Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,768,967 Members 47,527 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

SD-card randomly unmounts

Tip us?

stingray454
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default SD-card randomly unmounts

I've got the 1/8 2100 MHz Omate Truesmart, still running stock firmware (0328) unpatched - I wanted to try it out a bit before playing with other ROM's and such.

Yesterday I installed an SD-card (16 GB sdhc). It worked great for about 10 minutes, then I got a notification on my watch saying something like "SD card unexpectedly removed, please unmount card before removing it" or similar, and then the card was no longer available. I restarted the device, but no change. I suspected I maybe didn't lock the card-holder properly, and opened up the watch again. It was locked, but it did look like it wasn't pressing down the card enough (the SD card had maybe 0.5-1mm "flex" at the connector if I pushed it). I made a McGyver fix and placed a small piece of paper between the card and the holder, pushing the card down a bit more so it was firmly in contact with the SD-card pins. After assembly it worked great again.

Until now, about 24h later. I got a new notification saying my card was unexpectedly removed. Everything looks good inside the watch, so I'm starting to suspect it's a software issue. Does anyone know if the TS have any known issues with the SD card? Or, possibly, if any specific app or similar may cause SD-card unmounting. Never had this issue on any other device, but knowing the state of Omates software it's a likely candidate. Just hoping it's not a hardware issue.

Any ideas?

Smockingjacket
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by stingray454 View Post
I've got the 1/8 2100 MHz Omate Truesmart, still running stock firmware (0328) unpatched - I wanted to try it out a bit before playing with other ROM's and such.

Yesterday I installed an SD-card (16 GB sdhc). It worked great for about 10 minutes, then I got a notification on my watch saying something like "SD card unexpectedly removed, please unmount card before removing it" or similar, and then the card was no longer available. I restarted the device, but no change. I suspected I maybe didn't lock the card-holder properly, and opened up the watch again. It was locked, but it did look like it wasn't pressing down the card enough (the SD card had maybe 0.5-1mm "flex" at the connector if I pushed it). I made a McGyver fix and placed a small piece of paper between the card and the holder, pushing the card down a bit more so it was firmly in contact with the SD-card pins. After assembly it worked great again.

Until now, about 24h later. I got a new notification saying my card was unexpectedly removed. Everything looks good inside the watch, so I'm starting to suspect it's a software issue. Does anyone know if the TS have any known issues with the SD card? Or, possibly, if any specific app or similar may cause SD-card unmounting. Never had this issue on any other device, but knowing the state of Omates software it's a likely candidate. Just hoping it's not a hardware issue.

Any ideas?
I had this happen to me last week. I turned off all modes, closed all apps and reset the watch. Hasn't happened since. I suspect an app was causing the trouble.

stingray454
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smockingjacket View Post
I had this happen to me last week. I turned off all modes, closed all apps and reset the watch. Hasn't happened since. I suspect an app was causing the trouble.
I've tried disabling most apps / services, apply stock launcher again and such without any success. After some googling it seems there are a few options. Either bad connection on the card (possible, as it held up for at least a day after wedging in the card more securely), software incompatibility (seems 4.1 had big issues with this especially, and some SD-card brands seem to suffer more from this than others), or finally a defective SD-card. Some SD-cards just seem to fail after a while, even though it hasn't happened to me before. For now I think I'll just leave the card in place until the next software update (if we will ever see one), or try another SD card once I get my hands on one.

If anyone else suffers from this, it would be nice to hear how you solved it.

Also, for reference, my SD card is a Kingston 16 GB sdhc card.