Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,733,372 Members 39,339 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Touch Test 1.0?

Tip us?

AaronM7
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 97
Default Touch Test 1.0?

So I just noticed that I got a forced app download called "Touch Test 1.0" that has a black icon. Has anyone else noticed this? What is it, and why did I get it? I also noticed that it has some very spammy reviews, but I can't find any info about it.

Sent from my HTCONE using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Phone-ONE (M7wls)
Hardware-0004
Stock- Rooted (S-Off)
Recovery-TWRP 2.6.3.0
PRI-4.38_003
PRL-55017
Stock Kernel

Kraizk
Old
Thanks Meter 337
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronM7 View Post
So I just noticed that I got a forced app download called "Touch Test 1.0" that has a black icon. Has anyone else noticed this? What is it, and why did I get it? I also noticed that it has some very spammy reviews, but I can't find any info about it.

Sent from my HTCONE using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
I've read it is Sprints version of "tap to pay"

Speculation: Could be an app that will be required for the sense 6 update to add carrier bloat.
HTC 8125
HTC Tilt
Samsung Blackjack II
iPhone 3G
iPhone 3GS
iPad
Motorola Atrix
HTC VIVID
HTC Inspire
Samsung Galaxy Nexus
HTC ONE X+
HTC ONE (SPRINT)
Eee Pad Transformer
Eee Pad Transformer Prime
NEXUS 7

boiker
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraizk View Post
I've read it is Sprints version of "tap to pay"

Speculation: Could be an app that will be required for the sense 6 update to add carrier bloat.
I doubt both of those guesses. It popped up for update on my LG G2. The developer was listed as "Test Account234234". It would be exceptionally unprofessional for any carrier to push an update this way. Yesterday, 4/29 the app was asking for an update. I didn't install it. Today, 4/30 it is not longer on my list.

Here's my wild guess with malicious intent: Someone wrote a program that allows itself to "update" a sprint factory default screen test app. They setup a "test account" with the google play store to see if an app could be pushed to certain model phones and replace the factory app with this version. This particular app was innocuous, but the exploit could be used for more malicious apps since most users blindly update apps.

My wild guess with innocent intentions: Someone at Sprint or a sprint contract developer goofed and sent a test app for update through the play store with the wrong account.
Smartphone History:
Samsung i600>Palm Treo 755p>HTC Mogul>HTC Touch Pro>Samsung Moment>HTC Hero>HTC Evo>Galaxy Nexus>LG G2

Kraizk
Old
Thanks Meter 337
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiker View Post
I doubt both of those guesses. It popped up for update on my LG G2. The developer was listed as "Test Account234234". It would be exceptionally unprofessional for any carrier to push an update this way. Yesterday, 4/29 the app was asking for an update. I didn't install it. Today, 4/30 it is not longer on my list.

Here's my wild guess with malicious intent: Someone wrote a program that allows itself to "update" a sprint factory default screen test app. They setup a "test account" with the google play store to see if an app could be pushed to certain model phones and replace the factory app with this version. This particular app was innocuous, but the exploit could be used for more malicious apps since most users blindly update apps.

My wild guess with innocent intentions: Someone at Sprint or a sprint contract developer goofed and sent a test app for update through the play store with the wrong account.
I love your theory but i highly doubt it goes that far.
HTC 8125
HTC Tilt
Samsung Blackjack II
iPhone 3G
iPhone 3GS
iPad
Motorola Atrix
HTC VIVID
HTC Inspire
Samsung Galaxy Nexus
HTC ONE X+
HTC ONE (SPRINT)
Eee Pad Transformer
Eee Pad Transformer Prime
NEXUS 7

boiker
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraizk View Post
I love your theory but i highly doubt it goes that far.
I agree! It's fun to surmise!
Smartphone History:
Samsung i600>Palm Treo 755p>HTC Mogul>HTC Touch Pro>Samsung Moment>HTC Hero>HTC Evo>Galaxy Nexus>LG G2

the.emilio
Old
Thanks Meter 1311

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk
Nexus 5 AOSP Rom - The.Emilio Unchained - http://forum.xda-developers.com/goog...ained-t2774999
Sprint HTC One - Radios (flashable in recovery) - http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...36&postcount=1
The Following User Says Thank You to the.emilio For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

P_M_G
Old
Thanks Meter 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiker View Post

See my sig...
HTC ONE
REVONE S-OFF
Bad Boyz Sprint ONE ROM 4.4.2 KitKat | Sense 6 Official | v1.0

I'm not saying it was aliens....but it was aliens.

Kraizk
Old
Thanks Meter 337
I have a sprint touch app now so yeah... answers that
HTC 8125
HTC Tilt
Samsung Blackjack II
iPhone 3G
iPhone 3GS
iPad
Motorola Atrix
HTC VIVID