Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,781,370 Members 37,200 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Cell data cuts out after a couple minutes of use; recently acquired galaxy s relay

Tip us?

amaskedman
Old
(Last edited by amaskedman; 3rd May 2014 at 09:13 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Cell data cuts out after a couple minutes of use; recently acquired galaxy s relay

Hello all, I've recently acquired the galaxy s relay and I really like this phone, but I'm having an unfortunate issue with the data connection.

When I use the cell data for a minute or two, it'll cut out for over 40 seconds. I am unable to use the data in any way shape or form during this time. It just displays a green up arrow, like it's unable to receive any data. This is the only visual indication that this bug is taking effect, besides the internet not working of course.

It still displays that it is getting a signal, and phone and messaging functions still seem to work fine while the bug is taking effect.

Does anyone know how to possibly diagnose or possibly fix this issue? I've tried stock firmware, hypnotoad firmware, and the older LJ1 modem described here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2262750 and as far as I know this problem has existed since I've first turned the phone on and I don't know how to fix it.

amaskedman
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Hey all..
This is peculiar, but for some reason, when I force my galaxy s relay to use the 1900mhz band only via the service menu, it works perfectly! Set it to 1700mhz? Cuts out and slow, just like before. Much faster speeds (7x what I was getting without forcing 1900mhz), and the data doesn't cut out at all!!

This would be fine, but here's the problem: I'm fairly certain that the phone will not be able to use 1700 or even EDGE if 1900mhz data is not available, as using the "band preference" option in the servicemenu forces it to wcdma ONLY (how is that a preference??)

Is there any way to get the phone to use EDGE as well if 1900mhz data isn't available?

Or, would anyone know why exactly 1700mhz would function so horrendously on the phone while 1900mhz works perfectly?
(When using a different phone with 1700mhz function only, that works fine too, doesn't cut out)