Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,786,442 Members 40,099 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Black wallpaper on Kindle Fire

Tip us?

wine_00
Old
(Last edited by wine_00; 22nd April 2014 at 10:33 AM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by stunts513 View Post
Ah I see why the fix isn't working, its something to do with when it when it retrieved the framework-res.apk, or something of that nature because the file couldn't be found when it attempted to decompile.

To answer your questions about a custom ROM, I prefer stock cm personally, latest version is cm 11. I don't know too much about what's possible with the amazon market on the non amazon is. I think you can still read books, but forget about amazon prime movies and such. I'll check what the amazon app can do in a sec and edit the post. I personally son,t own any books on amazon market so I can't personally test if I can read them, I mainly read manga on my kindle with the pocket manga app. The process to install a custom ROM is safe if you follow the instructions and check things like the md5sum of the bootloader ahead of time and such, but it is possible to hard brick this device. Main point, you probably wouldn't hard brick the device, as long as you check the bootloader's md5sum before flashing it the worst you can do is soft brick it and that's fixable with a fastboot cable. The process is fairly easy and automated if you use the fire flash app.

Edit: OK so I think you can use the amazon app, I can neither confirm nor deny because my amazon kindle app is crashing at launch. I think it works on cm 11 though, I'm still on cm 10.1 because of I'm still having to figure out a way to keep my tablet ui when going to cm 11. Someone might post if they can use it or not because I am unsure. You can always flash back to amazon os, so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire HD using Tapatalk
Ok thanks for your responses!
I'll install CM11. But, Must I really buy this cable? http://shop.teamblackhat.info/Factor...s-motadapt.htm
I don't have, juste the original cable and sector in the kindle's box.

On this video, he don't use special cable: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVuvR-hHOLE#t=14
is this proccess is safe? I guess, but I prefer ask you before make a mistake^^

stunts513
Old
(Last edited by stunts513; 22nd April 2014 at 11:42 AM.)
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 606

DONATE TO ME
OK I haven't clicked the link yet but I don't tend to use video tutorials, there have been a few hard bricks from people downgrading to a incompatible bootloader. You don't need a fastboot cable/adapter unless you brick it. Lemme grab a link for you. And I will check the video out to make sure its the right one while I'm at it.

Edit: OK well that seems to be the right video, personally I prefer this tutorial: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2271909

Its pretty simple, and you don't have to verify the md5sum when downgrading the bootloadernsinc exit includes the file and I assume checks this itself. Only major steps I recommend are put the ROM and gapps on the sdcard ahead of time in case of a boot loop into twrp, and make sure you check the box off with red text around it warning about the bootloader needing to be downgraded. If you don't check the box that downgrades the bootloader then you are going to need a fastboot cable to fix the red screen brick that will result. Oh and another thing, the IMG link has not been updated yet to the twrp 2.7 build which is the latest, so when it says to grab twrp from that page, instead go here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2218796
Once you go there download the zip and extract the img file from it and use it instead.

My Wallpaper Fix for KF2, KFHD 7", and KFHD 8.9" is HERE
Please Read the instructions and use the debugger if you run into errors.
My own modified adb drivers for just about all kindles (includes old twrp and cm versions) HERE
Tablet UI Patch for latest CM10.1 build HERE!

Please send complaints to /dev/null

wine_00
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
OK I haven't clicked the link yet but I don't tend to use video tutorials, there have been a few hard bricks from people downgrading to a incompatible bootloader. You don't need a fastboot cable/adapter unless you brick it. Lemme grab a link for you. And I will check the video out to make sure its the right one while I'm at it.

Ok, thanks a lot for your help. It's very appreciated!
So I wait your link for the good process to be sure everything will be ok.

stunts513
Old
(Last edited by stunts513; 22nd April 2014 at 11:45 AM.)
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 606

DONATE TO ME
Updated post ^^

I kinda put more into that post than I thought I would. I for some reason can't stand YouTube. I mean its great on occasion but I think I grew to dislike it from people constantly sending me instant messages with YouTube links back in the day, annoyed me so much that I grew to dislike it... Kinda funny if I think of it that way.

My Wallpaper Fix for KF2, KFHD 7", and KFHD 8.9" is HERE
Please Read the instructions and use the debugger if you run into errors.
My own modified adb drivers for just about all kindles (includes old twrp and cm versions) HERE
Tablet UI Patch for latest CM10.1 build HERE!

Please send complaints to /dev/null

wine_00
Old
(Last edited by wine_00; 22nd April 2014 at 06:31 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Updated post ^^

I kinda put more into that post than I thought I would. I for some reason can't stand YouTube. I mean its great on occasion but I think I grew to dislike it from people constantly sending me instant messages with YouTube links back in the day, annoyed me so much that I grew to dislike it... Kinda funny if I think of it that way.

Ok, I'll follow the tuto wich you gave me in link.
But, in the introduction, Seokhun wrote:

Quote:
++Note: As of December 2013, Hashcode updated the freedom-boot.img to Amazon 7.4.6 so there should be no more bootloops or any other issues like that for those running 7.4.6 or lower, but to be safe, revert back regardless. If your tablet is running anything higher than 7.4.6, you will run into issues when completing the guide. Again, if you revert back to 7.2.3 like I pointed to above, then you will have no issues. If you didn't revert, always make sure your tablet is running the same or lower version than Hashcode's freedom-boot.img.
My kindle is on version 7.4.8. Is there a problem with that?

EDIT: ok I confirm, the tuto is very clear and easy to follow step by step.
I've been very careful and I've follow the written tuto with the video tuto in the same time to read and watch step by step to do no mistake, and It's perfect. Everything works perfectly!
CM11 is installed, no problem!

Thanks a lot for your help stunts, without you, I'll still be in the sand...
Great forum and great community!

Edit2 : Amazon store, apps, books, everything works perfectly... awesome!!

slixz85
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Lightbulb quicker fix

if u just want an easy way to wallpaper, then install vire launcher. i use it and it is nice. it could use more features but itll come along. i also ran into another launcher or 2 that also allowed wallpapers but cant remember the names offhand. i too never got the wallpaper fix to work for my kindle as well. 3rd gen KFSOWI. waiting for unlocked bootloader or whatever lol.