Z2, i was able to install Xposed Framework. In Xposed Modes i found a mode which 'force' camera to use full 20 mp (or 15 mp in wide shot) in Superior Auto Mode. I have taken some pics to compare quality but couldn't understand anything. As i know, many of you guys are very interested in photography and know a lot about it, i decided to share some pics with you and let you decide which is better. Here's the link of 4 pics, 2 of them in 8 mp and 2 with 15 mp. (The names of the files indicate 'MP'): https://www.dropbox.com/sh/vvpghc7w187b1ia/_uUAk9NFry

Can provide more shots if needed.

Reactions: ASD007

ASD007

Dec 11, 2008
London
Hi everyone,

As i have rooted my Z2, i was able to install Xposed Framework. In Xposed Modes i found a mode which 'force' camera to use full 20 mp (or 15 mp in wide shot) in Superior Auto Mode. I have taken some pics to compare quality but couldn't understand anything. As i know, many of you guys are very interested in photography and know a lot about it, i decided to share some pics with you and let you decide which is better. Here's the link of 4 pics, 2 of them in 8 mp and 2 with 15 mp. (The names of the files indicate 'MP'): https://www.dropbox.com/sh/vvpghc7w187b1ia/_uUAk9NFry

Great effort. Somehow I noticed the 15 mp has a wider angle. Generally they look very close and still very good quality for both, maybe different lighting conditions and in daylight too maybe easier to distinguish which is best.

Mano1982

May 17, 2010
Oslo
Great effort. Somehow I noticed the 15 mp has a wider angle. Generally they look very close and still very good quality for both, maybe different lighting conditions and in daylight too maybe easier to distinguish which is best.

Thanks for your feedback, mate :) Check the folder again, just poster some more shots. As it's night in Norway now, i couldn't take daylight photos. Will do it tomorrow..

There is a great discussion on quality 8MP and 20MP. Many say 8Mp is better than 20MP, which contain more vivid colors. This video explains a little about!

We could try posting pictures!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFP3Un1mRmY

Thanks for your feedback, mate :) I will take more pictures in daylight tomorrow. Problem is that whenever you enable or disable mod, you have to reboot the phone :)

Reactions: BR4DOKYBrazil

robt772000

Mar 21, 2010
Or that could stay in one of the other threads about rooting and bootloader and drm and this one could be about pictures. This thread has potential.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

I've been here a lot longer than you son. Don't go telling me what to do.
Its still relevant.

jiggyb21

Mar 25, 2013
Its still relevant.

Somehow I knew you were going to say that.
The reason I felt brash enough to say something is because half of all my posts since I've been here have been on that exact topic in other threads that explain in detail what is lost and what isn't. I know for a fact there's info available to answer your question without changing the topic of this thread. I'd link them for you but I'm about to watch Game of Thrones.... And don't get so bent out shape, I'm sure you've scolded more than one person in your long tenure here.

Reactions: hondaguy

robt772000

Mar 21, 2010
The reason I felt brash enough to say something is because half of all my posts since I've been here have been on that exact topic in other threads that explain in detail what is lost and what isn't. I know for a fact there's info available to answer your question without changing the topic of this thread. I'd link them for you but I'm about to watch Game of Thrones.... And don't get so bent out shape, I'm sure you've scolded more than one person in your long tenure here.

Yep no worries. I'm just a fiery biker.
I heard the camera can break from unlocking.

zodiac100

Aug 19, 2010
From my tests and I've done a lot of them since I got the phone last month.
8mp in manual mode with my own settings produced the best results in all lighting conditions. Focusing for me is the z2's greatest problem and one which gets worse the more you increase the resolution.
From the watch photo the OP posted, you can clearly see that the 8mp sample is better focused. At 8mp, everything is better, detail preservation, focus, contrast and dynamic range. Yes you can't zoom in as far as you can with the 15 and 20.7mp snaps but the quality is noticeably better.

Sent from my D6503 using XDA Free mobile app

BoneXDA

Oct 9, 2012
Thanks, very interesting!

Quality is comparable, actually at certain shots SA at 8MP is maybe a more consistently detailed, 15MP is sometimes a little noisier and I don't see much quality edge.

Where this can be very useful however is shooting large resolution full 4:3 frame SA images, as on stock we're limited to 8MP @16:9. It makes sense to give the full 4:3 option, and I'd love to see some 8MP vs. 20MP SA comparisons, if you have the time. :good:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Its still relevant.

There are lots of us who have been here longer than you son :silly:
    Hi everyone,

Thanks for your feedback, mate :) Check the folder again, just poster some more shots. As it's night in Norway now, i couldn't take daylight photos. Will do it tomorrow..

There is a great discussion on quality 8MP and 20MP. Many say 8Mp is better than 20MP, which contain more vivid colors. This video explains a little about!

We could try posting pictures!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFP3Un1mRmY

Thanks for your feedback, mate :) I will take more pictures in daylight tomorrow. Problem is that whenever you enable or disable mod, you have to reboot the phone :)
    Hey can you also let us know what you lost from rooting? DRM etc?

Or that could stay in one of the other threads about rooting and bootloader and drm and this one could be about pictures. This thread has potential.

Its still relevant.