Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,809,924 Members 45,203 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Nexus 7 not recognized as MTP on Win7

Tip us?

SassMaster
Old
(Last edited by SassMaster; 4th May 2014 at 08:28 PM.) Reason: I'm a derp...
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Nexus 7 not recognized as MTP on Win7

I've been trying to play with some of the ROM's of Pokemon games recently and i've been using the Pokemon ROM editor to edit the games ROM's. This was before i rooted my nexus 7. Be aware that I haven't flashed any other ROM's or played with any kernels or device mechanics yet and the device was still connecting as MTP before I had rooted and for a while after i had rooted. I can connect it as PTP, but that's not useful when you need to take the whole .nds file for a game off your device. I'm not quite sure what's causing it, but I can tell you what i've already tried so far.

I've reinstalled the ADB drivers and every single part of my Nexus 7 from both PC's that I plugged it into, then enabled MTP and reconnected them, but Windows gives me a driver not found error and so ends the driver solution. I've connected it to more than one PC, one of which had not had the device connected to it ever before, yet it still it didn't appear. (Both PCs are running windows 7), so that means it's either Windows 7 doesn't like Google and wants to screw them by not showing their devices (which is unlikely) or the nexus 7 is just being derpy (which is likely). I've tried different cables, but i assume the cable is alright seeing as it can charge and connect as PTP.

I'm not really sure where else to go from here and i kinda need to edit that ROM soon as my Electabuzz needs to evolve and I need to change his evolution conditions so he evolves at level 56 instead of by trade. There's a random piece of info for you. Also, if i get any solutions that require software downloads, please link to the software or files. I'm pretty new to android tinkering and I don't know all of the terms yet.

EDIT: I don't understand this anymore. At first, PTP was working, now i tried it on a laptop, It didn't work, then i tried it on the PC again and now both PTP and MTP are suddenly working again...

Why does android continue to just fix itself automatically? This is the third time!

wantabe
Old
(Last edited by wantabe; 4th May 2014 at 09:00 PM.)
Thanks Meter 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by SassMaster View Post
EDIT: I don't understand this anymore. At first, PTP was working, now i tried it on a laptop, It didn't work, then i tried it on the PC again and now both PTP and MTP are suddenly working again...

Why does android continue to just fix itself automatically? This is the third time!
Sounds to me like you have a driver or cable/usb port issue. One of these two links might be useful. Installing a USB driver and [FIX] MTP with USB debugging. Sometimes you might need to go into the device manager and uninstall the driver AND driver software then do a fresh install of the driver. You might want to do a reboot of the computer after uninstalling the driver. I've been lucky and never had problems but my brother had problems and we basically just had to uninstall and reinstall the driver.
"Don't confuse me with facts, I've already made up my mind!"

AT&T HTC One X - 4.2.2 CleanROM-odexed/Xposed/ElementalX
Nexus 5 32GB
Nexus 7 32GB (2013)
Nexus 4 8GB-Moved to Better Home!
Nexus 7 16GB-Moved to Better Home!.
Nexus 7 32GB-Moved to Better Home!

LinearEquation
Old
Thanks Meter 405

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by SassMaster View Post

To add to what was said above you will need to disables driver security enforcement in order to install the drivers. This will put your computer in test mode and allow you to install non signed drivers. You will also need to manually install the drivers in device manager. I assume you already tried settings > storage > click three dots in the upper right hand side of the screen > click USB connection > select MTP.

Sent from my Nexus 7 Flo running CM 11 4.4.2 with ElementalX Kernel using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
[ROOT] 2013 KFHD7 Soho firmware 11.x.x.x (no camera)
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...44736&page=101 If needed contact @GranPC for an updated Firerooter.
[Root] 2012 KFHD7 Tate http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1886460
2nd [Bootloader]/[TWRP] KFHD7 Tate
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2128848
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2271909
KFHD7 Tate System Restore Tool http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1951254

wantabe
Old
Thanks Meter 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by LinearEquation View Post
To add to what was said above you will need to disables driver security enforcement in order to install the drivers. This will put your computer in test mode and allow you to install non signed drivers. You will also need to manually install the drivers in device manager. I assume you already tried settings > storage > click three dots in the upper right hand side of the screen > click USB connection > select MTP.

Sent from my Nexus 7 Flo running CM 11 4.4.2 with ElementalX Kernel using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Absolutely right! I also forgot to mention that I have my Windows 7 desktop and laptop both set to Not automatically install drivers which I think makes it easier, at least for me.
"Don't confuse me with facts, I've already made up my mind!"

AT&T HTC One X - 4.2.2 CleanROM-odexed/Xposed/ElementalX
Nexus 5 32GB
Nexus 7 32GB (2013)
Nexus 4 8GB-Moved to Better Home!
Nexus 7 16GB-Moved to Better Home!.
Nexus 7 32GB-Moved to Better Home!

nitrous²
Old
(Last edited by nitrous²; 5th May 2014 at 11:11 AM.)
Thanks Meter 508
You're all wrong! MTP is one big witchery!! It has a mind of its own! It's going to work when you don't need and expect it! It's going to fail when you need and expect it! MTP comes from Microsoft, the house of dark witchcraft and wizardry that gave birth to ugly and sad things like Kin and its misscarried brother Kin 2, Windows Vista and a cursed, evil, dark and lonely soul called Zune! The legend and tales of Gates tell that on Judgement Day, Zune will enslave his very own strain just to take revenge on humanity! Fear the day of revenge! Fear the day of Zune!...
Tags
mtp, pokemon, usb