Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,736,443 Members 50,006 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] The worst galaxy S4 out of the box. Terrible video glitches. Need advise.

Tip us?

ZeldaWW
Old
(Last edited by ZeldaWW; 5th May 2014 at 06:12 AM.) Reason: fix youtube link
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Unhappy [Q] The worst galaxy S4 out of the box. Terrible video glitches. Need advise.

Hi guys, you cant imagine how sad i am. My sister was traveling from middle east and she bought me a present when she came back to my country. She was happy and gave me a brand new galaxy S4 I9500 Octa core international version. She said she was about to buy me an LG G2 but since i liked AMOLED so much she bought me an S4 i9500, so sad, now i regret for being an amoled fan.

Upon first boot, i noticed something was not right with the phone...the boot logo, the one that says samsung was jumping all over the screen from top to bottom. First i thought it was something with the boot but then things went really bad when it started to do the massive flickering while i was on the menu or running an app.

this is a video i took and i was able to record the most lasting glitch, all this flickering happens at random. There is no way to tell if it will do it or not, but happens multiple times during the day. For example i can play, watch an HD movie, i can use the phone normally without any problem for hours, then turn off the screen, turn it back on in some minutes and starts to glitch, or not glitch. It can or cannot happen, randomly, but happens.

Sometimes for example i turn the screen on, and stays black, i have to turn off the screen again and turn it on to make the graphics appear.
Sometimes for example i turn off the phone, after some minutes i turn it back on and the logo starts to move all over the screen for some seconds and stops and stays stable.

So practically i am out of warranty, the phone if from another continent. It says MADE IN INDIA on the back sticker, and came with android 4.3 and then it updated to 4.4.2 and same thing happens

I have to look on how to fix this on my own at the best price possible where i live.

The most dificult part of this is that i donīt know if this issue is tied to:

1) A bad LCD / Amoled screen,
or
2) If it is tied to a bad chip in MAINBOARD on the phone.

replacing the mainboard is cheaper than replacing the LCD screen, but im not really sure what could be the issue. and i dont want to waste money buying a brand new mainboard, change it, and the phone keeps glitching because the mainboard was not the issue.

video here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-9KDAj_V08

Lennyz1988
Old
Thanks Meter 183
Did you try contacting Samsung in your country? Maybe they would fix it anyway.

My guess is that you have a faulty screen. What you could try is to see if all the connectors are properly attaced. Maybe it's a little bit loose.
Current:

Samsung Galaxy S 4 I9505 | WanamLite v2.6

Retired:

Samsung Galaxy S II I9100 : AOKP 4.2.1
HTC Touch Pro2 | ROM: Valkyrie 6.5.23115TR2.5
HTC HD2 | DarkStone1337 [FroyoStone Sense - V3.2]
HTC Desire : Oxygen v2.1.3