Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,811,934 Members 51,651 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Thread separation OF-7 and OF-7a

Tip us?

Entropy512
Old
Senior Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 24,370

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbarker2 View Post
Is the hardware in the OnePlus One and the Find 7 really that similar? Or was this said partly tongue-in-cheek?
It is.

Between OnePlus' relation with Oppo, the documented specifications, etc. - Pretty much every difference in the defconfigs/source for the two devices corresponds to the few documented differences in specs between the two devices.

The OnePlus One is a Find 7a with the following tweaks:
1) Nonremovable battery (kernel change: battery authentication disabled)
2) A PN65T instead of PN544 (kernel change: PN65 support in the NFC driver. The PN65 is pointless now that Google has sunsetted hardware SE support)
3) RGB LED instead of the blue-only Skyline (kernel change: different LED driver)
4) Left/right "mirror" reversal. (power button on right of OnePlus, left for F7a, etc.) Kernel change: none
5) MSM8974AC instead of MSM8974AB (kernel change: none, handled automatically at runtime)
*so much sig updating needed*

My Github profile - Some Android stuff, some AVR stuff

An excellent post on "noobs vs. developers"

A few opinions on kernel development "good practices"

Note: I have chosen not to use XDA's "friends" feature - I will reject all incoming "friend" requests.

Code:
<MikeyMike01> Smali is a spawn of hell
<shoman94> ^^^ +!
Code:
<Entropy512> gotta be careful not to step on each other's work.  :)
<Bumble-Bee> thats true
<jerdog> compeete for donations
The Following User Says Thank You to Entropy512 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

krabman
Old
Thanks Meter 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by farfromovin View Post
No way will the same ROM work with all 4 versions of the F7. Just between the 7/7A there's 2 different processors. Maybe that could be settled with just a different kernel but I doubt it.
Addel (product manager for oppo) just confirmed that the same 2.0 beta download can be installed on both 7 and 7a phones. It would seem that roms that don't include the baseband can be installed across the platform.

farfromovin
Old
Thanks Meter 382
Quote:
Originally Posted by krabman View Post
Addel (product manager for oppo) just confirmed that the same 2.0 beta download can be installed on both 7 and 7a phones. It would seem that roms that don't include the baseband can be installed across the platform.
I saw that and stand corrected. You gotta cut me a little slack, coming from a Samsung background where every single variant, along with basebands, cause huge issues. Glad to see it done simple from Oppo.
Tmobile Note 2- powered by XDA magic.

paperWastage
Old
(Last edited by paperWastage; 5th May 2014 at 10:14 PM.)
Thanks Meter 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by krabman View Post
could also be the software baseband compatible with both versions of the hardware modem

(nexus 5 US and int'l phones use the same software modem, though supporting different LTE bands)

http://forum.xda-developers.com/goog...s-efs-t2514095
Current Device:
Oppo Find 5 - experimental kernel

farfromovin
Old
Thanks Meter 382
Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropy512 View Post
It is.

Between OnePlus' relation with Oppo, the documented specifications, etc. - Pretty much every difference in the defconfigs/source for the two devices corresponds to the few documented differences in specs between the two devices.

The OnePlus One is a Find 7a with the following tweaks:
1) Nonremovable battery (kernel change: battery authentication disabled)
2) A PN65T instead of PN544 (kernel change: PN65 support in the NFC driver. The PN65 is pointless now that Google has sunsetted hardware SE support)
3) RGB LED instead of the blue-only Skyline (kernel change: different LED driver)
4) Left/right "mirror" reversal. (power button on right of OnePlus, left for F7a, etc.) Kernel change: none
5) MSM8974AC instead of MSM8974AB (kernel change: none, handled automatically at runtime)
So after things get rolling: Find7, Find7a, and OPO owners should be able to flash roms for all devices, followed up by the correct kernel?
Tmobile Note 2- powered by XDA magic.

MrColdbird
Old
Thanks Meter 317
Yes. That's pretty much the expected outcome.

Sent from my X9006 using Tapatalk

Entropy512
Old
Senior Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 24,370

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by farfromovin View Post
So after things get rolling: Find7, Find7a, and OPO owners should be able to flash roms for all devices, followed up by the correct kernel?
If we can't do a unified kernel, we'll be doing separate complete builds for both. But you could expect in that case we'll have something similar to the Samsung Galaxy S2 family, where the I9100, I777, and N7000 all inherit a "common" device tree that contains 95%+ of the stuff for each device.
*so much sig updating needed*

My Github profile - Some Android stuff, some AVR stuff

An excellent post on "noobs vs. developers"

A few opinions on kernel development "good practices"

Note: I have chosen not to use XDA's "friends" feature - I will reject all incoming "friend" requests.

Code:
<MikeyMike01> Smali is a spawn of hell
<shoman94> ^^^ +!
Code:
<Entropy512> gotta be careful not to step on each other's work.  :)
<Bumble-Bee> thats true
<jerdog> compeete for donations

The Following User Says Thank You to Entropy512 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]