Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,807,179 Members 41,966 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

S-Off?

Tip us?

grunt0300
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 27
Default S-Off?

I'm waiting to pick up the M8, but one thing is driving me crazy. What the bleep is s-off. I understand that in order to flash a GPE rom, i have to disable it after i root. Thanks.
Give yourself, to the Dark Side!

garyd9
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 1,982
Quote:
Originally Posted by grunt0300 View Post
I'm waiting to pick up the M8, but one thing is driving me crazy. What the bleep is s-off. I understand that in order to flash a GPE rom, i have to disable it after i root. Thanks.
As another person not familiar with HTC android devices, I understand your confusion. However, before I answer, I'll mention that this thread belongs in the Q&A section - AND that the answer is easily found with google (in this case, a plain google search is better than searching XDA.)

Here's your answer: https://www.google.com/search?q=what...=what+is+s-off

(From what I've read, S-Off turns off HTC's security mechanism that overwrites any changes you make to protected partitions on each boot.)

Take care
Gary

Donations: I don't accept donations, but if you are feeling charitable, help a child by going to http://www.shrinershospitalsforchildren.org/
and click the "Donate Now" link at the top.

johnnyutah22
Old
Thanks Meter 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by grunt0300 View Post
Here is the answer: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1680928
The Following User Says Thank You to johnnyutah22 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

orangekid
Old
Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter 3,071
Moved to Q&A

an0ther
Old
Thanks Meter 192
You don't need s-off to flash a gpe rom, you need it to do a full conversion which really gives you no benefits. I would s-off if you can for other features, but converting your phone can give you ota updates, but usually the roms get the update same day or sooner.
The Following User Says Thank You to an0ther For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

grunt0300
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by an0ther View Post
You don't need s-off to flash a gpe rom, you need it to do a full conversion which really gives you no benefits. I would s-off if you can for other features, but converting your phone can give you ota updates, but usually the roms get the update same day or sooner.
Thanks. I had read that in order to convert the AT&T version to GPE, you needed to be S-OFF. Now i really can't wait to get this phone.
Give yourself, to the Dark Side!