Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,769,248 Members 39,041 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Email Sync Issues

Tip us?

Bigred007
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default [Q] Email Sync Issues

I'm having an issue with email sync. In the email app, one of my email accounts will sync for a few days then just stop syncing. I don't notice it until it dawns on me that I haven't gotten new email in a while. It won't let me manually sync either. At the top, the last sync date will remain static showing a few days ago. I've deleted the account and then set it up again twice and that works for a few days, then it fails again. This is an old verizon.net account that I've never had issues with on any other device. Any thoughts?

Bsmith0731
Old
Thanks Meter 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigred007 View Post
I'm having an issue with email sync. In the email app, one of my email accounts will sync for a few days then just stop syncing. I don't notice it until it dawns on me that I haven't gotten new email in a while. It won't let me manually sync either. At the top, the last sync date will remain static showing a few days ago. I've deleted the account and then set it up again twice and that works for a few days, then it fails again. This is an old verizon.net account that I've never had issues with on any other device. Any thoughts?
Mine was acting up this morning, I just rebooted, and I was able to sync again.

Not sure if that will help, or if you have tried that, but that has helped me.

Sent from my SM-P600 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Bigred007
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bsmith0731 View Post
Mine was acting up this morning, I just rebooted, and I was able to sync again.

Not sure if that will help, or if you have tried that, but that has helped me.

Sent from my SM-P600 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Oh yeah, well past that. I've rebooted, unchecked and rechecked the sync box, messed with the sync settings... the only thing that seems to work is deleting the account and adding it back..

boone8576
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Oh yeah, well past that. I've rebooted, unchecked and rechecked the sync box, messed with the sync settings... the only thing that seems to work is deleting the account and adding it back..
Mine does the same thing. I have yet to figure out a permanent solution.

Kael ruch
Old
Thanks Meter 6

Bigred007
Old
(Last edited by Bigred007; 5th May 2014 at 07:36 PM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kael ruch View Post
With which email provider are you having trouble? Is it Verizon as well? (hoping that we can at least narrow down the problem...)
Thanks!

Also - Is everyone still using the stock email app, or are you having issues with another app too? I'm stock and am getting ready to try something different.

GeorgeP
Old
Thanks Meter 85
Quote:
With which email provider are you having trouble? Is it Verizon as well? (hoping that we can at least narrow down the problem...)
Thanks!

Also - Is everyone still using the stock email app, or are you having issues with another app too? I'm stock and am getting ready to try something different.
I run 4 separate email accounts (POP, IMAP, and Exchange, but not Verizon) and don't have any problems. The only thing I can think of that hasn't already been suggested is to clear the cache and/or data for the email app in the application manager. If this is an Exchange account clear the data/cache for the Exchange services app also.

pennywisdom
Old
Thanks Meter 4
I had an issue with the stock e-mail app not syncing properly with gmail. New e-mails would come in, but old ones that were read would not be marked as read. As such it had over 50 unread e-mails even though the gmail app or gmail website had 2 or 3.

I switched to K-9 Mail which works much better.
My Smartphone history with AT&T:
January 2005: Audiovox SMT5600 aka HTC Typhoon
June 2006: Cingular 8125 aka HTC Wizard
October 2007: AT&T Tilt aka HTC Kaiser
June 2009: AT&T Fuze aka HTC Raphael
November 2009: iPhone 3GS
July 2010: iPhone 4
October 2011: iPhone 4S
July 2012: Samsung Galaxy Nexus GSM/HSDPA+
May 2013: Samsung Galaxy S4 4G/LTE
April 2014: Samsung Galaxy S5 4G/LTE

cjranucci
Old
Thanks Meter 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kael ruch View Post
This dude is just trying to get his post count up. Besides adding nothing to the conversation, he is becoming quite annoying repeating what others say in other threads.
AT&T Galaxy S5

Bigred007
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennywisdom View Post
I had an issue with the stock e-mail app not syncing properly with gmail. New e-mails would come in, but old ones that were read would not be marked as read. As such it had over 50 unread e-mails even though the gmail app or gmail website had 2 or 3.

I switched to K-9 Mail which works much better.
I think I'm going to have to end up running another email app as well.
That leads me to another quandary. K-9 won't do hotmail. Mailbox and Cloud Magic won't do anything but gmail and iCloud. I need to find something that can handle a hotmail (IMAP I think) account, a verizon POP3 account, and a Gmail account. Any thoughts?