A harsh reminder of why I abandoned Samsung years ago...

Search This thread

Eric214

Oct 24, 2012
Philly
The thing i find funny is the people that scream for updates are the people who take them the instant they are available then find that they have bugs and then scream how can i go back to whatever the prior version of the software was. The one they are told you can not downgrade they start screaming and demanding people on XDA , namely the devs, to fix the issues immediately. Seasoned Android users know to never take a OTA until it's been deemed safe and no major bugs unless you're willing to take the chance and are helping the community.

So to scream about updates not releasing in a timely manner is moronic knowing that only nexus devices or Google play editions are the only ones that get the updates the quickest.

The original poster probably doesn't doesn't even realize the issues that kk has brought to a lot of devices. And you need root to fix them. And if he had root he can just put a ported 4.4 Rom on his device.

ewok666

Apr 4, 2006
My wife recently upgraded her phone contract to get the new Galaxy S5, and for a relatively small cost extra, they threw in the Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition LTE (SM-P605) which I quickly claimed for myself. :)

However, it was not long before I was reminded why I abandoned Samsung devices years ago in favour of the Nexus range. The first thing I did when I got home was check for a software update. Nothing at all. Very disappointing for two reasons.

1.) It was still running a 4.3 build from August 2013.
2.) There was no multi-user support; something I was relying on so that my wife and I could share the tablet. This was especially strange considering this feature is available in vanilla 4.3.

So after some searching, I was briefly excited to see that the Kitkat update for the 2014 Edition had landed mere days ago. I began scouring the Internet... Turns out, this update is only for the SM-P600!!! ARGH!

A bit more scouring... Verizon have the tablet on their network right? And they are LTE... And I read something about a Kitkat update for their device! Nooooope! That devices is the SM-P605V.

So here I sit, back in the Samsung camp, completely at the mercy of their erratic update-rollout schedules whilst all of their other tablets EXCEPT mine are enjoying the Kitkat goodness.

God only knows when or if I'll even see a 4.4 update on this device - I'm not holding my breath.

Edit: I'm starting to wonder where I could flash the SM-605V ROM on my device. Seems like the only difference is the LTE band support. I only use Wifi at the moment, so if the worst that can happen is that I lose mobile data, I'd be okay with that.

Screw the kitkat update. It will only bring you bugs, probably no multi user and break sd card access.

Just flash the Hongkong ROM for a decent 4.3 update.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

WJThomas

Jan 20, 2012
LOL

The grass is always greener. The forums for EVERY Android device I have ever owned has threads complaing about the lack of updates, or the speed of the update process.

I have switched manufacturers to get better support. From my viewpoint, they are ALL the same.

StNickZA

Dec 1, 2009
Auckland

I did this last night and it definitely feels snappier in general use. Coupled with the fact that I can now enable multi user, I am definitely happier than I was yesterday.

However, it just highlights the point that I made originally. Its not just about the KitKat update; it is about ALL of Samsung's updates. Why is it that here in my country, the LATEST ROM available officially, is five months older than the one being used in Hong Kong. Unless you're prepared to manually update via ODIN (and most aren't), then you're stuck with an inferior product until Samsung decide to get around to bringing you up to speed. This is just unacceptable. Samsung make some great devices, the 10.1-14 being one of them. But you're only fooling yourself if you think that they can't do better when it comes to software updates.

Essentially, Person A can buy a product in Europe, and Person B can buy the SAME product in Hong Kong and get a superior experience because of Samsung's archaic update policies. The software is there, it works - as proven by countless users brave enough to circumvent Kies! But Samsung won't give it to us. To those people that are posting here and saying that this is OKAY, frankly, you deserve the level of support you're getting.

graewulf1

My wife recently upgraded her phone contract to get the new Galaxy S5, and for a relatively small cost extra, they threw in the Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition LTE (SM-P605) which I quickly claimed for myself. :)

However, it was not long before I was reminded why I abandoned Samsung devices years ago in favour of the Nexus range. The first thing I did when I got home was check for a software update. Nothing at all. Very disappointing for two reasons.

2.) There was no multi-user support; something I was relying on so that my wife and I could share the tablet. This was especially strange considering this feature is available in vanilla 4.3.

So after some searching, I was briefly excited to see that the Kitkat update for the 2014 Edition had landed mere days ago. I began scouring the Internet... Turns out, this update is only for the SM-P600!!! ARGH!

A bit more scouring... Verizon have the tablet on their network right? And they are LTE... And I read something about a Kitkat update for their device! Nooooope! That devices is the SM-P605V.

So here I sit, back in the Samsung camp, completely at the mercy of their erratic update-rollout schedules whilst all of their other tablets EXCEPT mine are enjoying the Kitkat goodness.

God only knows when or if I'll even see a 4.4 update on this device - I'm not holding my breath.

Edit: I'm starting to wonder where I could flash the SM-605V ROM on my device. Seems like the only difference is the LTE band support. I only use Wifi at the moment, so if the worst that can happen is that I lose mobile data, I'd be okay with that.

I hate to burst your bubble, but this isn't unique to Samsung. Most device manufacturers lag behind Google's releases by months. If you're on an lte device it's even worse because the mobile carriers control the release of the upgrade, not the device manufacturer. If you don't want to wait, root and install someone else's Rom. I've been running kit Kat for weeks now on mine.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Elim

StNickZA

Dec 1, 2009
Auckland
I hate to burst your bubble, but this isn't unique to Samsung.

No, you are 100% right, it's not only Samsung. And I can appreciate that there's a lot of work that needs to be done when it comes to porting each manufacturer's skinned version of Android every time a new version is released. But I think that when it comes to regional ROM releases of the same version like in the Hong Kong example above, Samsung is probably worse than the likes of HTC and LG. Sony on the other hand are notorious for being easily approachable by devs, and they provide AOSP code for many of their devices. Samsung could learn a thing or two from them in this regard.

If you don't want to wait, root and install someone else's Rom. I've been running kit Kat for weeks now on mine.

If you can show me a custom KitKat ROM for the SM-P605, I will gladly install it.

rushless

Jan 16, 2008
Had I had known 128gb micro sd cards would not work, I would have not bought this. I have tried several other tablets and phones as well. All but the 2014 work fine with 128gb cards. Pure lameness.

rirawin

Oct 13, 2011
I did this last night and it definitely feels snappier in general use. Coupled with the fact that I can now enable multi user, I am definitely happier than I was yesterday.

However, it just highlights the point that I made originally. Its not just about the KitKat update; it is about ALL of Samsung's updates. Why is it that here in my country, the LATEST ROM available officially, is five months older than the one being used in Hong Kong. Unless you're prepared to manually update via ODIN (and most aren't), then you're stuck with an inferior product until Samsung decide to get around to bringing you up to speed. This is just unacceptable. Samsung make some great devices, the 10.1-14 being one of them. But you're only fooling yourself if you think that they can't do better when it comes to software updates.

Essentially, Person A can buy a product in Europe, and Person B can buy the SAME product in Hong Kong and get a superior experience because of Samsung's archaic update policies. The software is there, it works - as proven by countless users brave enough to circumvent Kies! But Samsung won't give it to us. To those people that are posting here and saying that this is OKAY, frankly, you deserve the level of support you're getting.

What is this HK Rom please?.

What benefits does this have over other official 4.3?.

Plus would this void my warranty, and is there a quick quide to flashing to this rom please.

dr.m0x

Oct 28, 2010
Auckland
You kind of hit the nail on the head. People for whom updates are a critical feature shouldn't buy Samsung products. The sheer scale of the number of devices they offer, types of devices (Wi-Fi, 3G, 4G), and overly complex system of different s/w by region makes them notoriously slow at updates. Knowing that I buy their products anyway because I like the quantity and quality of their unique features; most of which aren't available elsewhere. Am I happy about it? No. Did I expect it? Yes. Do I think *****ing about it is going to help? No. Want fast updates? Buy a Nexus or GPe device. It's that simple.

Yeah pretty much. I don't buy Samsung products for speedy updates, I buy them because they have features that I can't get elsewhere.

Sent from my SM-P905 using Tapatalk

GalaxyNotesTx

Jan 25, 2014
Hell I love Samsung , Have my Note 3 (rooted on 4.3) and Note 10.1 2014 tab (rooted on 4,3) both are outstanding . The thing is I have a life and don't dwell on things like a Samsung update .Funny this is ...They have both the KK Updates and I refuse to take them..hearing all the bugs and most importantly.. Losing root. No thanks!

Sent from my SM-P600 using XDA Premium HD app

BretonGirl

Jun 4, 2012
The Big Apple
You do realize that when you buy a carrier branded tablet updates are at the mercy of said carrier, not Samsung? Samsung has zero control over when a carrier decides to push their updates. All they can do is send the update to the carrier, then it's out of their hands. Why are you berating Samsung? Go scream at the carrier instead if not having KitKat yet is such an insult to you.

Reactions: GalaxyNotesTx

GalaxyNotesTx

Jan 25, 2014
You do realize that when you buy a carrier branded tablet updates are at the mercy of said carrier, not Samsung? Samsung has zero control over when a carrier decides to push their updates. All they can do is send the update to the carrier, then it's out of their hands. Why are you berating Samsung? Go scream at the carrier instead if not having KitKat yet is such an insult to you.

Best reply of 2014 ,,,PERIOD.!!!!

Sent from my SM-P600 using XDA Premium HD app

fsi22

Dec 1, 2011

Considering what a great tablet it is , I use mine for meetings and showing clients samples on the run , I would have to say that if this is your reason for not enjoying how fully functional it is , you are missing out . I'm also from Durban but got a P600 from Amazon so on the US firmware which has multi user since 4.3 .

StNickZA

Dec 1, 2009
Auckland
Considering what a great tablet it is , I use mine for meetings and showing clients samples on the run , I would have to say that if this is your reason for not enjoying how fully functional it is , you are missing out . I'm also from Durban but got a P600 from Amazon so on the US firmware which has multi user since 4.3 .

Once again, I *am* enjoying the tablet. Just because I feel let down by one aspect (software updates) doesn't mean that I'm regretting the purchase or that I'm not still happy for the most part. I've said elsewhere in this thread that I'm enjoying it and that I think its a fantastic device. It's just a shame that it is held back by updates.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

I don't know why people are getting on the ops back about it. He's absolutely right. Yeah the device still works but it is annoying that you see Ipads and Nexus devices getting timely updates. The most annoying thing about it all is that I can say as a long time Samsung customer that yes its because of the number of devices but mostly it's because they don't care as much about their customers once they've paid for a device.

You kind of hit the nail on the head. People for whom updates are a critical feature shouldn't buy Samsung products. The sheer scale of the number of devices they offer, types of devices (Wi-Fi, 3G, 4G), and overly complex system of different s/w by region makes them notoriously slow at updates. Knowing that I buy their products anyway because I like the quantity and quality of their unique features; most of which aren't available elsewhere. Am I happy about it? No. Did I expect it? Yes. Do I think *****ing about it is going to help? No. Want fast updates? Buy a Nexus or GPe device. It's that simple.
    You bought a device you had no prior intention of doing so on a whim at a reduced price and are upset because the latest updates are not currently available to you...? 1st world problems are terrible ain't they...

You bought it as it is, it works 100% as intended. You have no legal right and should have no expectations to any sort of updates - stop whinging and worry about real issues in the world instead.
    The thing i find funny is the people that scream for updates are the people who take them the instant they are available then find that they have bugs and then scream how can i go back to whatever the prior version of the software was. The one they are told you can not downgrade they start screaming and demanding people on XDA , namely the devs, to fix the issues immediately. Seasoned Android users know to never take a OTA until it's been deemed safe and no major bugs unless you're willing to take the chance and are helping the community.

So to scream about updates not releasing in a timely manner is moronic knowing that only nexus devices or Google play editions are the only ones that get the updates the quickest.

The original poster probably doesn't doesn't even realize the issues that kk has brought to a lot of devices. And you need root to fix them. And if he had root he can just put a ported 4.4 Rom on his device.
    I'm pretty surprised by the direction this thread took...

It seemed to be a pretty reasonable post with concerns and questions about the ROM, posted here in a ROM community, and the response has pretty much been "Shut up and stop whinging"