Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,739,962 Members 39,491 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Samsung Galaxy S 5 unlocked but region locked and triple sim adapter is blocked

Tip us?

bubblesmoney
Old
(Last edited by bubblesmoney; 24th April 2014 at 07:21 PM.) Reason: edit
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 135
Default Samsung Galaxy S 5 unlocked but region locked and triple sim adapter is blocked

Just a word of warning for potential buyers that the region locking on the Samsung galaxy S5 is different to that on my Note 3. My note 3 is unlocked and can use different sims and software update without issues.

But had a Samsung Galaxy S5 for more than a week, got it before UK official launch as it was a Korean model 32GB LTE snapdragon version, it was unlocked and was able to use several different sims from various UK networks but couldnt software update as phone would keep asking for SKT (south korea telecom) sim for software update even though would work with other UK sims for calls data and text for more than a week of me using phone. worked fine for streaming thousands of songs via google music and deezer and calls and texts but no luck with software update. see alert shown by phone on attempting to do software update https://plus.google.com/108877366358...ts/X38mPrxYHmf

wireless charging worked fine though with Qi insert as shown on my youtueb uploads for the S5 which can be seen from my tagline below

Just a heads up to people wanting to import a Samsung galaxy S5 from abroad that their region locking is getting worse with every new phone.

Dont have the S5 anymore and wont be buying a samsung phone again..... due to region locking blocking features... like fingerprint scanner use in ebay app in the UK even though unlocked phone and also samsung has blocked use of triple sim adapters as it has blocked the loading of sim app need for triple sim adapters to work. The same adapters work fine on my s4 and note 3. The adapter was inserted correctly as my main sim works through the adapter but cant access the extra sims as samsung has blocked the sim app from launching on the S5 but works fine on S4 and note 3 and other phones.
android devices / accessories / apps / tips ... among other things that interest me can be seen on these videos or youtube playlists ...
my video uploads https://www.youtube.com/user/veryannoyingname/videos
my play lists http://www.youtube.com/user/veryanno...ow=grid&view=1

risestar2
Old
Thanks Meter 12
Not sure about internationally, however North America region lock seems to be disabled if you first activate with the carrier that the phone was built for and then unlock. If you just buy a phone from a carrier that has it region locked and you never activate it with them, you will have issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubblesmoney View Post
Just a word of warning for potential buyers that the region locking on the Samsung galaxy S5 is different to that on my Note 3. My note 3 is unlocked and can use different sims and software update without issues.

But had a Samsung Galaxy S5 for more than a week, got it before UK official launch as it was a Korean model 32GB LTE snapdragon version, it was unlocked and was able to use several different sims from various UK networks but couldnt software update as phone would keep asking for SKT (south korea telecom) sim for software update even though would work with other UK sims for calls data and text for more than a week of me using phone. worked fine for streaming thousands of songs via google music and deezer and calls and texts but no luck with software update. see alert shown by phone on attempting to do software update https://plus.google.com/108877366358...ts/X38mPrxYHmf

wireless charging worked fine though with Qi insert as shown on my youtueb uploads for the S5 which can be seen from my tagline below

Just a heads up to people wanting to import a Samsung galaxy S5 from abroad that their region locking is getting worse with every new phone.

Dont have the S5 anymore and wont be buying a samsung phone again..... due to region locking blocking features... like fingerprint scanner use in ebay app in the UK even though unlocked phone and also samsung has blocked use of triple sim adapters as it has blocked the loading of sim app need for triple sim adapters to work. The same adapters work fine on my s4 and note 3. The adapter was inserted correctly as my main sim works through the adapter but cant access the extra sims as samsung has blocked the sim app from launching on the S5 but works fine on S4 and note 3 and other phones.

hemander
Old
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by risestar2 View Post
Not sure about internationally, however North America region lock seems to be disabled if you first activate with the carrier that the phone was built for and then unlock. If you just buy a phone from a carrier that has it region locked and you never activate it with them, you will have issues.
You have any way to unlock it with no issue in the future?

bubblesmoney
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by risestar2 View Post
The phone is already unlocked as I used different UK sims For more than a week. The region locking only becomes apparent when trying to software update the phone. The phone was on Kitkat but there was an update available but couldn't update due to the issue mentioned.
android devices / accessories / apps / tips ... among other things that interest me can be seen on these videos or youtube playlists ...

electric0ant
Old
Thanks Meter 66
If it is the international model (G900F) just flash it with the stock UK S5 rom.

jorge_moran_jams
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by electric0ant View Post
If it is the international model (G900F) just flash it with the stock UK S5 rom.
Do you know if it's possible to root and flash something else without having removed the region lock?

bubblesmoney
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 135
Dont have the phone anymore with me and think the person having it now is flashing cyanogen mod rom for this phone.

Dont think will be getting a samsung phone again as tired of the pr1ck5 at samsung p1ssing off paying customers with some locking cr4p or the other. Presently still have 3 other samsung phones (S4 note 3 and note 1) and many of my playlists on youtube have loads of samsung phone related. But really fed up with samsungs locking idiocy and will look to sony or LG from now on.

Hellscythe
Old
Thanks Meter 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by electric0ant View Post
I don't think the SK Telecom model is the same as the G900F.
I think Korea uses some different network brands.

---------- Post added at 09:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:31 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubblesmoney View Post
Dont have the phone anymore with me and think the person having it now is flashing cyanogen mod rom for this phone.

Dont think will be getting a samsung phone again as tired of the pr1ck5 at samsung p1ssing off paying customers with some locking cr4p or the other. Presently still have 3 other samsung phones (S4 note 3 and note 1) and many of my playlists on youtube have loads of samsung phone related. But really fed up with samsungs locking idiocy and will look to sony or LG from now on.
Don't look at Sony.
You will receive software updates like 7 months after the release of that android version.
My Xperia Z still doesn't have kitkat.

Tags
region lock, samsung galaxy s5, triple sim adapter