Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,732,479 Members 48,267 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Good news for Droid Maxx

Tip us?

pujdo1
Old
Thanks Meter 7
could it be possible, that verizon relocks the bootloaders of unlocked devices ?
i think this isnt possible, but i am not sure. and i think we would rather get android 4.4.2 and maybe sometime later 4.4.3 than direct 4.4.3

akellar
Old
Thanks Meter 1753
Quote:
Originally Posted by pujdo1 View Post
could it be possible, that verizon relocks the bootloaders of unlocked devices ?
i think this isnt possible, but i am not sure. and i think we would rather get android 4.4.2 and maybe sometime later 4.4.3 than direct 4.4.3
No, and why would we rather not get the latest update?
Please note, I do not do ROM support via PM. If you have a question, ask in the device thread. Thanks.

kanagadeepan
Old
Thanks Meter 21
^^^^
I don't think BigRed will take huge steps to control those hundred users' phone among the many many thousands sold by them. Am sure, they know that its not worth the pain...
The Following User Says Thank You to kanagadeepan For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

doogald
Old
Thanks Meter 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by pujdo1 View Post
and i think we would rather get android 4.4.2 and maybe sometime later 4.4.3 than direct 4.4.3
Based on the last communication from Motorola on Google+, I expect it's either 4.4.3 or they will have 4.4.2 with anything changed in 4.4.3 patched in. I don't think they will go through the PITA (for them) of doing two separate updates.

See https://plus.google.com/+PunitSoni/posts/Ukc61bfdYTz - scroll down a bit to see David Schuster say:

Quote:
For those that have been expressing their frustration and asking about the timing for the DROID Ultra and Maxx 4.4.2 upgrade. We are also frustrated. There have been some late requirement changes that have generated some unforeseen delays. We are actively working on getting you the upgrade as quickly as we can, however, it will still be a number of weeks before it is ready. Very sorry for the delays.
and:

Quote:
You will get white icons and with respect to 4.4.2 vs 4.4.3..... don't worry about that we got you covered on that one.... trust me
In a separate thread, Schuster hinted that the 2012 Droids (The Razr HD and Razr M) were getting KitKat updates in a week or two, so I suspect that Moto is planning to do those devices and then ours. I guess we'll see.

kanagadeepan
Old
Thanks Meter 21
I can guess RazrHD series will get 4.4.2 with bug fixes (heart bleed vulnerability) and we may directly get 4.4.3 in future... Just a wild guess...

reggie14
Old
Thanks Meter 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by doogald View Post
In a separate thread, Schuster hinted that the 2012 Droids (The Razr HD and Razr M) were getting KitKat updates in a week or two, so I suspect that Moto is planning to do those devices and then ours. I guess we'll see.
Its likely true that the Droid Razr series will get their updates first, but I doubt that's responsible for much of our delay.

Schuster previously said the last-minute changes are network related. My guess is Motorola had to put the Droids back through FCC testing.

I'm not overly concerned. Network changes happen. If this is really changes on the baseband, I'm fine with the delay. But I'll be pretty pissed if "network" changes really means Verizon just wants to muck with the Android build or add bloat.

doogald
Old
Thanks Meter 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by reggie14 View Post
Its likely true that the Droid Razr series will get their updates first, but I doubt that's responsible for much of our delay.
Yeah, I don't think that's why, but I do think that Motorola is only going to run an OTA for one platform at a time. They're not going to update the 2012 Droids and the 2013 Droids at the same time. Especially after what happened with the last ota we had - can you imagine having to support a huge bricking problem on two different sets of otas at the same time?

I'm just going on the wording from Schuster that the 2012 Droid updates are a couple of weeks away and the 2013 Droid update is coming a number of weeks away.a

Jimmy8881
Old
(Last edited by Jimmy8881; 6th May 2014 at 01:29 AM.)
Thanks Meter 5