Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,733,293 Members 39,086 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] File sharing outside network

Tip us?

Tyfighter
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 60
Default [Q] File sharing outside network

OK, so right now I've got a folder on a windows xp machine shared across my home network via smb. I want to take this to the next level and be able to access it everywhere. I need to be able to get to it on Android and write access would be nice but not necessary. I've been googling around and all I've been able to gather is that smb is a bad idea. What would be the best way to go about making this happen?

Lgrootnoob
Old
Thanks Meter 96

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyfighter View Post
OK, so right now I've got a folder on a windows xp machine shared across my home network via smb. I want to take this to the next level and be able to access it everywhere. I need to be able to get to it on Android and write access would be nice but not necessary. I've been googling around and all I've been able to gather is that smb is a bad idea. What would be the best way to go about making this happen?
Use the filezilla ftp server, setup the port you want to use and the password and configure everything accordingly. (I can help)

And then setup port forwarding on your router.

Then install "Turbo Ftp Client" from the google play store.
Set it up with the external ip address of your network and the port that you forwarded on your router.

And bam, you could access anywhere.
Google is your friend, but if you've searched and read about the stuff listed above, I will be glad to help guide you.
No need to download the whole android sdk or put adb in your path anymore!
Just extract my tool and run the adbClientLaunch script.
To get started go here >
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...ight=adbclient
My name is Jacob Lane but I prefer to go by Lgrootnoob. (You may also know me as Faelo the music producer)

What have I created? See here:

adbClient
Lg Lucid 2 root and other random contributions to the forums here