Set Up Your MediaTek Device with Comprehensive Beginner’s Guide

As can be seen with the use of MediaTek chips in Android One devices … more

Sony Updates AOSP Sources to Android 5.0.1

Just a few days ago, Sony did an utterly fantastic job by pushing out numerous device trees for … more

Stop Your Screen From Turning Off with KeepItOn

We all know the feeling of reading a news article orrather longdocument, when our screen … more

The XDA LG QPair Developer Challenge Voting Has Begun!

It seems like it was just yesterday that weannounced that we had paired up with LGto … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Nexus 7 (2012) Cannot be Recognized (Tried Everything)

OP NecroGi

5th May 2014, 06:17 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

5 posts
Hello,

First off, I've gone through the forums and I have looked up other posts and despite everything I cannot figure out how to get my nexus 7 tablet to be recognized by the computer (I tried and after two days of searching for answers I decided to make a post). I like to include this information so people don't assume that I post without browsing or haven't tried anything yet.

The thing that I am having troubles with is that I have a nexus 7 tablet that is softbricked, I have already gone through a lot of ways to fix that problem (I found the best solution is this:http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1809195). However, the issue is is that I cannot get my computer to recognize the nexus tablet to flash it and restore it back to factory settings.

I have installed and updated the device drivers on my computer, but still I have had no such luck. I found that ADB doesn't recognize the device whilst in the Bootloader, but still will not recognize the device in recovery mode. If anyone has any tips, or suggestions that might work PLEASE let me know, at this point I'm getting desperate and any/all help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!
5th May 2014, 06:27 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 590

3,105 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by NecroGi

Hello,

First off, I've gone through the forums and I have looked up other posts and despite everything I cannot figure out how to get my nexus 7 tablet to be recognized by the computer (I tried and after two days of searching for answers I decided to make a post). I like to include this information so people don't assume that I post without browsing or haven't tried anything yet.

The thing that I am having troubles with is that I have a nexus 7 tablet that is softbricked, I have already gone through a lot of ways to fix that problem (I found the best solution is this:http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1809195). However, the issue is is that I cannot get my computer to recognize the nexus tablet to flash it and restore it back to factory settings.

I have installed and updated the device drivers on my computer, but still I have had no such luck. I found that ADB doesn't recognize the device whilst in the Bootloader, but still will not recognize the device in recovery mode. If anyone has any tips, or suggestions that might work PLEASE let me know, at this point I'm getting desperate and any/all help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

adb is not designed to be usable in bootloader mode. You need fastboot for that. If you have the fastboot.exe program in the same folder as your adb stuff, try this:

fastboot devices

If it reads, then all you need to do is fastboot flash the various .img files back to the tablet. There are tool kits that do this for you, but I prefer doing it manually as there are less chances of things messing up and if they do, you're more likely to know at what step which could be useful for further troubleshooting if need be. It is important to download the correct img files due to differences between the generations and wifi / data enabled ones. There is a flash-all script that you can find in the download of the factory images, which might make it easier, but you can just manually flash the separate files as sometimes you don't need to bother with them all (like the bootloader) though if the script works, then it'll be fine and might make it easier if you are not familiar with the commands.

If you don't have fastboot at all, just grab it from here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2317790

Nexus img files: https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images

Hit me up on Hangouts if you need more direction.
The Following User Says Thank You to es0tericcha0s For This Useful Post: [ View ]
5th May 2014, 06:36 PM   |  #3  
Account currently disabled
Flag Dallas
Thanks Meter: 108

485 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Hello,

Thank you!

You won't get adb in bootloader mode.
You have to use the fastboot command.

Please tell the OS on your computer.

Use the tool in my signature as an environment.
Download 7zip, and install that.
Then go here and download the proper image for your device.
It would either be "Factory Images "nakasi" for Nexus 7 (Wi-Fi)" or "Factory Images "nakasig" for Nexus 7 (Mobile)".
Grab the 4.4.2 version.
Extract the downloaded file with 7zip into the "Work" folder in the tool form my signature.
Then extract that "nakasig-kot49h-factory-83d93b5f.tar" file with 7zip.
Then go into the folder that came out of that, and extract the "image-nakasig-kot49h.zip" into the Work folder.
And enter the following commands while in bootloader.
Code:
fastboot oem unlock
fastboot erase userdata
fastboot erase system
fastboot erase recovery
fastboot erase cache
cd nakasig-kot49h
fastboot flash boot boot.img
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
fastboot flash system system.img
fastboot reboot
Make SURE you grab the correct image for your device. Wifi or Mobile.
I also assume that you know the .img files should be in the Work folder before you type thse commands into my tool.
Last edited by Lgrootnoob; 5th May 2014 at 06:39 PM.
5th May 2014, 06:56 PM   |  #4  
OP Junior Member

5 posts
Hey guys, first of all thank you for the speedy replies and steps I should follow.

Right now I'm using OSX but for the tablet I'm using a virtual Win7 machine to try and get this damn tablet to be recognized by the computer. The process is being delayed a little bit because my micro USB cords are being temperamental, meaning that the tablet has no juice, and when I mess with it (using the power + volume buttons to boot to bootloader/recover) the cord comes unplugged. I know automatically you guys are going to pinpoint this as the source of the issue (mainly because I would too), but it works fine if just laid flat and stays connected. It just has zero charge so when it disconnects/reconnects I literally have to power it back up, just need to wait for it to have some charge before I tinker with it more.

I will post updates after it charges.

Although I already thanked you guys, thanks again for speedy reply. It's much appreciated.
5th May 2014, 07:01 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 590

3,105 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Hey guys, first of all thank you for the speedy replies and steps I should follow.

Right now I'm using OSX but for the tablet I'm using a virtual Win7 machine to try and get this damn tablet to be recognized by the computer. The process is being delayed a little bit because my micro USB cords are being temperamental, meaning that the tablet has no juice, and when I mess with it (using the power + volume buttons to boot to bootloader/recover) the cord comes unplugged. I know automatically you guys are going to pinpoint this as the source of the issue (mainly because I would too), but it works fine if just laid flat and stays connected. It just has zero charge so when it disconnects/reconnects I literally have to power it back up, just need to wait for it to have some charge before I tinker with it more.

I will post updates after it charges.

Although I already thanked you guys, thanks again for speedy reply. It's much appreciated.

I suggest to STOP!!!

If you are trying to restore the device and the cable disconnects in the middle of it, it might not be recoverable. That would be one of the few ways to really damage the tablet as they are pretty difficult to hard brick. Don't half ass it with stuff like this. A good cable is not THAT much and will certainly be cheaper than a new tablet or getting it to a point where you might have to send it somewhere for service.

I'm not familiar with Macs, but if you are more so, then this might be better than using a Virtual set up:

https://code.google.com/p/adb-fastboot-install/
The Following User Says Thank You to es0tericcha0s For This Useful Post: [ View ]
5th May 2014, 09:44 PM   |  #6  
OP Junior Member

5 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by es0tericcha0s

I suggest to STOP!!!

If you are trying to restore the device and the cable disconnects in the middle of it, it might not be recoverable. That would be one of the few ways to really damage the tablet as they are pretty difficult to hard brick. Don't half ass it with stuff like this. A good cable is not THAT much and will certainly be cheaper than a new tablet or getting it to a point where you might have to send it somewhere for service.

I'm not familiar with Macs, but if you are more so, then this might be better than using a Virtual set up:

It's actually working fine now (in the sense that the computer can now read it). The Virtual Machine also works just as good, but for some reason the toolkit I'm using won't properly return the tablet to the stock image using the SkipSoft Android ToolKit, so I'm going to have to try and find another way.

Thanks for your guys' help.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread