Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] File sharing outside network

OP Tyfighter

2nd May 2014, 06:15 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 60

269 posts
OK, so right now I've got a folder on a windows xp machine shared across my home network via smb. I want to take this to the next level and be able to access it everywhere. I need to be able to get to it on Android and write access would be nice but not necessary. I've been googling around and all I've been able to gather is that smb is a bad idea. What would be the best way to go about making this happen?
5th May 2014, 11:01 PM   |  #2  
Account currently disabled
Flag Dallas
Thanks Meter: 108

485 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyfighter

OK, so right now I've got a folder on a windows xp machine shared across my home network via smb. I want to take this to the next level and be able to access it everywhere. I need to be able to get to it on Android and write access would be nice but not necessary. I've been googling around and all I've been able to gather is that smb is a bad idea. What would be the best way to go about making this happen?

Use the filezilla ftp server, setup the port you want to use and the password and configure everything accordingly. (I can help)

And then setup port forwarding on your router.

Then install "Turbo Ftp Client" from the google play store.
Set it up with the external ip address of your network and the port that you forwarded on your router.

And bam, you could access anywhere.
Google is your friend, but if you've searched and read about the stuff listed above, I will be glad to help guide you.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread