Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,804,641 Members 43,916 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Two SCH-I800s, one dead, one damaged, question about a fix.

Tip us?

tinpanalley
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 13
Default [Q] Two SCH-I800s, one dead, one damaged, question about a fix.

So I've got two SCH-I800s
One's working fine (battery's a little low)but has some cracks in the screen.
The other is in perfect condition but dead (internal storage problem, won't boot, SD booting not working either).

Question is: can I somehow bring the good parts of the two together? Can I take the internals from one and put them in the other? I'd rather avoid replacing the screen because of the methods I've seen for doing so being pretty complicated. I am good with taking devices apart and have been doing so for some time, I just wonder if there's an easy way to do this?
Thanks!!

Deep Nox
Old
Thanks Meter 24
Just google how to replace the screen and digitizer. U think fixya has a youtube video ob how. This will show you how to take them apart. Then just switch the motherboards and put it back together. Just go in through the back cover.

Sent from my SCH-I200PP using xda app-developers app
Sent from a Galaxus tabosaurous REX from 40m below.

tinpanalley
Old
(Last edited by tinpanalley; 5th May 2014 at 04:53 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Nox View Post
Just google how to replace the screen and digitizer. U think fixya has a youtube video ob how. This will show you how to take them apart. Then just switch the motherboards and put it back together. Just go in through the back cover.
Sent from my SCH-I200PP using xda app-developers app
I've seen that video. But what he does is what I was avoiding. I was hoping it wouldn't involve removing the screen from the tablet because then I have to get new adhesive, the tool to take the screen off, etc etc. I was hoping somebody might now if it's possible to just get the insides out and put them in the non broken screen tab I have. Does that make sense?

Is it possible that if I remove the logic board and leave the screen and it's board intact I can just take the actual tabley logic board to the other tablet and it wil run fine? They are both identical SCH-I800s.

Deep Nox
Old
Thanks Meter 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinpanalley View Post
I've seen that video. But what he does is what I was avoiding. I was hoping it wouldn't involve removing the screen from the tablet because then I have to get new adhesive, the tool to take the screen off, etc etc. I was hoping somebody might now if it's possible to just get the insides out and put them in the non broken screen tab I have. Does that make sense?

Is it possible that if I remove the logic board and leave the screen and it's board intact I can just take the actual tabley logic board to the other tablet and it wil run fine? They are both identical SCH-I800s.
Thats what I was talking about. Go in thu the back. Just stop when you get the motherboard out. No need to remove the digitizer and screen. Then put in the other board. Hook up all the connectors, screws etc. The only thing is the meid numbers wont match.

Sent from my SCH-I200PP using XDA Free mobile app

tinpanalley
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Nox View Post
Thats what I was talking about. Go in thu the back. Just stop when you get the motherboard out. No need to remove the digitizer and screen. Then put in the other board. Hook up all the connectors, screws etc. The only thing is the meid numbers wont match.
I know that with my Android phones, I always read that if you swapped parts the software can have trouble communicating with the components and it can cause problems. I will never be selling or sending back these tablets for warranty or anything. Do you think I have anything to worry about? Any possible complications that can arise?

Deep Nox
Old
Thanks Meter 24
I dont think you should have a problem. I swapped the digitizer with no problem. The other stuff- on/off, volume, etc are just controls. Should have no effect. For the meid, just take the one off the back of the tab. Make sure you copy it and keep it safe. Just to be sure l later.