Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,730,629 Members 41,290 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] MHL 1080p output

Tip us?

nOrbX187
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 8
Default [Q] MHL 1080p output

Another MHL question from me.

Does the XZU support 1080p output over MHL? I have a feeling before the KitKat update that it did. With KitKat update, when I plug in the MHL to my monitor, the monitor reports a 720p signal. There was another post where someone stated you can change the resolution settings but I don't seem to have that.

mr.joshuanice
Old
Thanks Meter 9
I use mine with mhl latest kk build and it's 1080p I don't know where you can change the resolution. The only thing that bothers me is that the mhl 1 standard that the zu uses only supports 30hz

Sent from my C6833 using xda app-developers app

nOrbX187
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 8
Thanks for the info. I tried two MHL adapters on two different monitors and both report 720p though I know these monitors will support 1080p through HDMI as I get that resolution when plugging in a monitor. Maybe something weird with the HDCP handshake? I'll try on my HDTV when I get home. Hopefully I don't have to go questing for a different MHL adapter (had to go through three to find one that would charge my phone while using HDMI out).

mr.joshuanice
Old
Thanks Meter 9
I have one that it charges my phone directly from the TV but the TV has one hdmi with mhl built in. If you use one that you needs 5v from charger or USB you should try the I9100(S3) mhl dongle works perfectly with our zu

---------- Post added at 03:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:00 AM ----------

My bad the I9100 is S2 the S3 mhl does not work it's a different dongle

harisled
Old
Thanks Meter 6
Yes, same thing happens to me as well.
I bought this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/321336887491 and the output is 720p 60hz.
The image is blurry and it is very annoying

If I remember correctly same thing has happened both in 4.3 and in 4.4 (rooted locked bootloader)

nOrbX187
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 8
Hi harisled, I haven't tried it on my HT setup yet but I think I know why it is not working (at least for me) on my computer monitors. I had forgotten that the MHL 1.0 spec only allows 1080p @ 30Hz until mr.joshuanice had mentioned it. The two monitors I tried it on initially are computer monitors so they probably don't support 1080p @ 30Hz. I'm guessing the HDCP handshake (or whatever it is called) reduced the resolution to 720p @ 60Hz which is supported by my monitor. However, this causes the monitor to upscale causing the image to be blurry (like you have experienced).

I will test it on my HT this weekend which should work (I remembered testing this out a while ago). The only thing that sucks is playing games @ 1080p. As some have experienced, playing PS Mobile games at 1080p resolution makes the game really sluggish (@ 720p is great). I remembered someone had show a screenshot of a menu which allowed you to change the resolution but it may have been a different Sony phone or a different ROM.

harisled
Old
Thanks Meter 6
You are right, it did output 1080p 30hz on a tv

fnf
Old
Thanks Meter 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.joshuanice View Post
I use mine with mhl latest kk build and it's 1080p I don't know where you can change the resolution. The only thing that bothers me is that the mhl 1 standard that the zu uses only supports 30hz

Quote:
Originally Posted by harisled View Post
Yes, same thing happens to me as well.
I bought this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/321336887491 and the output is 720p 60hz.
The image is blurry and it is very annoying

If I remember correctly same thing has happened both in 4.3 and in 4.4 (rooted locked bootloader)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nOrbX187 View Post
Hi harisled, I haven't tried it on my HT setup yet but I think I know why it is not working (at least for me) on my computer monitors. I had forgotten that the MHL 1.0 spec only allows 1080p @ 30Hz until mr.joshuanice had mentioned it. The two monitors I tried it on initially are computer monitors so they probably don't support 1080p @ 30Hz. I'm guessing the HDCP handshake (or whatever it is called) reduced the resolution to 720p @ 60Hz which is supported by my monitor. However, this causes the monitor to upscale causing the image to be blurry (like you have experienced).

I will test it on my HT this weekend which should work (I remembered testing this out a while ago). The only thing that sucks is playing games @ 1080p. As some have experienced, playing PS Mobile games at 1080p resolution makes the game really sluggish (@ 720p is great). I remembered someone had show a screenshot of a menu which allowed you to change the resolution but it may have been a different Sony phone or a different ROM.
You can enforce the output format by dialing *#*#7378423#*#* then navigate to Service tests -> TV-Out Test -> Video format. Note that "Video format" will only be modifiable when the MHL cable is plugged in.

harisled
Old
Thanks Meter 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnf View Post
You can enforce the output format by dialing *#*#7378423#*#* then navigate to Service tests -> TV-Out Test -> Video format. Note that "Video format" will only be modifiable when the MHL cable is plugged in.

I tried that on my PC monitor but, as expected, nothing changed since the monitor does not support 1080p 30hz