Default HTPC setup using only Android, need critique of setup I have in mind.

So I herd bad stories about these Android TV sticks, they are buggy, have performance issues and come with crappy control apps.

I am wanting to go for the following setup and it appears also more flexible, except I am not sure how good an experience I can expect.

Basically I want to do the following:

TV + PTV 3000 Miracast dongle

Nexus 7 2013 + Dock (Nexus will stand horizontally) plugged into charger.

This sounds good to me because I can get a Nexus 7 second hand for very little money, I know its a solid and supported Android device and it will double up as a tablet anytime I pull it out of the dock. I also don't need a webcam as the dock with tablet will stand on the coffee table.

However I have some questions:

- Can I install some sort of app/autorun or make a shortcut icon for the Nexus to attempt to connect automatically to the miracast dongle.

- I herd with miracast I can't switch off the Nexus 7 screen as it will kill the TV image as well. Is there an app/mode that would suppress that default ? Perhaps getting some DLNA dongle would be better ?

- I m wishing there's an app that can run whilst miracast mirroring is on, but this app is a controller app (Like keyboard and or trackpad) and the app itself does not get cloned onto the TV ! That would be awesome.

- In general will it suffice for watching HD movies without lag ? Not after gaming.