Microsoft to Counter “OK Google” with Bing Torque

When Microsoft is making apps for Android, users should be aware that something … more

Google Confirms “Android Lollipop Day” for November 3rd

A little over a week ago, Google announced the latest iteration of … more

Get Your XDA 2015 Custom Avatar and Signature Images Here

As stated in our motto, XDA Developer is for developers, by developers. The … more

Pin Your Photos on Android Lollipop with Photo Pinner

In the last few weeks,we have been talking quite a bit about Android 5.0 Lollipop. This … more

Touch Test 1.0?

OP AaronM7

30th April 2014, 12:19 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag The Intarwebz
Thanks Meter: 97

461 posts
More
So I just noticed that I got a forced app download called "Touch Test 1.0" that has a black icon. Has anyone else noticed this? What is it, and why did I get it? I also noticed that it has some very spammy reviews, but I can't find any info about it.

Sent from my HTCONE using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
30th April 2014, 02:16 AM   |  #2  
Flag American Canyon
Thanks Meter: 338

746 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronM7

So I just noticed that I got a forced app download called "Touch Test 1.0" that has a black icon. Has anyone else noticed this? What is it, and why did I get it? I also noticed that it has some very spammy reviews, but I can't find any info about it.

Sent from my HTCONE using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

I've read it is Sprints version of "tap to pay"

Speculation: Could be an app that will be required for the sense 6 update to add carrier bloat.
1st May 2014, 01:40 AM   |  #3  
Flag Phoenix, AZ
Thanks Meter: 4

46 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraizk

I've read it is Sprints version of "tap to pay"

Speculation: Could be an app that will be required for the sense 6 update to add carrier bloat.

I doubt both of those guesses. It popped up for update on my LG G2. The developer was listed as "Test Account234234". It would be exceptionally unprofessional for any carrier to push an update this way. Yesterday, 4/29 the app was asking for an update. I didn't install it. Today, 4/30 it is not longer on my list.

Here's my wild guess with malicious intent: Someone wrote a program that allows itself to "update" a sprint factory default screen test app. They setup a "test account" with the google play store to see if an app could be pushed to certain model phones and replace the factory app with this version. This particular app was innocuous, but the exploit could be used for more malicious apps since most users blindly update apps.

My wild guess with innocent intentions: Someone at Sprint or a sprint contract developer goofed and sent a test app for update through the play store with the wrong account.
1st May 2014, 01:48 AM   |  #4  
Flag American Canyon

746 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiker

I doubt both of those guesses. It popped up for update on my LG G2. The developer was listed as "Test Account234234". It would be exceptionally unprofessional for any carrier to push an update this way. Yesterday, 4/29 the app was asking for an update. I didn't install it. Today, 4/30 it is not longer on my list.

Here's my wild guess with malicious intent: Someone wrote a program that allows itself to "update" a sprint factory default screen test app. They setup a "test account" with the google play store to see if an app could be pushed to certain model phones and replace the factory app with this version. This particular app was innocuous, but the exploit could be used for more malicious apps since most users blindly update apps.

My wild guess with innocent intentions: Someone at Sprint or a sprint contract developer goofed and sent a test app for update through the play store with the wrong account.

I love your theory but i highly doubt it goes that far.
1st May 2014, 01:55 AM   |  #5  
Flag Phoenix, AZ
Thanks Meter: 4

46 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraizk

I love your theory but i highly doubt it goes that far.

I agree! It's fun to surmise!
3rd May 2014, 06:25 PM   |  #6  
Flag Northern Mexico... AKA South Central Texas
Thanks Meter: 1,378

1,684 posts

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to the.emilio For This Useful Post: [ View ]
6th May 2014, 04:47 PM   |  #7  
Flag Orange County CA
Thanks Meter: 46

225 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiker

See my sig...
6th May 2014, 06:51 PM   |  #8  
Flag American Canyon

746 posts
More
I have a sprint touch app now so yeah... answers that

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread