Post Reply

Awesome Box!

OP Thebobc

30th April 2014, 03:41 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 2
 
10 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2007
I have to say, I am a new fan of this box. I started down this path by getting a new Samsung smart TV. I ended up putting this on a wall with no cable outlet, so I used it only as a non cable unit. I enjoyed Netflix, HBO Go, Amazon Prime, etc...but I was annoyed by the things that were missing. I got a Roku, and liked it, but still could only put on it what Roku wanted me to. Last week, I got my Fire TV, and thus far, I have successfully installed and or side loaded HBO Go, Max Go, Starz Play, Encore Play, Showtime Anytime, Xfinity Go, Firefox, Chrome, and the list continues to grow. For a tinkering kind of guy like me, this is perfect, far better than Roku, Apple TV, etc. If you are thinking about it, go for it!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Thebobc For This Useful Post: [ View ]
5th May 2014, 01:41 PM   |  #2  
fredphoesh's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 59
 
793 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebobc

I have to say, I am a new fan of this box. I started down this path by getting a new Samsung smart TV. I ended up putting this on a wall with no cable outlet, so I used it only as a non cable unit. I enjoyed Netflix, HBO Go, Amazon Prime, etc...but I was annoyed by the things that were missing. I got a Roku, and liked it, but still could only put on it what Roku wanted me to. Last week, I got my Fire TV, and thus far, I have successfully installed and or side loaded HBO Go, Max Go, Starz Play, Encore Play, Showtime Anytime, Xfinity Go, Firefox, Chrome, and the list continues to grow. For a tinkering kind of guy like me, this is perfect, far better than Roku, Apple TV, etc. If you are thinking about it, go for it!

Tempting, but

no spotify,
no google play store (so all the apps I have bought for my phone I cannot get on this box for free)
no root, so cant install apk easily

I am looking at THIS TRONSMART S89 - supposedly does 4k too... and is much faster than firetv. The only negative is you cant do Amazon Prime as amazon have blocked that for Android (surprise surprise!) In the UK Prime is using Silverlight.
5th May 2014, 07:08 PM   |  #3  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 67
 
250 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredphoesh

Tempting, but

no spotify,
no google play store (so all the apps I have bought for my phone I cannot get on this box for free)
no root, so cant install apk easily

I am looking at THIS TRONSMART S89 - supposedly does 4k too... and is much faster than firetv. The only negative is you cant do Amazon Prime as amazon have blocked that for Android (surprise surprise!) In the UK Prime is using Silverlight.

Spotify is working, but does require a air mouse or keyboard for now.
Sideload, sideload, sideload.
Apks install as easy as pie "adb install xxxxx.apk"
5th May 2014, 08:16 PM   |  #4  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 2
 
10 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2007
Actually, any app you have on a rooted phone, you can send yourself the apk and sideload to the Fire TV (I use Root Explorer). As to whether they work or not...it is a try and see thing.
6th May 2014, 12:04 AM   |  #5  
perknite's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 104
 
536 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2010
More
I'm really loving this device as well! I will say that it is really catered to those who have bought into the Amazon ecosystem (like me, who has prime and purchases all of my music from Amazon mp3 store... plus I have a slew of apps I've purchased from the Amazon app store over time). I have two of them now and was able to successfully sideload and run Amazon MP3 on one. I'm looking forward to future updates and expansions of the app store.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to perknite For This Useful Post: [ View ]
6th May 2014, 12:49 AM   |  #6  
Member
Thanks Meter: 13
 
78 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by perknite

I'm really loving this device as well! I will say that it is really catered to those who have bought into the Amazon ecosystem (like me, who has prime and purchases all of my music from Amazon mp3 store... plus I have a slew of apps I've purchased from the Amazon app store over time). I have two of them now and was able to successfully sideload and run Amazon MP3 on one. I'm looking forward to future updates and expansions of the app store.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Exactly this. The Fire TV is fantastic for people like myself that are invested in the, as you called it, Amazon ecosystem. I'm looking forward to watching "The Sopranos" again once the old HBO content comes to Prime.

As for app selection, you can sideload most anything you'd like. There are orientation issues with some apps that are easily fixable.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Top Threads in Fire TV General by ThreadRank