[Q] TMo OTA Push to My S5 on Friday

20th April 2014, 08:29 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 70

370 posts
Has anyone allowed this Kit-Kat push to install? If so, I would be curious to know what has changed, if any settings were lost, disabled apps re-enabled, etc.

I just hate to be a guinea pig for these OTA pushes; always afraid that Google and sammy will continue to lock down the control screws by removing user ability to disable instrusive built-in apps via Application Manager, etc. On the other hand, I realize that they will need to do bug fixes for some period of time after such a new release. In this case, the release notes are the most cryptic that I have ever seen "increases stability" but "might change settings, delete data, etc." What the hell?!!

I am trying to avoid rooting this new device but may be forced to in order to do an image backup to get back to a previous stable state if one of their OTAs wreaks too much havoc. Any thoughts on this or any way to disable OTAs with stock firmware for the TMo USA S5?
20th April 2014, 06:15 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 93

841 posts
What version of software are you on?
So far there has only been one OTA push for the phone and that was the one you would have gotten out of the box.
version NCH.
That one is still rootable too.
I think that is what the root method was actually based on.
4th May 2014, 07:08 AM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 70

370 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArtiszan

What version of software are you on?
So far there has only been one OTA push for the phone and that was the one you would have gotten out of the box.
version NCH.
That one is still rootable too.
I think that is what the root method was actually based on.

Thank you for the reply, Artisan, and sorry for the late reply. I am on NCD (e.g., Build number KOT49H.G900TUVU1ANCD and Baseband G900TUVU1ANCD). I picked my phone up from a TMO store on the release Friday and received the OTA push download a few days later. I have not yet installed it because I cannot determine what it is/does/improves/or limits.

Not quite sure what you mean when you say that there has been one OTA push and I would have received it out of the box. The TMO store unboxed the phone and set it up for me. Either the update was not yet available, or was and they simply did not install it. In any case, it appears that I am on the released version NCD and what they are trying to push to me is the one and only update so far, NCH, right?

My question remains, what does NCH change? The release note is useless; it says "increases stability." Does anyone know the answer to this question?

Thank you!
Bruce
5th May 2014, 10:35 AM   |  #4  
Flag Chicago, IL
Thanks Meter: 363

746 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceElliott

Thank you for the reply, Artisan, and sorry for the late reply. I am on NCD (e.g., Build number KOT49H.G900TUVU1ANCD and Baseband G900TUVU1ANCD). I picked my phone up from a TMO store on the release Friday and received the OTA push download a few days later. I have not yet installed it because I cannot determine what it is/does/improves/or limits.

Not quite sure what you mean when you say that there has been one OTA push and I would have received it out of the box. The TMO store unboxed the phone and set it up for me. Either the update was not yet available, or was and they simply did not install it. In any case, it appears that I am on the released version NCD and what they are trying to push to me is the one and only update so far, NCH, right?

My question remains, what does NCH change? The release note is useless; it says "increases stability." Does anyone know the answer to this question?

Thank you!
Bruce

The NCH update only does what it states, increases stability. It's what everyone is on and doesn't limit anything.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread