Can anyone comment on how sony is with software updates?

6th May 2014, 12:53 AM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 2

49 posts
Hey guys,
I'm ready to pull the trigger on a phone but worried about software updates, I just checked and the z which came out just a year ago is still only on android 4.3 where as the one is on 4.4.2 and will be getting 4.4.3. This is currently the dilemma I face between the one m8 and the z2. I prefer the z2 in various ways as well as the m8 in various ways but the deal breaker for me will be software updates and htc seems really committed to provide quick updates. Can anyone comment on this?
6th May 2014, 06:13 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 384

810 posts
More
Personally, I don't care much about the Android version updates. The Xperia Z works extremely well under 4.3 and there's actually no real need to update to 4.4.2, in my view. I have the Xperia Z1 as well, and recently updated to 4.4.2 but it actually worked well under 4.3 and I don't really see that significant an improvement after the update to KitKat. I would be more concerned with the updates that fix bugs (but still under same Android version) as these would improve overall performance and squash issues.

Notwithstanding the above, Sony do tend to roll out the latest Android version to the latest devices first (e.g. Xperia Z1 before Xperia Z). But they do commit themselves to doing so for devices that are less than 2 years old. For example, KitKat is planned to rollout to Xperia Z this month.
6th May 2014, 08:27 AM   |  #3  
Recognized Developer
Flag Noida
Thanks Meter: 38,470

13,069 posts
till about end of 2012, Sony has been poor at updating their flagships...

but the last two flagships have received good regular updates...

this is Xperia Z (H1 2013):
http://www.sonymobile.com/global-en/...ones/xperia-z/

this is Xperia Z1 (H2 2013):
http://www.sonymobile.com/global-en/...ones/xperia-z1

so almost every quarter they update the Flagship to the newest available Android OS
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread