Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,807,727 Members 52,262 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Connect as usb drive, with drive letter in Explorer

Tip us?

Mike Austin
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default [Q] Connect as usb drive, with drive letter in Explorer

When I connect my T325 to Win7 via usb, I see 'Galaxy Tab' with subfolders 'Card' and 'Tablet' in Explorer. Is there any way to get drive letters for these? From what I have read here for other devices, this does not seem to be possible.
Also, how do I get to Storage Settings > USB PC connections? It is not on the menu. I can only get there via the notification dropdown after I have connected the USB.
Device 1: Sony Xperia Z, Android 4.4.2 rooted
Device 2: Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.4 LTE, Android 4.4.2 rooted

Wotta
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Austin View Post
When I connect my T325 to Win7 via usb, I see 'Galaxy Tab' with subfolders 'Card' and 'Tablet' in Explorer. Is there any way to get drive letters for these? From what I have read here for other devices, this does not seem to be possible.
Also, how do I get to Storage Settings > USB PC connections? It is not on the menu. I can only get there via the notification dropdown after I have connected the USB.
Yeah, you can't. It's MTP, not USB Mass Storage, so no drive-level (cluster-support) access. No drive letters. Possibly you could create a symlink (but not a junction or hard link) for a directory; would that be sufficient?

Mike Austin
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotta View Post
Yeah, you can't. It's MTP, not USB Mass Storage, so no drive-level (cluster-support) access. No drive letters. Possibly you could create a symlink (but not a junction or hard link) for a directory; would that be sufficient?
I doubt it. I would really like to be able to use FreeFileSync on my PC, and some batch files, for three-way backing up desktop -> laptop -> notepad. The nearest I can get to this is with an OTG usb drive and an Android app for folder sync.

phage80
Old
Thanks Meter 8
I use PureSync for that actually, it supports mtp devices.

Mike Austin
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by phage80 View Post
I use PureSync for that actually, it supports mtp devices.
Thanks. I am having a go with that, but I am having problems with it hanging and not finding files. I will tinker with it a little longer.
Tags
usb drive explorer