TWRP 2.8.3.0 Available for Supported Devices

The TeamWin Recovery Project (or TWRP, for short) has quickly become one of the most popular … more

Easily Generate and Export Material Design Palletes

For many people, it can be pretty difficult to create a palette of complementary colors. … more

Android One Expanding to Bangladesh, Nepal, and Sri Lanka

At Google I/O 2013, Google proudly announced that the Android operating system was … more

Android 5.0.2 Fixes 2012 Nexus 7! Sony’s Making a Google Glass Competitor? – XDA TV

Android 5.0.2 Lollipop is available for the … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

Root de vega vs. kingo?

OP newr

27th April 2014, 07:27 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 5
 
158 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2011
Hi..sorry if this has been answered, but I don't see it on t-mobile.
I am planning to root my phone to run the regionlock (hopefully unlock sim). Getting confused with all the different methods available.
I don't want to trip Knox..was planning to use RDLV, but then read something about Kingo, but that wasn't listed as a method for rooting on the FAQ?
So what's the difference? Is one better than other? I also read that any installation of ROMs will trigger the knox? So if I rooted, how can I get to the newest firmware? Just unroot and update OTA?
28th April 2014, 12:45 AM   |  #2  
smaisonville's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 61
 
155 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2011
More
If you are 4.3 you can root without tripping knox. I used RDLV I felt is was safer. XDA removed Kingo, it may not be safe. I know many have used it and are a big fan of Kingo. I did not like idea of some third party rooting my phone, they can do anything they choose to do. That is just my personal choice.

If you are 4.4.2 Kitkat, the rooting method available will trip Knox.

OTA, will not work automatically. You will need to use Odin. There are threads on how to all the above.

I am stock rooted 4.3, I have not jump on the Kitkat wagon yet. There are mixed reviews on moving to Kitkat.


Good luck and enjoy!

Sent from my SM-N900T using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
28th April 2014, 01:00 AM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 5
 
158 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by smaisonville

If you are 4.3 you can root without tripping knox. I used RDLV I felt is was safer. XDA removed Kingo, it may not be safe. I know many have used it and are a big fan of Kingo. I did not like idea of some third party rooting my phone, they can do anything they choose to do. That is just my personal choice.

If you are 4.4.2 Kitkat, the rooting method available will trip Knox.

OTA, will not work automatically. You will need to use Odin. There are threads on how to all the above.

I am stock rooted 4.3, I have not jump on the Kitkat wagon yet. There are mixed reviews on moving to Kitkat.


Good luck and enjoy!

Sent from my SM-N900T using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Thanks. if I stay rooted but want to move up to Kitkat but not use custom ROM, can I flash the offical firmware? And would that trigger KNOX? I read any flashing ROM will trigger it too? This is much more complicated...did this stuff a few years ago with HTC...now there's so much more stuff to consider
28th April 2014, 04:49 AM   |  #4  
eudemonics's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 12
 
103 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2007
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by newr

Thanks. if I stay rooted but want to move up to Kitkat but not use custom ROM, can I flash the offical firmware? And would that trigger KNOX? I read any flashing ROM will trigger it too? This is much more complicated...did this stuff a few years ago with HTC...now there's so much more stuff to consider

i think you can flash to 4.4.2 (KitKat) using odin mobile pro without triggering knox, at least that's what i've read on here that others have done successfully. if you want to upgrade you'll need to upgrade your bootloader too. keep in mind that once you do this, you can't revert or downgrade back to jellybean 4.3 or downgrade the bootloader (knox requires a signed bootloader to go with a signed official ROM, apparently).

personally if i were you i'd stay on jellybean 4.3 and use the root de la vega method. i'm a bit miffed mine came with 4.4.2 already on it.

i miss how easy it all was back on HTC too could root, flash recovery, ROM, kernel, and return to factory settings like new. *sigh*
28th April 2014, 08:03 AM   |  #5  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 5
 
158 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by eudemonics

i think you can flash to 4.4.2 (KitKat) using odin mobile pro without triggering knox, at least that's what i've read on here that others have done successfully. if you want to upgrade you'll need to upgrade your bootloader too. keep in mind that once you do this, you can't revert or downgrade back to jellybean 4.3 or downgrade the bootloader (knox requires a signed bootloader to go with a signed official ROM, apparently).

personally if i were you i'd stay on jellybean 4.3 and use the root de la vega method. i'm a bit miffed mine came with 4.4.2 already on it.

i miss how easy it all was back on HTC too could root, flash recovery, ROM, kernel, and return to factory settings like new. *sigh*

Do you mean flashing 4.4.2 official rom which will become unroot again right? How about going to 4.4.2 and stay root with stock type ROM..not customized?
4th May 2014, 07:58 AM   |  #6  
eudemonics's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 12
 
103 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2007
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by newr

Do you mean flashing 4.4.2 official rom which will become unroot again right? How about going to 4.4.2 and stay root with stock type ROM..not customized?

if you go the mobile odin pro route, it should root it again for you if it gets unrooted

you can get the steps on how to upgrade to 4.4.2 and keep root with knox 0x0 using mobile odin pro on this thread:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...2676412&page=2
Last edited by eudemonics; 4th May 2014 at 08:04 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to eudemonics For This Useful Post: [ View ]
5th May 2014, 04:30 PM   |  #7  
Lorettaa's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag iloilo
Thanks Meter: 36
 
400 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2014
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by eudemonics

if you go the mobile odin pro route, it should root it again for you if it gets unrooted

you can get the steps on how to upgrade to 4.4.2 and keep root with knox 0x0 using mobile odin pro on this thread:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...2676412&page=2


I saw in that thread, he spent $4 for odin pro?

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes