Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,772,276 Members 44,530 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Nexus 5 to GPE M8 - Questions

Tip us?

grentuu
Old
(Last edited by grentuu; 5th May 2014 at 01:00 PM.)
Thanks Meter 141
Interesting point on GPE performance.

I bought the stock sense version.

Antutu measures it as 34571 immediately after booting with only system apps running, putting it in 2nd place behind the Note 3.

Same test on GPE (Converted to GPE using RUU) 37,844

AT that point my device was number 10 in the world (well at least those people who used Antutu lol)

It hammered the Note 3 easily in GPE.

Same device - same hardware - same software (minus OS - or rather sense) - same test - completely different result.

I UPGRADED TO A 5GHZ CABLE HUB FOR THIS???

IF I DON'T HELP YOU, IT'S NOT BECAUSE I DON'T GIVE A TOSS. I JUST DON'T KNOW THE ANSWER.
IF I DO, PLEASE HIT THE THANKS BUTTON.

Wildo6882
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkym0nkey View Post
Everyone knows camera is weakest link on M8. If you bought M8, you know its limitations. It has been well documented that your daylight pics wont look as good as most other flagship devices which includes Nexus 5. Nexus 5 after the camera updates take brilliant HDR images which are comparable to even Samsung or LG flagships. Better at times.
The images on M8 are flatter. Those who want to defend the M8 Ultra Pixel camera say that it does not matter if you are watching pictures on phone or monitor, but it is clearly visible on most high resolution good quality monitors. Specially if you compare it side by side to images taken by say S4, s5 or even Nexus 5. Even when they are not zoomed in, you can see more detail and sharpness. So nothing out of ordinary here.

As far as Android experience is concerned, GPE is not any faster than Nexus 5 in terms of how it feels while navigating Android UI. The 2 things where M8 kills Nexus 5 is the feel of the phone in hands and battery life. Even on GPE battery life is phenomenal.

If you moved to M8 GPE hoping you will feel the increased performance while using phone, you will be disappointed. There is virtually no difference in performance. You are paying for the hardware quality and materials used. Not for performance.
I didn't think there would be much of a performance boost if any. That wasn't what I was looking for. The screen is better on the M8. So is the build materials, battery (which is A LOT better), and it has SD support. SD support may be a little limited, but you can still easily put movies, shows, and music on there from the Play Store.

Camera is definitely the weakest link. The samples I saw of the Sense version seemed to be pretty solid, but most of the pics I got weren't as good. And I thought it performed fairly well outside. It was indoors where it seemed to falter. Got a lot of dim, blurry pics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grentuu View Post
Interesting point on GPE performance.

I bought the stock sense version.

Antutu measures it as 34571 immediately after booting with only system apps running, putting it in 2nd place behind the Note 3.

Same test on GPE (Converted to GPE using RUU) 37,844

AT that point my device was number 10 in the world (well at least those people who used Antutu lol)

It hammered the Note 3 easily in GPE.

Same device - same hardware - same software (minus OS - or rather sense) - same test - completely different result.
Yeah, I saw a video of someone playing graphic intensive games on the Sense and GPE version, and the GPE was noticeably less choppy. Just goes to show what skins can really do to a phone.

grentuu
Old
Thanks Meter 141
There is a complete thread with pictures showing what the M8 is capable of...

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...694621&page=52

IF I DON'T HELP YOU, IT'S NOT BECAUSE I DON'T GIVE A TOSS. I JUST DON'T KNOW THE ANSWER.

Wildo6882
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Quote:
There is a complete thread with pictures showing what the M8 is capable of...

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...694621&page=52
That's the Sense version, though, isn't it?

I think the GPE loses some capabilities. It still takes some decent pics, but not as good as the Sense version.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

grentuu
Old
Thanks Meter 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildo6882 View Post
That's the Sense version, though, isn't it?

I think the GPE loses some capabilities. It still takes some decent pics, but not as good as the Sense version.

You have to weigh up the pro's and cons. I want the sense camera but prefer GPE. I like the Vanilla minus bloatware of Sense. So it was GPE for me.

Plus I have an S4 for pics

Wildo6882
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Quote:
You have to weigh up the pro's and cons. I want the sense camera but prefer GPE. I like the Vanilla minus bloatware of Sense. So it was GPE for me.

Plus I have an S4 for pics
Yeah. I'm a stock guy through and through. I basically ditched Verizon just to have the phone freedom of AT&T. I have a Sony point and shoot camera that's a few years old. Takes decent pics, but nothing spectacular. And it's a pain to get out for those candid shots of kids. But it works for times when you know you'll need the camera. So looks like I should probably get back to that GPE.