Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,808,827 Members 51,605 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

2014 FLAGSHIP KILLER - OnePlus One

Tip us?
 
therealgiblet
Old
#31  
Member
Thanks Meter 8
Posts: 78
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowLea View Post
Not if you're using a decent case it doesn't. Or are you suggesting I cut off pieces of my 60 euro Otterbox to make room for this? Because it doesn't fit.
Not suggesting anything.

It's obvious that you need a phone with a Micro SD card.

If you want a suggestion then I'd suggest you don't buy this one.
The Following User Says Thank You to therealgiblet For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
LiquidSolstice
Old
(Last edited by LiquidSolstice; 1st May 2014 at 03:11 PM.)
#32  
LiquidSolstice's Avatar
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 4,448
Posts: 4,647
Join Date: Jan 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by zen123 View Post
Seeing as Oneplus is created by ex Oppo employee and the 32gb Oppo Find 5 I used to own only had a 2gb partition for app storage, even the new Find 7 only has a 3gb partition, I will get the 64gb version only if the full 64gb is available for apps storage.

These small partitions for app storage are totally useless in that a lot of apps nowadays can be 1gb+ in size so a small 2 or 3gb partition will be filled up pretty quickly. As an example on my Galaxy Note 3 my total apps have taken up 3.7gb.

Otherwise, this phone sounds like near perfect device for me.
That would be a terrible idea. Do you understand how Android data partitions work? If the entire 64GB was reserved solely for apps, you would have no room for pictures, music, images, movies, save data, logs, documents, nothing.

Ignoring the fact that if your apps (not including games) are totalling almost 4 gigs (also ignoring the fact that TouchWiz takes up a HUGE amount of space to begin with), it's clear that you need to look and see whether or not you really use every single app you have installed.

I highly doubt there are any apps that clock in at 1GB in size. Games, maybe, but not regular apps. And even then, large games do not install all their apps directly to the data partition. They grab a starter/main APK from the Play Store, and then they continue to download the rest to /data/media (as they should be doing if the developers have any clue what they're doing).


It appears I have read your post incorrectly, please excuse this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red5 View Post
Yeah, like people read the OP. Thats the best place to keep a secret on XDA.
 
LiquidSolstice
Old
#33  
LiquidSolstice's Avatar
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 4,448
Posts: 4,647
Join Date: Jan 2008
Oh man, so much ignorance. I'm sorry, I'm going to have to address this post and it is going to be a long reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowLea View Post
I honestly wouldn't know what the size of.. is that a quarter? is.

I don't see why I should have to pay extra for something other, both more expensive and cheaper, bigger and smaller phones have by default.

And that brings me to "Why should I have to carry an additional device when I could just as well store it inside the phone in a tiny slot that costs nothing to add?" It's a hole, why should I pay more for less device?
Then clearly your use case does not match this phone and you should focus on phones that do meet your use case instead of whining to the rest of us about how we're all wrong for not using our phones like you do.

Quote:
Believe me, I'm not the exception. I've a fair bit of insight into mobile sales, and having an expandable memory is still one of the main selling points of a great many well-selling smartphones. (All of Samung's Galaxy Note & S line, for one). (Admittedly, there are also a great many people too stupid to even know the difference between an SDcard and a SIMcard... "Can I store my apps on my SIMcard?" /facepalm)
No, you are still an exception. There are a lot of you who are exceptions only because there are a lot of Galaxy devices in the world. The SD card and removable battery is only a selling point to techies and people like you who frequent XDA. I have yet to ever meet anyone who owns and of the Galaxy phones who carries around spare batteries or jammed in a giant SD card. I see the phones every where, but not one single example of anyone changing the battery.

Quote:
On an average day, I get about 25 people asking me "Can I put more GB in it for my music?" In a country with 17 million people, that's a lot for one shop. Why do you think the Nexus devices aren't selling as much as the S4 and S5? Can't be the price. Even if you take away the marketing part of the sales. People don't want a device they can't expand.
The iPhone sells HUGE numbers all around the world as well, and has never had a removable battery or SD card, therefore your anecdote and your claims about why Samsung sales are so high are not with merit. Because if they were, I could turn around and infer that people buy iPhones because they DON'T have removable storage or batteries, but that wouldn't make an ounce of sense, would it? No, it wouldn't. You like the idea of SD storage and a removable battery, you see other comments on tech sites who also like them, therefore you have come to the conclusion that they are a "standard".

Quote:
Even if not for videos and music, how are you going to store photo's taken with a 16MP camera on a 16GB phone? Particularly one that has only 4-9GB available for use? Do you simply not have apps?
...do you even know how many pictures you can fit on 4-9GB? 8GB of storage at a 16MP resolution with full 100% quality JPEG compression is enough to store ~1,430 pictures (more or less depending on the content in the image). Are you telling me that you'll take more pictures than that between the times where you remove images from your device or you let them cloud upload and then clean them up? It is the norm to use cloud upload and it is the norm to take pictures only for temporary use such as social network sites and then just remove them (most people stop caring about their images unless they are of kids, private events, special occasions, or otherwise, because if they're worth sharing they're already either printed/framed or they're on a social network).

Normal Android users do not use hundreds of apps at a time. Forget games with their multi-gigabyte additional files; the average Android app (non-game) APK is roughly 7-12MB. If you simultaneously had 100 applications installed (which in itself is utterly bonkers and at the point where you can't remember what apps you have installed), that's 1.2GB of apps, call it 1.5GB of apps after they generate their various data files on storage. Still leaves plenty of space for music, podcasts, and video content.

Quote:
Not everyone has the data package or the signal strength to sync photos to cloud all the time. Try doing that on the, over here very common, 250MB data package. That's what, 15 photo's? We don't have unlimited data packages, and 3G isn't exactly covering more than 60% of the country. Plus we have borders every 200-500km! Do you lot realize what roaming costs? 2 euro per MB (Why do you think the HTC One has such a crappy low-megapixel camera? (and the iPhone))
...I have unlimited data, but I only let my images upload over Wifi because I want my bandwidth for my mobile use. Who uses their mobile data for camera upload!? That is a ridiculous idea.

The fact that you said the HTC One has a "such a crappy low-megapixel camera" and that you think the reason it has a "crappy low megapixel camera" is because of your country's terrible 3G coverage clearly tells all of us that you quite literally have no clue what you are talking about. . HTC did not build a phone that caters to your country's mobile infrastructure, and the idea that you think that it is shows either a level of fanaticism or just plain foolishness.

Quote:
Not to mention, take the 4K filming... 4K recording with only 9GB internal storage free? Good luck with that!
Again, you have no idea how video formats, containers, codecs, or compression works either. Using the current most popular 4K video compression, a minute of 4K video is roughly 350MB in side. It is HIGHLY doubtful that anyone would be recording a very long scene using a smartphone camera, much less doing it in 4K. Mobile video capture has always been for very short clips, because people taking the video don't have the patience to record for longer than a minute or two minutes, and people watching don't have the patience to sit through more than one or two minutes of amateur home video anyway. Would you honestly watch more than 3 minutes of someone's smartphone-recorded video? I mean, really?

But you know, reality...and stuff.

Quote:
I know how KitKat 'breaks' the SDcard. Except that it really doesn't.
Something you are actually correct about! You're right. KitKat did not "break" the SD card. The Android Open Source Project stopped any type of official support for exandable FAT32/exFAT based storage as of 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich. Every single implementation since then for external storage has been third-party. There are numerous reasons for this, and it's not all just about everyone's conspiracy that they want you to use their cloud services. Having a filesystem which uses FAT requires licensing from Microsoft, and is a security concern or a myriad of reasons. I suggest you read more into why KitKat specifically started to prevent apps from modifying data on a FAT-formatted SD card.

Quote:
Even if you're not rooted, most big apps have long since been altered to use the SDcard again.
And none of them (not even Google Play Music) use any sort of official implementation from Google to do so. It's all hacked together, and it always will be.

Quote:
That is of course completely ignoring the fact that the OnePlus comes with Cyanogenmod, rendering the whole 'rootaccess' point entirely irrelevant.
Oh look, more ignorance, although in this case, it's forgivable. You can almost be guaranteed that CyangoenMod on the One will NOT include root access out of the box, because then their build of Android would not pass Google's Compatibility Test Suite (CTS) which it requires any Google-Apps partner to run. If you want root, you will have to go through a process of getting it (official process, yes, but again, not out of the box).

Look, some things you say may be valid for you, but you're extrapolating far too much and in some cases you're really not thinking your ideas through. You lack a lot of empirical evidence to support your empirical claims and easily Google-able facts concerning things like video compression and Android security issues are not outside of your grasp but you don't include them either.

Simply put, you believe you are right about your opinions simply because you want them to be right and you find yourself surrounded by other (particularly Galaxy users) who always want to be right. But Google is not stupid, they know what they are doing. Before getting outraged, I'd give them the benefit of the doubt and research before coming to a conclusion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red5 View Post
Yeah, like people read the OP. Thats the best place to keep a secret on XDA.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LiquidSolstice For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
Entropy512
Old
#34  
Senior Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 24,360
Posts: 13,267
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Owego, NY

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSolstice View Post
That would be a terrible idea. Do you understand how Android data partitions work? If the entire 64GB was reserved solely for apps, you would have no room for pictures, music, images, movies, save data, logs, documents, nothing.

Ignoring the fact that if your apps (not including games) are totalling almost 4 gigs (also ignoring the fact that TouchWiz takes up a HUGE amount of space to begin with), it's clear that you need to look and see whether or not you really use every single app you have installed.

I highly doubt there are any apps that clock in at 1GB in size. Games, maybe, but not regular apps. And even then, large games do not install all their apps directly to the data partition. They grab a starter/main APK from the Play Store, and then they continue to download the rest to /data/media (as they should be doing if the developers have any clue what they're doing).
Um, /data/media is on the same partition...

All that guy is asking for is unified storage ( /data/media ) which has been the standard since ICS for new devices. (Unfortunately, Oppo has had a tendency not to follow this standard because Chinese users just can't let go of UMS apparently.)
*so much sig updating needed*

My Github profile - Some Android stuff, some AVR stuff

An excellent post on "noobs vs. developers"

A few opinions on kernel development "good practices"

Note: I have chosen not to use XDA's "friends" feature - I will reject all incoming "friend" requests.

Code:
<MikeyMike01> Smali is a spawn of hell
<shoman94> ^^^ +!
Code:
<Entropy512> gotta be careful not to step on each other's work.  :)
<Bumble-Bee> thats true
<jerdog> compeete for donations
 
LiquidSolstice
Old
(Last edited by LiquidSolstice; 2nd May 2014 at 09:27 PM.)
#35  
LiquidSolstice's Avatar
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 4,448
Posts: 4,647
Join Date: Jan 2008
Removed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red5 View Post
Yeah, like people read the OP. Thats the best place to keep a secret on XDA.
 
popwhale
Old
#36  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 4
Posts: 12
Join Date: May 2014
Shut up, and take my money!
 
tiny4579
Old
#37  
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 4,177
Posts: 7,787
Join Date: Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSolstice View Post
Originally, I assumed he was hoping that the available space for applications was the full 64GB. Apps (as in user installed apks) do not go in /data/media, they go in /data/app. If the entire 64GB was reserved for that, there would be no "room" in /data/media for anything else. As far as I know, there is no "hybrid" solution where the device storage is magically balanced between the two sources.



Now that is truly insane.

Regardless, seeing as I wasn't aware how Oppo specifically handled storage, I have edited my post.
On /data/media devices there is one single /data partition that is about 85% of the entire storage.

/data/media gets mounted as fuse and actually the available space is shared between apps and sdcard. So yes it is a hybrid in the sense it's shard, but it's not as it's only one partition.

Sent from my One using Tapatalk
 
Entropy512
Old
#38  
Senior Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 24,360
Posts: 13,267
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Owego, NY

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiny4579 View Post
On /data/media devices there is one single /data partition that is about 85% of the entire storage.

/data/media gets mounted as fuse and actually the available space is shared between apps and sdcard. So yes it is a hybrid in the sense it's shard, but it's not as it's only one partition.

Sent from my One using Tapatalk
Yup. On devices with unified storage, you'll see that /sdcard (emulated) and /data are the same size and have the same free space - since they're really the same partition. So yeah, it does "magically" balance the two partitions because it's really just one.

Specifically, /data is the only partition. /data/media is remapped to /sdcard using a special FUSE daemon
*so much sig updating needed*

My Github profile - Some Android stuff, some AVR stuff

An excellent post on "noobs vs. developers"

A few opinions on kernel development "good practices"

Note: I have chosen not to use XDA's "friends" feature - I will reject all incoming "friend" requests.

Code:
<MikeyMike01> Smali is a spawn of hell
<shoman94> ^^^ +!
Code:
<Entropy512> gotta be careful not to step on each other's work.  :)
<Bumble-Bee> thats true
<jerdog> compeete for donations
 
LiquidSolstice
Old
#39  
LiquidSolstice's Avatar
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 4,448
Posts: 4,647
Join Date: Jan 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropy512 View Post
Yup. On devices with unified storage, you'll see that /sdcard (emulated) and /data are the same size and have the same free space - since they're really the same partition. So yeah, it does "magically" balance the two partitions because it's really just one.

Specifically, /data is the only partition. /data/media is remapped to /sdcard using a special FUSE daemon
Clearly, my understanding of the data partition is highly outdated.

I got rid of the offending posts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red5 View Post
Yeah, like people read the OP. Thats the best place to keep a secret on XDA.
 
he_stheone64
Old
(Last edited by he_stheone64; 6th May 2014 at 04:57 PM.)
#40  
he_stheone64's Avatar
Recognized Contributor / Themer
Thanks Meter 10,776
Posts: 4,982
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Vienna & Düsseldorf
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowLea View Post
I honestly wouldn't know what the size of.. is that a quarter? is.

I don't see why I should have to pay extra for something other, both more expensive and cheaper, bigger and smaller phones have by default.

And that brings me to "Why should I have to carry an additional device when I could just as well store it inside the phone in a tiny slot that costs nothing to add?" It's a hole, why should I pay more for less device?

Believe me, I'm not the exception. I've a fair bit of insight into mobile sales, and having an expandable memory is still one of the main selling points of a great many well-selling smartphones. (All of Samung's Galaxy Note & S line, for one). (Admittedly, there are also a great many people too stupid to even know the difference between an SDcard and a SIMcard... "Can I store my apps on my SIMcard?" /facepalm)

On an average day, I get about 25 people asking me "Can I put more GB in it for my music?" In a country with 17 million people, that's a lot for one shop. Why do you think the Nexus devices aren't selling as much as the S4 and S5? Can't be the price. Even if you take away the marketing part of the sales. People don't want a device they can't expand.

Even if not for videos and music, how are you going to store photo's taken with a 16MP camera on a 16GB phone? Particularly one that has only 4-9GB available for use? Do you simply not have apps?

Not everyone has the data package or the signal strength to sync photos to cloud all the time. Try doing that on the, over here very common, 250MB data package. That's what, 15 photo's? We don't have unlimited data packages, and 3G isn't exactly covering more than 60% of the country. Plus we have borders every 200-500km! Do you lot realize what roaming costs? 2 euro per MB (Why do you think the HTC One has such a crappy low-megapixel camera? (and the iPhone))

Not to mention, take the 4K filming... 4K recording with only 9GB internal storage free? Good luck with that!

I know how KitKat 'breaks' the SDcard. Except that it really doesn't. Even if you're not rooted, most big apps have long since been altered to use the SDcard again.
That is of course completely ignoring the fact that the OnePlus comes with Cyanogenmod, rendering the whole 'rootaccess' point entirely irrelevant.
Wow - if I just had more time, there would be so much stuff to respond, but some guys already did anyway. Just 2 short comments:

1. IF I want to buy a station wagon because I need the storage space, I would not go to the local Porsche dealer and complain about the fact, that a Porsche does not have enough space. I go to a dealer who offers a car for MY NEEDS and buy it there.

2. Nexus vs Samsung success - compare distribution (POS) and marketing funds and you have the main answer. It is no coincidence that the 2 companies with the largest distribution and marketing dollars spend enjoy the biggest success (Apple, Samsung) and this with a 100% contradictory SD card concept!

3. Sure there are good reasons for many users still using an SD Card and I´m fine with that, BUT don`t forget there is also the other side of the medal. Since you aren`t a developer you surely don`t spend a lot of time on developer.android.com, but here are just some reasons, why using a SD can be troublesome both for devs and users after unmounting and mounting an SD (and there are even more...)

Services

Your running Service will be killed and will not be restarted when external storage is remounted. You can, however, register for the ACTION_EXTERNAL_APPLICATIONS_AVAILABLE broadcast Intent, which will notify your application when applications installed on external storage have become available to the system again. At which time, you can restart your Service.

Alarm Services

Your alarms registered with AlarmManager will be cancelled. You must manually re-register any alarms when external storage is remounted.

Input Method Engines

Your IME will be replaced by the default IME. When external storage is remounted, the user can open system settings to enable your IME again.

Live Wallpapers

Your running Live Wallpaper will be replaced by the default Live Wallpaper. When external storage is remounted, the user can select your Live Wallpaper again.

App Widgets

Your App Widget will be removed from the home screen. When external storage is remounted, your App Widget will not be available for the user to select until the system resets the home application (usually not until a system reboot).

Account Managers

Your accounts created with AccountManager will disappear until external storage is remounted.

Sync Adapters

Your AbstractThreadedSyncAdapter and all its sync functionality will not work until external storage is remounted.

Device Administrators

Your DeviceAdminReceiver and all its admin capabilities will be disabled, which can have unforeseeable consequences for the device functionality, which may persist after external storage is remounted.

Broadcast Receivers listening for "boot completed"

The system delivers the ACTION_BOOT_COMPLETED broadcast before the external storage is mounted to the device. If your application is
installed on the external storage, it can never receive this broadcast.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to he_stheone64 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes