Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,728,773 Members 52,056 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Unable to get RUU 3.18

Tip us?

makemyday212
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmaaa View Post
Ok, but it doesn't state anywhere that you can flash an OTA on its own. Or that you flash an OTA via fastboot. My point being that trying things that aren't documented (and without knowledge of what you're doing) almost always lead to someone bricking their phone, and then that person realising after the fact that they shouldn't have been trying those things without proper knowledge. There are two ways to learn, one is slow and takes a lot of work, the other is very fast and expensive. I'm trying to save you from the latter.

Anyway, back to your main issue. You actually didn't state anywhere in your OP that you were running the RUU as an administrator, that's why I asked. Are you sure that the RUU fully downloaded correctly? Does the program even start up? Or are you greeted with errors as soon as you try to open it? What's the file size?

Sent from my Evita
Well I appreciate you looking out, and after reading through a lot of the threads on here I know you are more versed in the technical aspects of this than I. I'm sure you have to deal with that a lot on here, but just so we are both on the same page, that isn't the case in this situation. My phone is still fine, I'm just trying to figure out why this won't work.

As for the main issue, I'm apologize, you are correct. I didn't state that in my main post. It was in response to another user. I can't say I'm 100% sure because i haven't checked, but I have downloaded the same file from about 3 different locations on this forum and have tried each multiple times with the same results. The file name is "RUU_EVITA_UL_JB_45_S_Cingular_US_3.18.502.6_Radio _0.24p.32.09.06_10.130.32.34_release_signed_With_P artial.exe". The file size of all 3 of them are 79.4MB. Just for some extra information, I've also tried the 5.18 RUU exe file which is 621 MB file name is "HTC_One_X_RUU_5.18.502.1.exe." I have only downloaded that file from one source and only one time so I can't verify against another file size on that. Although that file returns the same error message as the others. Do you think I could have corrupted downloads?

And again I appreciate the help. I'm sorry if it seems I'm over-explaining things. I just want to give any possible information that could be relevant to the issue.

makemyday212
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
After doing a little more looking on the size of the files, I have discovered that for whatever reason, my google chrome browser was not fully downloading the file no matter what source I was downloading from. I downloaded the file using IE from a link you provided in another thread (which I tried on chrome but did not complete fully) and now have the full file downloaded. I am currently running the RUU on my computer and the process seems to be going smoothly. Thanks for the heads up on that, something so simple that I didn't even consider due to having downloaded the same file multiple times from different sources and didn't even begin to suspect my web browser. Haha. I will reply here again with the results after I've tried flashing the ROM to my phone. Thanks again for the input timmaaa!

timmaaa
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 5287

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by makemyday212 View Post
Well I appreciate you looking out, and after reading through a lot of the threads on here I know you are more versed in the technical aspects of this than I. I'm sure you have to deal with that a lot on here, but just so we are both on the same page, that isn't the case in this situation. My phone is still fine, I'm just trying to figure out why this won't work.
I wasn't really talking about what you're specifically doing right now, I meant trying things without a proper knowledge of them in general. Continue doing that and the chances of a brick happening are fairly high.

Sent from my Evita

---------- Post added at 02:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:42 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by makemyday212 View Post
After doing a little more looking on the size of the files, I have discovered that for whatever reason, my google chrome browser was not fully downloading the file no matter what source I was downloading from. I downloaded the file using IE from a link you provided in another thread (which I tried on chrome but did not complete fully) and now have the full file downloaded. I am currently running the RUU on my computer and the process seems to be going smoothly. Thanks for the heads up on that, something so simple that I didn't even consider due to having downloaded the same file multiple times from different sources and didn't even begin to suspect my web browser. Haha. I will reply here again with the results after I've tried flashing the ROM to my phone. Thanks again for the input timmaaa!
Chrome can be a bit funny like that sometimes, especially when you're downloading exe files, it automatically flags them as dangerous and screws the download. You can recover the file through the Chrome download menu I think. Anyway, it looks like you're probably sorted out now though which is great, let us know about your progress and feel free to ask any questions if you're not sure about something. There are some really valuable links in my signature too.

Sent from my Evita
HTC Evita | CandyKat | Torched KK
S-off | 2.18 | TWRP 2.7.1.0
Do not PM me asking for assistance, that's what my Q&A thread is for!

makemyday212
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmaaa View Post
I wasn't really talking about what you're specifically doing right now, I meant trying things without a proper knowledge of them in general. Continue doing that and the chances of a brick happening are fairly high.

Sent from my Evita

---------- Post added at 02:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:42 PM ----------

Chrome can be a bit funny like that sometimes, especially when you're downloading exe files, it automatically flags them as dangerous and screws the download. You can recover the file through the Chrome download menu I think. Anyway, it looks like you're probably sorted out now though which is great, let us know about your progress and feel free to ask any questions if you're not sure about something. There are some really valuable links in my signature too.

Sent from my Evita
Yeah it's all gravy. I've got CM 11 installed and running on here just fine. Thanks for all the help!

timmaaa
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 5287

DONATE TO ME
Cool beans.

Sent from my Evita

chrisb906
Old
Thanks Meter 115
Thanks button working?

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

timmaaa
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 5287

DONATE TO ME
He did thank the post that pointed him in the right direction.

Sent from my Evita

chrisb906
Old
Thanks Meter 115
Lol. Okay

timmaaa
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 5287

DONATE TO ME
Lol to what? There's one post in this thread that provided the answer, and he thanked it.

Sent from my Evita

chrisb906
Old
Thanks Meter 115
Lol to myself for not seeing it. Wth