Question [Q] Bad ESN/IMEI Fix?

Hello,

I am wanting to find a way to make LEGAL cash and have no intention in breaking any laws whatsoever.

Say you have a phone (Galaxy S4, iPhone 5, etc) and it has been blacklisted and cannot be used with another carrier. What if i buy an S4 (or whatever) with a good IMEI or ESN but its broken (screen cracked wifi dont work, etc) and apply the ESN or IMEI to the blacklisted phone? Is this illegal?

I read that it is illegal to do this if you are intentionally applying an ESN to a phone in order to spy on someone, etc. but the ESN i would use to make the black listed phone work would come from a completely destroyed phone (but has a good ESN) and would most likely be taken apart and sold piece by piece after applying the ESN/IMEI to the phone being repaired.

I also read that you can unlock a phone to be used internationally if it is blacklisted in the U.S. and it would work for carriers overseas but that may change soon.

Is there any way that doing this type of thing would NOT be illegal? Is there any websites with up to date information you guys can recommend so i can read up on this? Any recommendations (besides ebay) to find destroyed phones with verified good IMEI/ESN numbers would get great as well.

I would like to start a side business as i love tinkering with phones/computers/tablets etc. plus the extra money would be nice.

I need some extra cash and i know that i would most likely have to purchase an expensive program like CDMA Workshop or something like that in order to legally transfer IMEI/ESN information but i would like to start a business doing this to make some extra cash on the side, but LEGALLY.

Any information on the matter would be greatly appreciated.
Dropbox: https://db.tt/qvJlAa3T <--- 500mb Extra !!