Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,743,085 Members 43,683 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Can't format the system partition (Brick?)

Tip us?
 
numsgil
Old
(Last edited by numsgil; 5th May 2014 at 04:32 AM.) Reason: New information
#11  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 9
Join Date: Mar 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry2999 View Post
You can download a fresh stock image from sammobile.com or the same source you used earlier OR a rooted version courtesy of XDA Developer Mr. Robinson via the following link ... http://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=23269279319199494

Once you have this, save the zip file to an external SD card. Flash custom recovery to your phone. You mentioned you had philz-touch? Or you could flash TWRP or CWM via Odin. Place the SD card in your phone. Boot into recovery mode and flash from the card. Wait for firmware installation to be complete. Clear your cache/dalvik and reboot to system. Hope this works.
The link you posted is actually an Odin flashable image file, so I started another Odin-flash. But now it is unable to do anything too!!! The log in v3.09 is :
Code:
Select Code
<ID:0/003> Added!!
<OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
<OSM> Check MD5.. Do not unplug the cable..
<OSM> Please wait..
<OSM> root66_BMC_I747MVLUEMK5.tar.md5 is valid.
<OSM> Checking MD5 finished Sucessfully..
<OSM> Leave CS..
<ID:0/003> Odin v.3 engine (ID:3)..
<ID:0/003> File analysis..
<ID:0/003> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/003> Initialzation..
And it is stuck there, for like half an hour now... I'm completely confused now, what do I do? Go buy a new one? I hope not (no money right now)...

EDIT :
- Tried my stuck image : stuck on Initialzation again
- Tried root66 with Heimdall : can't establish connection (might be me that did something wrong with zadig)
- Found a PIT file for the SGH-i747M 16GB and tried both with Re-partition enabled : stuck on Initialzation again
- Found a post on another forum about a dude that got the same problem as me and got the answer that the internal SD is dead......Damned...

Am I still crazy or this phone wants me dead?
 
Larry2999
Old
#12  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 74
Posts: 354
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Atlanta, GA
Quote:
Originally Posted by numsgil View Post
The link you posted is actually an Odin flashable image file, so I started another Odin-flash. But now it is unable to do anything too!!! The log in v3.09 is :
Code:
Select Code
<ID:0/003> Added!!
<OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
<OSM> Check MD5.. Do not unplug the cable..
<OSM> Please wait..
<OSM> root66_BMC_I747MVLUEMK5.tar.md5 is valid.
<OSM> Checking MD5 finished Sucessfully..
<OSM> Leave CS..
<ID:0/003> Odin v.3 engine (ID:3)..
<ID:0/003> File analysis..
<ID:0/003> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/003> Initialzation..
And it is stuck there, for like half an hour now... I'm completely confused now, what do I do? Go buy a new one? I hope not (no money right now)...

EDIT :
- Tried my stuck image : stuck on Initialzation again
- Tried root66 with Heimdall : can't establish connection (might be me that did something wrong with zadig)
- Found a PIT file for the SGH-i747M 16GB and tried both with Re-partition enabled : stuck on Initialzation again
- Found a post on another forum about a dude that got the same problem as me and got the answer that the internal SD is dead......Damned...

Am I still crazy or this phone wants me dead?

My apologies! Sorry. Didn't check the file myself but I just assumed it was a zip for recovery. From your log, the MD5 seems valid so it isn't likely to be from the file. If Odin couldn't flash it (and Heimdall didn't work either), could indeed be a problem elsewhere. Believe me, however, your phone is far from being dead or bricked when you can get into download or recovery modes. I'll do some more research and we'll have it figured out.
Can you also try flashing Philz Touch recovery to your phone via Odin from the link below earlier advised by Audit13 and see if you can use it to flash a custom ROM.

http://goo.im/devs/philz_touch/CWM_A..._Edition/d2lte
 
numsgil
Old
#13  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 9
Join Date: Mar 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry2999 View Post
My apologies! Sorry. Didn't check the file myself but I just assumed it was a zip for recovery. From your log, the MD5 seems valid so it isn't likely to be from the file. If Odin couldn't flash it (and Heimdall didn't work either), could indeed be a problem elsewhere. Believe me, however, your phone is far from being dead or bricked when you can get into download or recovery modes. I'll do some more research and we'll have it figured out.
Can you also try flashing Philz Touch recovery to your phone via Odin from the link below earlier advised by Audit13 and see if you can use it to flash a custom ROM.

http://goo.im/devs/philz_touch/CWM_A..._Edition/d2lte
This gives me hope! As I'm not at home right now, did some tests on my Ubuntu Laptop using Heimdall (works better on linux I think) but can't initialize the protocol. In verbose output, it said :

Code:
Select Code
Heimdall v1.4.0

Copyright (c) 2010-2013, Benjamin Dobell, Glass Echidna
http://www.glassechidna.com.au/

This software is provided free of charge. Copying and redistribution is
encouraged.

If you appreciate this software and you would like to support future
development please consider donating:
http://www.glassechidna.com.au/donate/

Initialising connection...
Detecting device...
      Manufacturer: "Sasmsung"
           Product: "MSM8960"

            length: 18
      device class: 2
               S/N: 0
           VID:PID: 04E8:685D
         bcdDevice: 0100
   iMan:iProd:iSer: 1:2:0
          nb confs: 1

interface[0].altsetting[0]: num endpoints = 1
   Class.SubClass.Protocol: 02.02.01
       endpoint[0].address: 82
           max packet size: 0010
          polling interval: 09

interface[1].altsetting[0]: num endpoints = 2
   Class.SubClass.Protocol: 0A.00.00
       endpoint[0].address: 81
           max packet size: 0200
          polling interval: 00
       endpoint[1].address: 01
           max packet size: 0200
          polling interval: 00
Claiming interface...
Attempt failed. Detaching driver...
Claiming interface again...
Setting up interface...

Initialising protocol...
WARNING: Control transfer #1 failed. Result: -9
WARNING: Control transfer #2 failed. Result: -9
WARNING: Control transfer #3 failed. Result: -9
WARNING: Control transfer #4 failed. Result: -9
WARNING: Control transfer #5 failed. Result: -9
WARNING: Control transfer #6 failed. Result: -9
ERROR: Failed to send data: "ODIN"
Releasing device interface...
Re-attaching kernel driver...
And exited, so again not working. And by the way, the link you sent isn't working. Is it this? Which version do you recommend? I used 6.26.6 before and it didn't work.
 
Larry2999
Old
#14  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 74
Posts: 354
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Atlanta, GA
Quote:
Originally Posted by numsgil View Post
This gives me hope! As I'm not at home right now, did some tests on my Ubuntu Laptop using Heimdall (works better on linux I think) but can't initialize the protocol. In verbose output, it said :

Code:
Select Code
Heimdall v1.4.0

Copyright (c) 2010-2013, Benjamin Dobell, Glass Echidna
http://www.glassechidna.com.au/

This software is provided free of charge. Copying and redistribution is
encouraged.

If you appreciate this software and you would like to support future
development please consider donating:
http://www.glassechidna.com.au/donate/

Initialising connection...
Detecting device...
      Manufacturer: "Sasmsung"
           Product: "MSM8960"

            length: 18
      device class: 2
               S/N: 0
           VID:PID: 04E8:685D
         bcdDevice: 0100
   iMan:iProd:iSer: 1:2:0
          nb confs: 1

interface[0].altsetting[0]: num endpoints = 1
   Class.SubClass.Protocol: 02.02.01
       endpoint[0].address: 82
           max packet size: 0010
          polling interval: 09

interface[1].altsetting[0]: num endpoints = 2
   Class.SubClass.Protocol: 0A.00.00
       endpoint[0].address: 81
           max packet size: 0200
          polling interval: 00
       endpoint[1].address: 01
           max packet size: 0200
          polling interval: 00
Claiming interface...
Attempt failed. Detaching driver...
Claiming interface again...
Setting up interface...

Initialising protocol...
WARNING: Control transfer #1 failed. Result: -9
WARNING: Control transfer #2 failed. Result: -9
WARNING: Control transfer #3 failed. Result: -9
WARNING: Control transfer #4 failed. Result: -9
WARNING: Control transfer #5 failed. Result: -9
WARNING: Control transfer #6 failed. Result: -9
ERROR: Failed to send data: "ODIN"
Releasing device interface...
Re-attaching kernel driver...
And exited, so again not working. And by the way, the link you sent isn't working. Is it this? Which version do you recommend? I used 6.26.6 before and it didn't work.
Yes, you have the correct link. Suggest you try an older version like the 6.25.0.
 
numsgil
Old
#15  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 9
Join Date: Mar 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry2999 View Post
Yes, you have the correct link. Suggest you try an older version like the 6.25.0.
Nope...still stuck with the same error at home :

Code:
Select Code
<ID:0/003> Added!!
<OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
<OSM> Check MD5.. Do not unplug the cable..
<OSM> Please wait..
<OSM> philz_touch_6.25.0-d2lte.tar.md5 is valid.
<OSM> Checking MD5 finished Sucessfully..
<OSM> Leave CS..
<ID:0/003> Odin v.3 engine (ID:3)..
<ID:0/003> File analysis..
<ID:0/003> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/003> Initialzation..
What to do now?
 
Larry2999
Old
#16  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 74
Posts: 354
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Atlanta, GA
Quote:
Originally Posted by numsgil View Post
Nope...still stuck with the same error at home :

Code:
Select Code
<ID:0/003> Added!!
<OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
<OSM> Check MD5.. Do not unplug the cable..
<OSM> Please wait..
<OSM> philz_touch_6.25.0-d2lte.tar.md5 is valid.
<OSM> Checking MD5 finished Sucessfully..
<OSM> Leave CS..
<ID:0/003> Odin v.3 engine (ID:3)..
<ID:0/003> File analysis..
<ID:0/003> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/003> Initialzation..
What to do now?
Did some checking. It could indeed be your internal SD card. It could, however, be a simpler problem like the data cable or firewall settings on your computer. Either way, the phone and computer are not communicating correctly. Check the USB cable you are using and make sure it's of very good quality. If using Odin, temporarily disable the anti-virus settings and firewall on your PC (make sure you reinstate them afterwards). Finally, if you find a recovery flashable zip and get into recovery mode, do an advanced wipe and format to remove all existing system prior to flashing new firmware.
 
numsgil
Old
#17  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 9
Join Date: Mar 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry2999 View Post
Did some checking. It could indeed be your internal SD card. It could, however, be a simpler problem like the data cable or firewall settings on your computer. Either way, the phone and computer are not communicating correctly. Check the USB cable you are using and make sure it's of very good quality. If using Odin, temporarily disable the anti-virus settings and firewall on your PC (make sure you reinstate them afterwards). Finally, if you find a recovery flashable zip and get into recovery mode, do an advanced wipe and format to remove all existing system prior to flashing new firmware.
I have no antivirus and the windows firewall is completely disabled (it caused problems when hosting some games). I tried 3 different cables and 4 different USB ports on 2 different computers (without AV and firewall). I tried 4 different recovery softwares : Philz, CWM, CWM Touch and TWRP, and they all can't format the System partition. So I think I'm all out of options here...Anyway, If by any chance you find another thing to try, I will conclude that my phone's dead.
Thank you very much for your help!

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


XDA PORTAL POSTS

Count Cells Like a Pro with White Coat Buddy

There are times when we need to use our devices for things other than playing games, checking … more

Slide Dial Replacement Dialer Lets You Make Calls from Anywhere

If you frequently make phone calls, your dialer (aka phone app)is one of the … more

Navigate with Your Samsung Gear 2 Using DMA Navi Watch

Whether you’re travelling to a new destination or exploring some previously … more