Nova Launcher Update Brings Lollipop Functionality and Feel

One of the most popular third party launcher on Android, Nova Launcher, has just … more

Check Your I/O Usage with Iotop for Android

Ever needed to check the I/O usage of apps? If so, you probably tried searching for an iotop … more

T-Mobile HTC One M8 Gets Selfie-Friendly Android 4.4.4 OTA

The T-Mobie variant of HTC One (M8) just now received an over-the-air update … more

Android L is for Lockdown

Root is, without a doubt, the (un)holy grail of the Android world. Those wonderful permissions that allow you as … more

S-Off?

OP grunt0300

5th May 2014, 01:24 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag aboard the Death Star
Thanks Meter: 27

424 posts
More
I'm waiting to pick up the M8, but one thing is driving me crazy. What the bleep is s-off. I understand that in order to flash a GPE rom, i have to disable it after i root. Thanks.
5th May 2014, 03:38 PM   |  #2  
Recognized Developer
Flag Pittsburgh, PA
Thanks Meter: 1,989

1,968 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grunt0300

I'm waiting to pick up the M8, but one thing is driving me crazy. What the bleep is s-off. I understand that in order to flash a GPE rom, i have to disable it after i root. Thanks.

As another person not familiar with HTC android devices, I understand your confusion. However, before I answer, I'll mention that this thread belongs in the Q&A section - AND that the answer is easily found with google (in this case, a plain google search is better than searching XDA.)

Here's your answer: https://www.google.com/search?q=what...=what+is+s-off

(From what I've read, S-Off turns off HTC's security mechanism that overwrites any changes you make to protected partitions on each boot.)

Take care
Gary
5th May 2014, 03:39 PM   |  #3  
Flag Tennessee
Thanks Meter: 105

435 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grunt0300

Here is the answer: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1680928
The Following User Says Thank You to johnnyutah22 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
5th May 2014, 04:01 PM   |  #4  
Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter: 3,107

10,264 posts
More
Moved to Q&A
5th May 2014, 08:25 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 202

589 posts
You don't need s-off to flash a gpe rom, you need it to do a full conversion which really gives you no benefits. I would s-off if you can for other features, but converting your phone can give you ota updates, but usually the roms get the update same day or sooner.
The Following User Says Thank You to an0ther For This Useful Post: [ View ]
5th May 2014, 08:29 PM   |  #6  
OP Senior Member
Flag aboard the Death Star
Thanks Meter: 27

424 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by an0ther

You don't need s-off to flash a gpe rom, you need it to do a full conversion which really gives you no benefits. I would s-off if you can for other features, but converting your phone can give you ota updates, but usually the roms get the update same day or sooner.

Thanks. I had read that in order to convert the AT&T version to GPE, you needed to be S-OFF. Now i really can't wait to get this phone.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread