Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] Qi Wireless Charger Card for S5 - Phone Stays Awake Forever

OP farmersride

3rd May 2014, 05:44 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1

5 posts
I just purchased a generic Qi wireless charger receiver card and transmitter for the S5. I can't post the link because of new member rules.

The charger works well but when the battery reaches 100% full the phone stops charging. According to the Qi standard there is no provision or method for a 'trickle charge' used by all the traditional wall chargers (I can't post the link to this either because of new member rules). What Qi does instead is turn the charger on and off periodically to keep the battery at 100% - this process is supposed to be managed in the background operations of the phone.

With the S5 ever few seconds the screen turns on, a charger connected sound is played, and then the charger turns off and the screen turns off THIS REPEATS FOREVER. The phone gets quite hot and it's terribly annoying. This happens even if the phone is turned off. I'm not sure it even has anything to do with the trickle charge process - seems like its stuck in a loop. Qi transmitter detects a Qi enabled device and begins pumping power. Qi device produces 5.3v (or something similar), phone sees input voltage and turns on to notify user of charging, and charging stops almost immediately because the battery is full (repeat, repeat, repeat...).

Is there anything in the settings or using apps that would fix this problem? Does anyone know if the samsung brand S cover (charging cover) has some extra provision that prevents this annoying problem?
6th May 2014, 10:05 AM   |  #2  
Flag New Hampshire
Thanks Meter: 328

772 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmersride

I just purchased a generic Qi wireless charger receiver card and transmitter for the S5. I can't post the link because of new member rules.

The charger works well but when the battery reaches 100% full the phone stops charging. According to the Qi standard there is no provision or method for a 'trickle charge' used by all the traditional wall chargers (I can't post the link to this either because of new member rules). What Qi does instead is turn the charger on and off periodically to keep the battery at 100% - this process is supposed to be managed in the background operations of the phone.

With the S5 ever few seconds the screen turns on, a charger connected sound is played, and then the charger turns off and the screen turns off THIS REPEATS FOREVER. The phone gets quite hot and it's terribly annoying. This happens even if the phone is turned off. I'm not sure it even has anything to do with the trickle charge process - seems like its stuck in a loop. Qi transmitter detects a Qi enabled device and begins pumping power. Qi device produces 5.3v (or something similar), phone sees input voltage and turns on to notify user of charging, and charging stops almost immediately because the battery is full (repeat, repeat, repeat...).

Is there anything in the settings or using apps that would fix this problem? Does anyone know if the samsung brand S cover (charging cover) has some extra provision that prevents this annoying problem?

The real question is, why are you keeping it on the charger once it's 100% charged? At that point just remove it and continue about with your day
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread