A harsh reminder of why I abandoned Samsung years ago...

OP StNickZA

5th May 2014, 07:55 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Durban
Thanks Meter: 143

494 posts
More
My wife recently upgraded her phone contract to get the new Galaxy S5, and for a relatively small cost extra, they threw in the Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition LTE (SM-P605) which I quickly claimed for myself.

However, it was not long before I was reminded why I abandoned Samsung devices years ago in favour of the Nexus range. The first thing I did when I got home was check for a software update. Nothing at all. Very disappointing for two reasons.

1.) It was still running a 4.3 build from August 2013.
2.) There was no multi-user support; something I was relying on so that my wife and I could share the tablet. This was especially strange considering this feature is available in vanilla 4.3.

So after some searching, I was briefly excited to see that the Kitkat update for the 2014 Edition had landed mere days ago. I began scouring the Internet... Turns out, this update is only for the SM-P600!!! ARGH!

A bit more scouring... Verizon have the tablet on their network right? And they are LTE... And I read something about a Kitkat update for their device! Nooooope! That devices is the SM-P605V.

So here I sit, back in the Samsung camp, completely at the mercy of their erratic update-rollout schedules whilst all of their other tablets EXCEPT mine are enjoying the Kitkat goodness.

God only knows when or if I'll even see a 4.4 update on this device - I'm not holding my breath.

Edit: I'm starting to wonder where I could flash the SM-605V ROM on my device. Seems like the only difference is the LTE band support. I only use Wifi at the moment, so if the worst that can happen is that I lose mobile data, I'd be okay with that.
Last edited by StNickZA; 5th May 2014 at 08:02 AM.
5th May 2014, 08:05 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 5

49 posts
Yes, that is Samsung for you. It feels very annoying but the feeling is soon forgotten after the update is finally released (at least that's the way it went with the old Note). I am also eagerly waiting for Kitkat for my SM-P605..

As it is now, there really is no alternative for Note 2014 edition if you want an Android tablet with high end specs and also want to draw with the tablet. If Google released a 10 inch Nexus tablet with Wacom pen I would probably buy that instead.
The Following User Says Thank You to jankko For This Useful Post: [ View ]
5th May 2014, 08:34 AM   |  #3  
Flag Sydney
Thanks Meter: 7

71 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by StNickZA

My wife recently upgraded her phone contract to get the new Galaxy S5, and for a relatively small cost extra, they threw in the Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition LTE (SM-P605) which I quickly claimed for myself.

However, it was not long before I was reminded why I abandoned Samsung devices years ago in favour of the Nexus range. The first thing I did when I got home was check for a software update. Nothing at all. Very disappointing for two reasons.

1.) It was still running a 4.3 build from August 2013.
2.) There was no multi-user support; something I was relying on so that my wife and I could share the tablet. This was especially strange considering this feature is available in vanilla 4.3.

So after some searching, I was briefly excited to see that the Kitkat update for the 2014 Edition had landed mere days ago. I began scouring the Internet... Turns out, this update is only for the SM-P600!!! ARGH!

A bit more scouring... Verizon have the tablet on their network right? And they are LTE... And I read something about a Kitkat update for their device! Nooooope! That devices is the SM-P605V.

So here I sit, back in the Samsung camp, completely at the mercy of their erratic update-rollout schedules whilst all of their other tablets EXCEPT mine are enjoying the Kitkat goodness.

God only knows when or if I'll even see a 4.4 update on this device - I'm not holding my breath.

Edit: I'm starting to wonder where I could flash the SM-605V ROM on my device. Seems like the only difference is the LTE band support. I only use Wifi at the moment, so if the worst that can happen is that I lose mobile data, I'd be okay with that.

Wait..... so your wife upgraded her phone - and they gave you a Note 10.1 2014 LTE for a small cost.... and now you are having a whinge?

Perhaps you could have gone out and bought a 4.4 loaded KitKat tablet instead?

Yes, you will see KK on the device, in the not too distant future.. Its been released on the Verizon version, so the rest of us are not too far behind. And no, as I understand it, the 605v version rom will not boot on the standard 605 device.

If you needed KK for multi-user, perhaps you should have bought a Nexus 7?

In actual fact, the most recent versions of p605 roms (stock) are from November 2013. What build number is the device reporting?
Last edited by cdinoz; 5th May 2014 at 08:40 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to cdinoz For This Useful Post: [ View ]
5th May 2014, 08:49 AM   |  #4  
OP Senior Member
Flag Durban

494 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdinoz

Wait..... so your wife upgraded her phone - and they gave you a Note 10.1 2014 LTE for a small cost.... and now you are having a whinge?

Perhaps you could have gone out and bought a 4.4 loaded KitKat tablet instead?

Yes, you will see KK on the device, in the not too distant future.. Its been released on the Verizon version, so the rest of us are not too far behind. And no, as I understand it, the 605v version rom will not boot on the standard 605 device.

If you needed KK for multi-user, perhaps you should have bought a Nexus 7?

Thanks for the reply.

The reason I didn't "go out and buy a 4.4 tablet" is because I wasn't actually in the market for a tablet at all, least of all a 7 incher. When we walked into the store, I had no idea I'd be walking out with a tablet; it was an impulse purchase. By getting it alongside my wife's new phone, the tablet basically cost about half of what it would have if I'd bought it cash, so it was a bit of a no-brainer. I made the mistake of ASSUMING that a premium tablet with such impressive hardware specs would have already been updated to Kitkat, and at the very least, include multi-user support. This is the crux of my argument really; when you have been using something like a Nexus for so long, you forget how things lag behind in the world of Samsung.

But lets just put things into perspective for a second... Yes, I am upset that there's no Kitkat ROM yet for this device, when other models (of the SAME device) already have it. It is frustrating. Does that mean I am about to throw it in the bin? Of course not. There's nothing wrong with "having a whinge" about Samsung's policies. I'm certainly not the first to do so. It doesn't mean I think that the tablet is junk, or that I regret buying it. On the contrary, I'm still very impressed and happy with the purchase, and I'm hopeful that Samsung will bring out the Kitkat update sooner rather than later, but the lack of reliable information or time-frames is certainly annoying.

And thank you for the heads-up re. the SM-605V ROM; probably best to scratch that idea.
5th May 2014, 12:12 PM   |  #5  
Flag Spokane, Washington
Thanks Meter: 4,286

8,828 posts
So you buy your devices solely to update them? I've been using the N10.1-14 since October when it came out and have been quite happy with it. 4.4 introduces some improvements I'm looking forward to but it's not like they're required to make the N10.1-14 work. The only thing in your post that seems like a real requirement for you is multi user. So either put it on a shelf and wait for 4.4 or use it yourself until the update comes. I'm not defending Samsung's update process; it's cumbersome and slow. But it's not like their products are unusable or cow dung simply because updates bring a smattering of new features. And updates to Android aren't always beneficial. Google totally borked external SD card access in 4.4 to the point people are staying on or reverting to 4.3.
The Following User Says Thank You to BarryH_GEG For This Useful Post: [ View ]
5th May 2014, 01:59 PM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 8

158 posts
You bought a device you had no prior intention of doing so on a whim at a reduced price and are upset because the latest updates are not currently available to you...? 1st world problems are terrible ain't they...

You bought it as it is, it works 100% as intended. You have no legal right and should have no expectations to any sort of updates - stop whinging and worry about real issues in the world instead.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kempas For This Useful Post: [ View ]
5th May 2014, 02:13 PM   |  #7  
Flag Newcastle Upon Tyne
Thanks Meter: 148

720 posts
@kempas well said sir. Honestly what is up with people it's just an update it makes it look better and makes it faster and blah blah it doesnt exactly change it into a flying machine.

Sent from Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition via Tapatalk.
The Following User Says Thank You to Geordie Affy For This Useful Post: [ View ]
5th May 2014, 02:19 PM   |  #8  
OP Senior Member
Flag Durban

494 posts
More
As I said, I don't want the KitKat update to "make it look pretty or go faster". I want multi-user accounts which is core functionality that was introduced in Android 4.2. It is not unreasonable to expect that it is available in a premium tablet running Android 4.3.
5th May 2014, 02:59 PM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 2

2 posts
I'm pretty surprised by the direction this thread took...

It seemed to be a pretty reasonable post with concerns and questions about the ROM, posted here in a ROM community, and the response has pretty much been "Shut up and stop whinging"
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wayned182 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
5th May 2014, 03:15 PM   |  #10  
Flag Spokane, Washington
Thanks Meter: 4,286

8,828 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kempas

1st world problems are terrible ain't they...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geordie Affy

blah it doesnt exactly change it into a flying machine.

Made me laugh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayned182

I'm pretty surprised by the direction this thread took...

I'm not. 4.4 started rolling out 10 days ago. The SM-P600 owners in Colombia, the U.S., and Canada that won the "got it first" lottery are ecstatic. Everyone else is pissed, envious, and impatient. Posting their dissatisfaction here isn't going to get them their update any faster and no one here can help them. Logically, Samsung would roll out a few regions and watch the feedback to make sure there wasn't anything they missed in testing that needed correction before the global roll out began in earnest. From past experience, it can take two months for the majority of Samsung devices to receive an update once it begins rolling out. Does that mean we need to endure two months of "where's my update?" and "Samsung sucks!" threads from the unfortunate at the latter end of the roll out?

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread