[Q] ADB drivers not working

Search This thread

ghosta12

Jul 12, 2012
Hello. Im new to the Nexus 10. I downloaded skipsoft Android toolkit, installed adb drivers in the package and rooted the Nexus and installed recovery..it was easy using the toolkit. So the ADB drivers must have worked- at least in the environment it is used in to do these things. But these drivers dont work to transfer files between the nexus and the computer running winxp. I have USB debugging and PTP, have tried every other dirver package that has been mentioned on all available forums, have tried different usb ports, different cables etc. n my computer the device is recognised as a Nexus 10 but clicking on it gives a blank page, so cannot see the Nexux files. WTF this is driving me mad. Any ideas?

Last edited:

eddiep06

May 21, 2011
Re

Hi Ghosta,

Are you using a USB 3 port? as i have had many strange issues with these the ports. The issue is caused by one of the intel drivers cant remember exactly which way but there is no easy way to fix this. If this is your issues i would try and find if you have a USB 2.1 port you can use or the Esata ports on laptops tend to be usb 2.1 inside...even though they dont look like it haha

Hope this helps

Reactions: ghosta12

peterk-1

Jan 15, 2012
Google Pixel 4a
Google Pixel 7 Pro
Hello. Im new to the Nexus 10. I downloaded skipsoft Android toolkit, installed adb drivers in the package and rooted the Nexus and installed recovery..it was easy using the toolkit. So the ADB drivers must have worked- at least in the environment it is used in to do these things. But these drivers dont work to transfer files between the nexus and the computer running winxp. I have USB debugging and PTP, have tried every other dirver package that has been mentioned on all available forums, have tried different usb ports, different cables etc. n my computer the device is recognised as a Nexus 10 but clicking on it gives a blank page, so cannot see the Nexux files. WTF this is driving me mad. Any ideas?
What does Device Manager show? Device name, its Properties and exclamation mark?
You do know that if your device has a "password" then you must be logged in to see its contents.

Last edited:

ghosta12

Jul 12, 2012
What does Device Manager show? Device name, its Properties and exclamation mark?
You do know that if your device has a "password" then you must be logged in to see its contents.

Thanks for the replies and suggestions. All shows up OK in device manager, the device is not password protected, and the laptop has usb2 ports. I had another try today, after connecting the nexus it shows up in my computer as a camera, labelled nexus 10, with the camera icon. When I click on the icon it opens a special folder, must be a camera folder and the camera and scanner wizard starts. After a while it detects the photos on the nexus ( I have loaded a lot on it via USB otg using flash drive ), but thumbnails of the photos are not downloaded as I usually see when I connect a camera. The wizard downloads photos back to the computer, but each photo is about 18 kB instead of the 2 mb they originally were. So it appears a connection is happening, but a very strange one. I don't like to be beaten on problems like this one, but searching the net has not given me any answers, and I don't understand the android system well enough to know what to try next.

peterk-1

Jan 15, 2012
Google Pixel 4a
Google Pixel 7 Pro
I think your device is working. If you connect it up as it now is and then go into Settings > Storage and tap the top RH corner menu you get the USB Computer Connection and select that and change it to MTP you should find it is now visible in My Computer or after auto install of the driver it will be visible. I'm brain dead - you said you had a PTP connection!

ghosta12

Jul 12, 2012
I think your device is working. If you connect it up as it now is and then go into Settings > Storage and tap the top RH corner menu you get the USB Computer Connection and select that and change it to MTP you should find it is now visible in My Computer or after auto install of the driver it will be visible. I'm brain dead - you said you had a PTP connection!

No PTP conection or MTP connection either. The Nexus also shows up in Device Manger under Imaging Devices when USB deugging is on, which is causing the camera and scanner wizard to start, although it doesnt work properly. When i disable it nothing happens at all. No idea where to go from here.

capnkrunch

Dec 31, 2013
Chicago
Have you tried following the driver install guide from Wug's toolkit? I've never used Skipsoft's but if it doesn't have you delete old drivers properly it's possible there's some old or corrupted driver sticking around from all the installs you've done. If you follow Wug's guide exactly you should end up with the only the correct drivers installed. Also, what ROM and kernel are you using? It's possible the issue is there.

ghosta12

Jul 12, 2012
Have you tried following the driver install guide from Wug's toolkit? I've never used Skipsoft's but if it doesn't have you delete old drivers properly it's possible there's some old or corrupted driver sticking around from all the installs you've done. If you follow Wug's guide exactly you should end up with the only the correct drivers installed. Also, what ROM and kernel are you using? It's possible the issue is there.

I used a program called usbdeview to uninstall every USB driver with an "android" or "adb" description which should have cleaned up my drivers? Then after reinstalling drivers I tried again no difference. I ran android-tools and can push and pull files to and from the computer and nexus, (from command line) so I believe I have eliminated hardware problems and software problems on the nexus. This leaves the computer, which works perfectly with my other android devices running 4.1.1.

peterk-1

Jan 15, 2012
Google Pixel 4a
Google Pixel 7 Pro
Just in case this helps. In usbdeview I have 5 nexus 10 entries. They all have the vendor id of Google 18d1 and a unique Product ID . Which driver connects is related to the device settings:
PID Device settings
4ee1 MTP
4ee2 MTP + USB debugging
4ee5 PTP
4ee6 PTP + USB debugging
d002 USB debugging

With the device connected I can change settings and see the change in connected driver in USBDeview.

ghosta12

Jul 12, 2012
Just in case this helps. In usbdeview I have 5 nexus 10 entries. They all have the vendor id of Google 18d1 and a unique Product ID . Which driver connects is related to the device settings:
PID Device settings
4ee1 MTP
4ee2 MTP + USB debugging
4ee5 PTP
4ee6 PTP + USB debugging
d002 USB debugging

With the device connected I can change settings and see the change in connected driver in USBDeview.

This info does provide me with some way forward. With USB , when connected ptp I have a nexus 10 USB composite device and a nexus 10 digital still camera connected with the green light in USB deview, and also a blank device name, connected, description android composite device with a purple light. I'm guessing purple means not working. But changing drivers does nothing to change the purple light. Switching to mpt gives an additional blank name Google nexus adb interface also with purple light shown as connected. All connected devices show vendor 18d1. Drivers tried 1) clockworkmod (supplied with skipsoft); 2) naked drivers 3) Google drivers. Any clues what to try next?

peterk-1

Jan 15, 2012
Google Pixel 4a
Google Pixel 7 Pro
2 things to check. I just tried running usbdeview from Wug's toolkit. It was v2.0 and wasn't the same as the version I have installed v2.3 - and there have been a significant number of changes. If you have XP pro x64 then you must use the x64 version of usbdeview - again I think Wug's may only ship with 32 bit usbdeview http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usb_devices_view.html You will also find an explanation of the coloured radio buttons.

If you find you need to update usbdeview then I would suggest you uninstall the device drivers (instructions in Wug's toolkit?) then new drivers from http://developer.android.com/sdk/win-usb.html#top and follow the linked install instructions.

ghosta12

Jul 12, 2012
2 things to check. I just tried running usbdeview from Wug's toolkit. It was v2.0 and wasn't the same as the version I have installed v2.3 - and there have been a significant number of changes. If you have XP pro x64 then you must use the x64 version of usbdeview - again I think Wug's may only ship with 32 bit usbdeview http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usb_devices_view.html You will also find an explanation of the coloured radio buttons.

If you find you need to update usbdeview then I would suggest you uninstall the device drivers (instructions in Wug's toolkit?) then new drivers from http://developer.android.com/sdk/win-usb.html#top and follow the linked install instructions.

I gave up completely on this, and connect via wifi using ES file explorer. I bought my wife a new tablet an Acer Aconia A1-830 and it has the same problems, impossible to connect via ADB, with exactly the same symptoms. Yet our phones connect via ADB without a problem, but both are Androild 4.1 or earlier and the tablets 4.2 or younger. Obviously an Android generated problem that arose when 4.2 was released and on which has no fix.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Re

Hi Ghosta,

Are you using a USB 3 port? as i have had many strange issues with these the ports. The issue is caused by one of the intel drivers cant remember exactly which way but there is no easy way to fix this. If this is your issues i would try and find if you have a USB 2.1 port you can use or the Esata ports on laptops tend to be usb 2.1 inside...even though they dont look like it haha

Hope this helps
    PID Device settings
    4ee1 MTP
    4ee2 MTP + USB debugging
    4ee5 PTP
    4ee6 PTP + USB debugging
    d002 USB debugging