Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,772,571 Members 51,741 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Trying to S-Off but keep running into walls.

Tip us?

Pauls57
Old
Thanks Meter 22
It was suggested to first install htc sync manager with the drivers, then uninstall sync manager, but leave the drivers installed. Try that.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

robocuff
Old
Thanks Meter 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauls57 View Post
It was suggested to first install htc sync manager with the drivers, then uninstall sync manager, but leave the drivers installed. Try that.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Also, if you have any other type of phone software such as pdanet installed on your computer, either uninstall it or close it before trying to run the exploit.

Joshy8
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauls57 View Post
Yeah, I did that already. I'm convinced this isn't a driver issue since I never actually see the adb device(or an unknown device) in my device manager.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocuff View Post
Also, if you have any other type of phone software such as pdanet installed on your computer, either uninstall it or close it before trying to run the exploit.
I don't. I haven't gotten that far since I haven't gotten s-off done.

robocuff
Old
(Last edited by robocuff; 5th May 2014 at 03:34 AM.)
Thanks Meter 82
Are you using a USB 2.0 port on your computer. USB 3.0 will cause problems with ADB. What operating system does your computer have on it? Windows 8 doesn't seem to get along well with ADB either. Seems to work for some, and not for others.

nicholi2789
Old
(Last edited by nicholi2789; 5th May 2014 at 04:45 AM.)
Thanks Meter 159

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshy8 View Post
Yeah, I did that already. I'm convinced this isn't a driver issue since I never actually see the adb device(or an unknown device) in my device manager.

I don't. I haven't gotten that far since I haven't gotten s-off done.
That just seems to me that it IS more likely a driver issue. You should see your device name or at least unknown device. Open up your device manager, then unplug your phone and replug it in. See what it shows when it refreshes. It will be under portable devices or Android USB devices or both. Mine shows both. If you still need help shoot me a PM and I can walk you through.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocuff View Post
Are you using a USB 2.0 port on your computer. USB 3.0 will cause problems with ADB. What operating system does your computer have on it? Windows 8 doesn't seem to get along well with ADB either. Seems to work for some, and not for others.
Windows 8 doesn't have any problems with adb. I've used it flawlessly on several computers. USB 3.0 neither. USB 3.0 can however cause problems with Firewater running correctly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot (142).png
Views:	24
Size:	150.7 KB
ID:	2726284  
Verizon HTC One (M8)>S-OFF >TWRPv2.7.0.2>ViperOne-v1.8.0>64gb ext SD
NEXUS 7 (2012)>MultiRom21b>CM11>SlimKat

"For what have you really accomplished when you have bested a fool?"
"It is a huge mistake to theorize before one has data. Inevitably, one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."

Verizon Galaxy S4 (SOLD) Verizon Galaxy S3 (SOLD) Verizon Galaxy NEXUS (SOLD)

Joshy8
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholi2789 View Post
That just seems to me that it IS more likely a driver issue. You should see your device name or at least unknown device. Open up your device manager, then unplug your phone and replug it in. See what it shows when it refreshes. It will be under portable devices or Android USB devices or both. Mine shows both. If you still need help shoot me a PM and I can walk you through.
Right, you just argued why I don't think it's a driver issue. I've played with ADB before. I plug my Droid Bionic in and ADB comes right up on my desktop. On my HTPC that doesn't have the driver installed I get an unknown device.

But, with my HTC One M8, I never get any ADB device or an unknown device.. I get the HTC media device or whatever it is(mounts the storage on the desktop0, but I have *never* seen an ADB device or an unknown device from my HTC One M8... ever.

Thanks for the offer of the PM. I'm going to bed since I'm only 3 hours past my bedtime. But I'll PM you tomorrow and hopefully we can figure this out.

nicholi2789
Old
Thanks Meter 159

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Right, you just argued why I don't think it's a driver issue. I've played with ADB before. I plug my Droid Bionic in and ADB comes right up on my desktop. On my HTPC that doesn't have the driver installed I get an unknown device.

But, with my HTC One M8, I never get any ADB device or an unknown device.. I get the HTC media device or whatever it is(mounts the storage on the desktop0, but I have *never* seen an ADB device or an unknown device from my HTC One M8... ever.

Thanks for the offer of the PM. I'm going to bed since I'm only 3 hours past my bedtime. But I'll PM you tomorrow and hopefully we can figure this out.
I don't know, I have had lots of driver issues on lots of devices and had to sort it out many times. Most notably was my Nexus 7 that thing was the hardest device to get drivers installed for, it took me hours. I've gotten pretty dang efficient at installing drivers nowadays though. I need more specific information about your set-up before I can really offer good advice though. The HTC Media Cd rom that you see pop up when you plug in is the CDROM.iso. It's just stupid HTC bloatware crap, you can disable it or delete it once you have root. When you plug it in you should see the CDROM popup on your desktop then it should mount as MTP too. You should be able to browse your internal and external storage.
One thing I would suggest though and you may think i'm crazy for it.. Swap the USB cable your using for a different one and try that on a different usb port. I've messed around trying to get drivers installed for hours, only to switch the USB cord and have it work just fine. I've even had this problem with brand new USB cords.
If you do still need help tomorrow don't hesitate to shoot me a PM, I would be glad to help.
Verizon HTC One (M8)>S-OFF >TWRPv2.7.0.2>ViperOne-v1.8.0>64gb ext SD
NEXUS 7 (2012)>MultiRom21b>CM11>SlimKat

"For what have you really accomplished when you have bested a fool?"
"It is a huge mistake to theorize before one has data. Inevitably, one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."

Verizon Galaxy S4 (SOLD) Verizon Galaxy S3 (SOLD) Verizon Galaxy NEXUS (SOLD)

hager03
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:

I don't know if this will help but I see you typing in adb device, it must be adb devices you must have the s.
Don't ask me how I know.

Joshy8
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by hager03 View Post
I don't know if this will help but I see you typing in adb device, it must be adb devices you must have the s.
Don't ask me how I know.
Haha. I wont' ask. Thanks for the tip, but I am doing adb devices. It comes back and says something like "List of devices found" or something and then is blank. Of course, it works just fine on my Bionic.. haha. It's always listed.

l7777
Old
Thanks Meter 78
This is going to be a silly question, but did you turn on USB Debugging in the developer options? Does the phone say USB debugging connected on the phone's notification tray?

You should either have unknown device or you should see it listed properly in device manager.

I would go through device manager and uninstall any devices related to the phone. When prompted I would also remove the drivers. Then follow the below guide.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2742295