Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,730,983 Members 46,098 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Screen goes black but still turned on...

Tip us?

greyspot
Old
(Last edited by greyspot; 3rd May 2014 at 04:24 PM.) Reason: Additional Info
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Phone Screen goes black but still turned on...

Hi all,

I've replaced my Atrix HD twice now under warranty for the same issue. This is my third Atrix HD. This last time, it was a few weeks out of warranty before it started up again, so AT&T would not replace it. Wonderful.

I love the Atrix HD, with the exception of the horrible squealing during video and audio recordings that I have yet to figure out, and the screen flaking out on me. I would have the phone for a few months completely without issue, then it would start acting up. The screen would turn off randomly, or so I thought at first. I've had this problem so much, I've worked out how to make it happen and to temporarily fix it.

If I sort of flex my phone back from the top left corner to the bottom right corner, the screen will stay on and work. However, if I flex it between the bottom left and top right corner, the screen goes off pretty much immediately, and since this issue has been exactly the same on the last 3 phones I've had, it makes me wonder if this is a manufacturer defect or something. The screen is black, but still reacts normally to touch (I can hear and feel the unlock screen, or if I pull up a piano app I can still play it, still shows when connected via HDMI, etc.

I'm pretty gentle with my phone, especially since the last two times I've had to replace it. I've never dropped it, even on carpet. I don't have a case or anything and I keep it in my pocket, but it stays in pristine condition. I don't even load a lot of apps on it.

I'm not sure what to do. It's obviously a hardware issue. I've opened it up and reseated the ribbon cables to no effect. I'm not really sure what else to check, but I had reservations about messing with the LCD/Digitizer too much. I don't want to break it and have no phone at all! Anyone else have this issue before? Any advice?

Thanks in advance,

greyspot

P.S. I'm in IT, so I'm comfortable taking things apart and troubleshooting. I've just done all I can think to do aside form replacing the LCD.

Dr. Orange
Old
(Last edited by Dr. Orange; 3rd May 2014 at 04:39 PM.)
Thanks Meter 54
I mean you could try replacing the LCD and digitizer and see what happens. I'm not sure how much they cost but if you really like our HD then it's probably worth it. Sounds like it's "fool me twice, shame on me" and you should get a different phone. I've had zero issues with mine even after installing the EB40 battery and cleaning dust from behind the glass and on the lcd. Maybe you're just unlucky?

People freak out about fixing the hardware but it's no bug deal at all. It's like slightly more functional and expensive Lego's.
Sent from my ATRIX HD using Tapatalk
Please visit the thread and comment about your day, what you're thinking about, or other things (keep it legal this time of course)
Motorola Bravo: PA 2.5.3
Matrix HD MAXX: PAC-MAN

greyspot
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
The last few replacements were free, not that I didn't want to try another phone. Maybe I'll try to replace the LCD, but at this point I might just buy another phone and move on. Frustrated. Anyone else encounter this issue before?

harsho1
Old
Thanks Meter 7
This seems to be the same problem I was having. In my post from the 30th.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...inop sometimes
Sent from my ATRIX HD using XDA Free mobile app

greyspot
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Weird that a battery mod would fix it. I think it's because the battery is a bit bigger, and pushes on whatever it is that is loose in our phones just right. Oh well, I've already given up. I may try to fix it after I get my new phone and keep it as backup, but I went ahead and got an Optimus G on Swappa. I just found out about Swappa. Liking it very much! Still haven't gotten the Optimus yet, but I've had the Optimus V on Virgin, and it was a very solid phone.

Oh well, thanks for the help from those that replied. I've seen this issue pop up on different forums as well, so I believe it is a common problem with the Atrix HD.